Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2006 Trek Fuel 80 with a broken swingarm. The swingarm broke on the chain side, right beside the pivot point. Since I am not the original owner, Trek tells me the new swingarm will cost $310. The way I see it, I have several options if I want to keep the bike:

1. Buy a new swingarm and replace the old one. $310 plus my labor

2. Buy another entirely new frame, such as the Jamis Parker 1.0, and use my components on the new frame. $265 plus my labor and any new parts that may be required to fit new frame (??)
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FR289B01-Jamis+Parker+10+Frame+2008+Oe.aspx

3. Have a professional welder repair the old swingarm frame. $50 - $65

As for option 1, I am thinking that $310 is a bit over-the-top for a new swingarm. Plus, what guarantee would I have that the same break might not occur again? The bike was not being stressed out when the break occurred in the first place.
As for option number 2, I am not sure what component parts will and will not fit onto the new frame, so cost to complete is unknown at this point.
Option 3 is a complete unknown for me. I have heard that a new weld can actually weaken the frame.

What are your opinions and hopefully, first hand knowledge on dealing with a problem like this?

Regards
Daddyrabbit56

·
Registered
332 Posts
option 2. repairs can be done sometimes but I wouldn't recommend it, especially if the guy doesn't know bikes. $310 is a good bit of money and it may just break again later. your bike is getting old, especially if you ride it a lot (and I gather that you do) and you can get a new frame pretty easily. Assuming you have disc brakes now, find a frame that is the same travel as yours with a head tube the same length (or a little bit shorter...or longer if you have extra steerer tube length on your fork) and swap your components over. you may need a new headset, derailleur, seatpost and seatpost clamp but everything else should go right over.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts