Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i don't own one yet...but i was thinking about a Surly 1x1. how do you guys like riding rigids? i mean i fell in love with mt biking riding my rigid huffy. suspensions nice but it'd be fun to have a rigid again. nothingfor hardcore riding but just to dink around on.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I don't have a 1x1, but I do have a Monkey and a Crosscheck. Riding rigid is, well...rigid! That's not a bad thing, but it's an eye-opener if you have not rode a full rigid bike in a while. Downhills can be brutal if they are rough, but most of the time a fully rigid bike is not bad. And the snappy acceleration and responsiveness is unparalleled! I'm glad a full rigid is not my only bike, but it's a fun change of pace.

Oh, landing a jump is not bad at all; in fact I like the way it feels. Maybe it's the consistency of having no suspension on either end of the bike. And they were not huge jumps, no more than two feet of air.

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
I run mine with a Talas 130 RLC so I have a choice...

I can either lock it out or leave it open, as well as play with the travel. When it's locked out it climbs and handles, well, like a rigid should. What size and build are you looking for, also, where are you located? Besides mine, I know of other's locally that would consider letting you use a loaner.

view mine at:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=147976

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm not sure on size. i currently ride a medium sc heckler and a medium gary fisher hardtail. both are about a 17 bb to top tube i believe. surly has 16 as small and 18 as medium correct? i'm about 5'8", inseam 30" maybe. what size do you guys think? as far as build, i'd like to keep it cheap and simple. i'm open to suggestions here as i'm a ss newb. i'm looking to get this project within the next couple months...nothing too immediate. oh and i'm in Southern Cali(near san dimas)

thanks

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I haven't got mine yet since I just about to pick up my 1x1 tomorrow after almost 3 weeks of waiting...
I already got all the stuffs to put on though...And yes, even a rust protector was already ready...
Cant wait any more longer...Cheers... :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
jr711 said:
i'm not sure on size. i currently ride a medium sc heckler and a medium gary fisher hardtail. both are about a 17 bb to top tube i believe. surly has 16 as small and 18 as medium correct? i'm about 5'8", inseam 30" maybe. what size do you guys think? as far as build, i'd like to keep it cheap and simple. i'm open to suggestions here as i'm a ss newb. i'm looking to get this project within the next couple months...nothing too immediate. oh and i'm in Southern Cali(near san dimas)

thanks
I would go with the medium. I am right at that same size and have a 16". It works, but I will be looking for the next size up when I can.

·
Hoopy Frood
255 Posts
Sizing

jr711 said:

thanks
It's kind of odd that you would ride both a medium Santa Cruz Heckler (which have short top tubes for their size) as well as a medium Fisher (which have long top tubes for their size). I used to ride a medium (17.5") Fisher hardtail which has a 23.9" top tube. If I rode a Santa Cruz, I'd go with a large to get a similar top tube length.

I'm 5'11" with a 33.5" inseam and ride a large (20") 1x1. I chose the large over the medium because the top tube length was identical to my other bikes. When sizing, I try to find a frame with the top tube I like and then just make sure the standover clearance is enough.

I'd guess you would ride a medium 1x1 but you should try to ride a couple to make sure.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Sizing

jr711 said:

thanks
I would say go for the medium (18") as I am 5'8" also and rides a medium Chameleon (22.5"TT same as Heckler) and a medium Blur (22.7"TT) and both using a 110mm Thomson stem on it and it just feel right for me...

For my upcoming medium Surly 1x1 (23" TT) I would just consider a shorter stem like 100mm or even 90mm to compensate for the right fit...

You wouldn't go wrong with the medium size for sure...Cheers....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Surly 1x1

jr711 said:
i don't own one yet...but i was thinking about a Surly 1x1. how do you guys like riding rigids? i mean i fell in love with mt biking riding my rigid huffy. suspensions nice but it'd be fun to have a rigid again. nothingfor hardcore riding but just to dink around on.
I just got a Surly 1x1. The first ride reminded me why I ride an Ellsworth Truth. However, after my second ride on the 1x1 'it' clicked. It is the freedom to just ride and not worry about gears, shocks, etc. It reminded me why I love mountain biking in the first place...the pure freedom to ride with no distractions.

If you are considering a SS, I would encourage you to get one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.