Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I own a 06 HL 5 Spot with DHX AIR. I am not happy with the rear shock. It is too complicated to setup, leaks air from secondary chamber, and makes the back of my bike feel numb.

Does anyone have experience with fitting a 3Way/4Way on a spot?

Details (For what it's worth: ) I am 6'1, 180lbs, try to ride as fast as possible both up and down hills, but rarely jump anything bigger than 4' drops. Bike is built fairly heavy with PIKE 454, 823 rims, and sturdy components.

Thanks.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
hi ti. most here and elsewhere havent had very good reliability nor performance with the swingers. ya might look into shock choices in the spot sticky and consider a large can rp23. very simple, can be pushed and now dt approved on the spot. with yer specs it sounds to me like a fine way to go.

the other direction ya could go is to have the dhxa serviced and check out the wealth of tune info for it here in this forum. once set ya rarely mess with it after. most guys at yer weight who ride in a similar mannor seem to like it just fine.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had a 3 way on my Spot and it just did nothing for me.

I got hold of a ti sprung romic and i must admit i'm over the moon with it, great plush feel and fantastic on the way down no matter what i throw at it....just ordered an RP23 from Chad at Redbarn for the up and coming summer endurance races here in the UK as i need something lighter and with less BOB and if its good enough for DT then......

·
Registered
411 Posts
Titanium said:
Hi All,

I own a 06 HL 5 Spot with DHX AIR. I am not happy with the rear shock. It is too complicated to setup, leaks air from secondary chamber, and makes the back of my bike feel numb.

Does anyone have experience with fitting a 3Way/4Way on a spot?

Details (For what it's worth: ) I am 6'1, 180lbs, try to ride as fast as possible both up and down hills, but rarely jump anything bigger than 4' drops. Bike is built fairly heavy with PIKE 454, 823 rims, and sturdy components.

Thanks.
I had a DHX air on my 5 Spot, and wasn't happy with the bike and even considered selling the frame :nono: , I also have a Burner frame :thumbsup:
I recently swithched to an rp 23 on the Spot and love it. You may want to consider this shock. For info, I am 6'2, 215 lbs with gears.

·
George Dickel
371 Posts
FWIW, I have both a 3-way and RP3, and the Fox wins hands down. The 3-way (air) came from my VT and was put on the Spot when I bought the frame used, and it always felt non-compliant and "sticky" to me. I had ridden a Spot with a Romic, so I knew something was not right. Fiddled with the swinger for a while but never got it feeling right, and eventually bought a used RP3 - instant gratification. Way easier to tune, the propedal switch actually makes a difference, and the rear end tracks the ground better without any (perceived) loss of "efficiency." You may pay a bit more for a used RP3, but it is well worth it in my book. Plus when UGI hits you can have it PUSHed. My $0.02.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Ti - I have run a 4-Way air on my Spot and realy liked it. Here's a link - http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=223565&highlight=4way+air

I am currently running an RP3 and it is performs beautifully. I swapped to save weight and to add some on the fly adjustability. I think the RP3 is really the best option for my riding - hard XC with small drops. I'm about 175 to 180. You'll need to mount the piggy back can up to make it fit. I've had no reliability issues after a pretty hard season. The 3-way on my buddy's bike stuffed it, and I sent it back to Manitou. Even though it was a 2004, they replaced it with a 2007 X3 - customer service has really improved since Hayes bought them out. I still have the 4-Way and will probably swap it for the RP3 for trips to Moab and points west (maybe not) I have a DHX air also with both large and small cans and the 4-Way holds its own with all of them. You can find them pretty cheap - I got mine for $120 on the classifieds. PM if you're interested in getting the no-tools air can adjuster. I accidentally ordered an extra. It's a nice upgrade to the basic shock.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.