Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
RambleSS
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I am pretty taken by the whole 29er concept. All the advantages of big wheels sound too good to pass up. I'm likeing the idea of being able to roll over stuff that gives my grief on my 26"s and being able to climb even faster.

However, my current bike is a Fat Chance Yo Eddy with a super tight geomety and is very quick, responsive, and somewhat unstable - I love it. My father has an Independent Fabrications and it handles like a Buick compared to my Fat. Needless to say, I didnt dig that geometry very much.

So, my question is: considering that I like a tight, quick bike, would I not like how 29ers handle? Or does a tight geometry still mean a quick bike? If so, what are some frames with responsive geometries that I should check out.

Thanks a ton for any help and opinions you may have to offer!

Carl

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Welcome to the forum Carl..:thumbsup:

The way a bike handles depends solely on the way it is built. Just as in 26 inch bikes, 29 inch bikes can be made quick handling or slow, depending on who builds it. Handling is the sum of the parts and geometry involved in the build.

What do you have in mind?

A stock frame ... alloy ... steel ... Ti ... SS ... geared ... what?

How much do you want to spend? Custom or stock?

We need more info... :D

·
Registered
222 Posts
DefenderOfRock said:
Hello all.

I am pretty taken by the whole 29er concept. All the advantages of big wheels sound too good to pass up. I'm likeing the idea of being able to roll over stuff that gives my grief on my 26"s and being able to climb even faster.

However, my current bike is a Fat Chance Yo Eddy with a super tight geomety and is very quick, responsive, and somewhat unstable - I love it. My father has an Independent Fabrications and it handles like a Buick compared to my Fat. Needless to say, I didnt dig that geometry very much.

So, my question is: considering that I like a tight, quick bike, would I not like how 29ers handle? Or does a tight geometry still mean a quick bike? If so, what are some frames with responsive geometries that I should check out.

Thanks a ton for any help and opinions you may have to offer!

Carl
Hi Carl,
You can have a builder such as Quiring Cycles build you a very nice steel bike just like your Yo Eddy but with a 29" wheel. Scott's pricing and turn around are very respectable, as well as his welding and painting abilities.
Scott can point you to a great build that will handle as you described above "tight and quick". That is how my Steel Quiring below feels and handles.

Attachments

·
Purveyor of Fine 29erness
626 Posts
The Yo is a quintessntial New England mountain bike. I miss the bikes that Chris used to make, and I have always lusted after the screming green and turquois Yo.It is one of the very few 26" wheeled bikes I would consider buying if I found one in good shape that was my size, and if ti had a 1,1/8" headtube.
The closest thing IMO in ride quality is the NIner SIR 9.
Very agile in the tight and twisty.
G

·
Belltown Brazer
693 Posts
Carl, I made the exact same move as you're considering 3 years ago. I loved my Yo and still consider it to be the best handling bike I've ever ridden. I have owned/ridden a few 29er since then, and now the Yo hangs in a place of honor in my shop.

I first got a Sofa King used from the mtbr classifieds to give the 29er thing a try. It was set up 1X9, and the Yo was SS. I went back and forth between the two for a season, not really being able to tell which was "better". I loved the way the Yo ripped through the twisties, and up and over stuff. I loved the way the 29er rolled and coasted, and it felt like I could ride forever on that thing. Whereas my normal rides had always been about 2 hours long, with the 29 I was wanting to ride longer...4 to 5 hour rides were comfortable.

Perhaps because the Yo was SS, I set it aside when the fall came and continud to ride the 29er. Continued to like it.

In the spring I hopped back on the Yo, and just couldn't believe how much you had to pedal the thing to keep it moving...that is the biggest plus of the 29 for me...they just keep rolling.

I picked up an IF 29er SS again used from the mtbr classifieds. It was Eric Roman's old pink bike. It handled like the Yo, but with big wheels. That very bike converted 5 riders on the spot to the 29 side with a single test ride. I ended up selling the IF to a buddy of mine...and am now kind of regreting that decision.

For my 40th birthday, the family sprung from my very first custom bike: a Ti Strong. This bike literally takes all of the good of 29 and handles like the Yo Eddy. It's my first Ti bike, and it took me a bit to get used to all of the flexing, but I love it. I go back and forth betwen 1X9 and SS on this bike as the season/mood strikes me.

So, the moral of the story is that, yes, you can have a ride as good as the Yo...with the advantages of the big wheels.

If you really want, tell IF you want a bike with the same numbers as Eric Roman's...he was a team rider for them and they probably know the numbers. However, there are plenty of great builders out there. I went straight to the smaller builders, thinking that if yiou have been riding a Yo, you're not going to go the off-the-shelf route.

Good luck!

B

·
i like to bicycle
335 Posts
a few things to consider

my non-corrected rigid 9ers out handle anything i've ridden. but you're committed to rigid at that point. not a bad thing for me. anyways...it keeps the front lower and adds to the quick handling feel.

fats used a 72deg seat. i was really used to that. my newer bikes have a 73deg seat and i like it much better. i think my efficiency is up as a result.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Niner

The Monkey said:
The Yo is a quintessntial New England mountain bike. I miss the bikes that Chris used to make, and I have always lusted after the screming green and turquois Yo.It is one of the very few 26" wheeled bikes I would consider buying if I found one in good shape that was my size, and if ti had a 1,1/8" headtube.
The closest thing IMO in ride quality is the NIner SIR 9.
Very agile in the tight and twisty.
G
Agree here. My SIR is way more responsive than my old Fishers.

·
Registered
115 Posts
So quick it's scary judging by that last photo ;-)

You're right though, any decent builder should be able to design something with pretty responsive handling.

That said, it's still going to handle 'differently' from your Chance - but in my opinion only better - fast but reassuringly stable is how I like to think of it.

Sam

·
Down South Yooper
1,010 Posts
Sir 9

Yeah, I have to reiterate what others have said. I used to have a Fat City Wicked, and the SIR 9 is the closest handling bike that I have ridden. I never put a sus fork on mine, so all my experience is on the stock rigid fork, which is very long. If you're interested, you may want to check the classifieds.

I would also recommend that you look for a Kelly frame/fork. They aren't sus corrected typically, but they handle great, and should be a great sucessor to the FC. Now that they're no longer in business, you might have trouble finding one, but if you happen across one, I'd consider it also.

Plum

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
A misfit would fit the bill nicely. Very fast bike. 45mm offset fork with a 72 head angle, makes for a very fast front end (Trail is 71.6 with an Exiwolf measureing 55mm wide). It is also very stiff laterally, but has better vertical compliance than one might think.

It took me a while to adapt coming off an older Fisher with a Karate Moonkey fork.

·
RambleSS
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome.

Thanks for all of your replys. Im glad to hear that I wont have to lose the handling characteristics by getting some big wheels. The Sir 9 looks pretty dang sweet, but at this point im gonna have to settle on a cheaper frame with as close to the same geometry as possible.

Thanks a ton for your input!

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
My quick 26" hardtail bikes reminded me of sports cars. Fast and maneuverable, with a bit of a rough ride sometimes. Downright squirrely in the wrong terrain.

My 29" hardtail reminds me of a 12 cylinder Euro Sedan, from that car chase above Nice in Ronin. Have you seen Ronin?

JMH

·
Registered
19,137 Posts
If you like quick-handling, then whatever frame you buy make sure to buy some light wheels. 29er wheels can easily stray into the hubba-bubba weight range, which can make your would-be snappy bike feel like a porker. There are several options in the 1600g-1800g range.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.