Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At first I was almost sick to my stomach. Now I just marvel at the hypocrisy of the fish and wildlife group.

Im wondering why they decided to grade a huge portion of the sweetwater river trail starting from steel bridge out towards the reservoir. The hypocrisy of shutting down the downhill lines and then making a 10 foot road through the area seems ridiculous. Not only that, but they left 5-6 inches of silt on top of baseball sized round rocks everywhere on the trail making the trail more unsafe.

I read the signs. They said the reason was for safer more sustainable trails and habitat restoration. How does destroying the natural single track trails and making a 10 foot wide road through the habitat help it? Im just very confused by the actions of the powers at be versus what the community seems to want. Do they want to close off all natural trails and force everyone onto 10 ft wide roads?

Sorry, had to rant a bit.

·
BMF
593 Posts
I rode it last weekend and was bummed to see the changes and re-routes that eliminated what fun there was coming in from the Rancho San Diego side. It seems like a typical Dept. of Fish & Game trail scenario, where they come in and basically turn it into a graded mini fire road. I think there are plenty of other examples where they've done the same. Obviously they have different priorities. Not sure if it was related, but I saw about 100 hikers that morning last weekend which is way more than I usually see there.

·
Registered
142 Posts
At first I was almost sick to my stomach. Now I just marvel at the hypocrisy of the fish and wildlife group.

Im wondering why they decided to grade a huge portion of the sweetwater river trail starting from steel bridge out towards the reservoir. The hypocrisy of shutting down the downhill lines and then making a 10 foot road through the area seems ridiculous.......
MTB Notes

Sweetwater river trail graded...

So where exactly did they grade? Did they cut an entirely new path, or just widen out where there was already a fire road.

Was it along the north side behind the water treatment plant toward the lake, or on the south side?

There is a section of the fire road on the south side, near where a large pipe crosses over the river that turns into single-track is/was in need of "Up"Grading (pardon the pun).

I don't like that off camber Hike-A-Bike section of that trail. Not saying I want to ride fire roads all day long. ( I can do that at Missing Trails Nature Preserve)

Anyhow, I'm just trying to be optimistic. Perhaps those in charge at the F n Wildlife have a master plan. I'm sure since they are government workers that they have OUR best interests in mind right?

...Yes I know where Lake Murray is....

...No, I don't Sanitize trails...

·
Registered
714 Posts
Rode it yesterday and it's not bad at all. Yes the narrow singletrack is missing and a couple of the loose gravel sections have been blocked off but Pikes Peak is much better for climbing with people coming up and down it which has been needed. The trail is smoother now but when combined with lower sections of Rockhouse, it is still a good ride.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya, I rode it again after the bit of rain and it wasnt that bad. The part I was talking about was if you start near the steel bridge and head out towards the reservoir onthe south side of the river.

Maybe I was overreacting at first, but it's not fun to see all the downhill lines closed off for habitat restoration and then one of the single tracks graded. Not the end of the world, but it feels like we are all being forced onto roads, and real natural outdoor experiences are slowly being taken away. Maybe it's just San Diego and I need to move somewhere else.

·
Single(Pivot)and Happy
1,778 Posts
The recent work on the SD National Wildlife Refuge was a joint effort with SD County DP&R to complete a segment of the Sweetwater Loop trail.

The SDMBA Advocacy Committee's next meeting will have guests that will discuss the history, current issues and what will be happenning in the near future in regards to the SDNWR. Everyone that is interested in the area is welcome to attend. Attending such meetings allows one to get first hand, verified factual information as opposed to unsubstantiated opinions found on the internet forums.

Date & time of the meeting will be posted here shortly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.