Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Rockfish
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode Sweetwater yesterday from the Steele Canyon bridge, south side to the horse gate, single track climb to the south, continuation of clockwise loop to the lower gazebo, back to the horse gate via the fenceline xc, back to the bridge on the north side. Here are some pictures. A firefighter crew was working on the south side and vehicles were re-grading the fire roads.

I called both Sweetwater Authority and the Sweetwater Summit Park ranger prior to the ride to see if Sweetwater was open for recreational use. Both people I talked to said "yes." HOWEVER, someone told me yesterday that the trail on the south side of the river to the west of the bridge is under the jursidiction of some wildlife preserve agency within the CA Department of Fish and Game; and that this agency has placed the south side of the river in a CLOSED TO RECREATIONAL USE status and signs will be put up soon. I haven't been able to confirm this because I couldn't get the name of the agency or a POC phone number. Just be aware that this is a possibility.

·
BMF
593 Posts
What a shame. Living in the city, Sweetwater is one of my staples. I guess I'll be riding Mission Trails more. Funny how it seems lately one or the other is burnt! Here's to Sweetwater making a quick comeback!

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
One of the fires was started by a kid soooo maybe not shootem'all. It will come back we got erased in the early 1990's, its all ready way overhead brush. Here's to gentle rains this winter.... so next spring it will be sooo green it will hurt the eyes ;)

·
Registered
815 Posts
Great pics!

It's amazing how fire can change the landscape. But don't despair about riding there - after the initial shock, I found it interesting to ride in my local mountains after they burned a few years back. You see things you never could see before, and it's interesting to watch the succession as the plants come back. The wildflowers are never better than shortly after a fire. Agreed about the wish for gentle rains this winter, though - some of our streams got buried in a foot or more of sediment from erosion the first winter after the fire.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Breaks my heart to see those pics. Before running away to Colorado I rode Sweetwater regularly. Considering that was what could qualify around SD as a wooded area, it is just crazy to see it burned out.

Because it sat at the base of Mount Miguel that trail has always been one to get massive run-off. Now is probably the time to start adding rock armor to some of the more famous rut forming sections, because with no vegetation there will be nothing slowly the water and debris if and when rains do come.

I feel for everyone who has had to live through this kind of hell twice. I really can't believe it happened again.

·
San Diego County
1,475 Posts
Nice Pictures

Poster Nutbag said:
Breaks my heart to see those pics.
I live a mile from the iron bridge. The blackened terrain doesn't break my heart as it will be renewed and fresh again... soon.

It's the homes and lives that were lost and the thought of the Feds (National Wildlife Refuge) telling me I can't ride MY FRICKEN SINGLETRACK!

Now that hurts :bluefrown: There's absolutely no logical reason to keep people on foot, on horses or on bikes out of that area.

Chris

·
Registered
645 Posts
Stay on trails!!!

Just rode sweetwater for the first time since the fires this morning, very weird. Anyway, lots of little side trails off of the main trails. Please people, stay on the trails, now is not the time to blaze a new path. This just gives us mtn bikers a bad image.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead. :thumbsup:

I just visiting this area this afternoon for the first time, and didn't venture into the burn areas today, but plan to soon.

Do y'all have some pre-fire pictures to share so I can see what I'm missing?

·
BMF
593 Posts
I went a couple weekends ago and Sweetwater is looking pretty good. The brush will take a little longer to come back, but there were plenty of small plants already growing, and a lot of grass. It's amazing what a little rain can do - so green out there. Would have been perfect if a bunch of equestrians hadn't been out too soon after a rain.

Has anyone climbed up Mother Miguel or San Miguel? Just curious as I usually drop down after climbing the single-track from the east end of the reservoir up the saddle along the north side of Mother Miguel (the trail that takes you by the little pond). I am wondering if it's worthwhile climbing up any of the peaks around there or if it's just fire-roads all the way down - always looking for some good long, epic rides.

·
San Diego County
1,475 Posts
My home turf

Kristatos said:
Has anyone climbed up Mother Miguel or San Miguel?
Yup :D

Kristatos said:
I am wondering if it's worthwhile climbing up any of the peaks around there or if it's just fire-roads all the way down - always looking for some good long, epic rides.
Plenty worthwhile :thumbsup: Always an adventure if you look and enjoy.

·
BMF
593 Posts
Cool - I'll give it a shot next time and have a look around. I agree for the views alone it is probably worthwhile, but I am hoping there is some good fun on the downhill too. Probably even just the climb would be fun in a way since I like climbing - there I said it.

·
San Diego County
1,475 Posts
xc/am is all that's there

It's mostly hardcore XC stuff with interconnecting fire roads. Some dudes with big legs made miles of single track up there. Makes me cry some days (and cramp later) but I like it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Duzitall said:
It's mostly hardcore XC stuff with interconnecting fire roads. Some dudes with big legs made miles of single track up there. Makes me cry some days (and cramp later) but I like it.
Now's the time to check it out too. Those trails may not be as easy to find again in our lifetime, so find them now to remember for after the brush grows back.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts