Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
one more time
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just fitted a set of Formula 'the one' brakes on the nomad.

Havent given them a true workout but after a blast round the streets i gotta say the feel superb. Seriously the modulation is on a different level to anything ive tried and they are POWERFUL...

I was running Hope mono M4's previously but had a quite a few problems... stuck pistons and problems with alignment. As you may know the Hope's have the shim based lateral adjustment which is a pain in the preverbial. The Hopes were awesome when dialled in but I really wanted something less maintenance heavy.

Im running 08 XT's on my single speed and 29er (yeah sorry for the niner in the background - im sure to cop some flack for that) and I reckon they are awesome too but these are in a different league.

Ive always had a problem with one finger braking cause Im not the smoothest rider around but it seems with these that more than one finger is just a waste of time... they really are that powerful.

Currently Im running a 220 rotor on the front which I guess is overkill and Ive got a 200 backup so we will see how things go.

In case your interested Im 220lbs with gear so like to have plenty of power on demand.

Let me know what you think...

Attachments

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
It seems all you hear about those brakes is good. Their higher end models are supposed to be great, so I won't be surprised if they perform well for you. Damn...220 rotor!...beefy. I'm thinking of putting dual 200's on the front of mine...moto style...LOL!

Good looking bike, benz. Are you still enjoying the ISX? Mine is fixin' to get a 2-week Moab workout...again. Oh...on that Niner...can you say "Lunchbox"...LOL!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice brakes. Those are BIG rotors!

It looks like your RWS axle sticks out about 4cm on the lever side!? Is that an optical illusion? Do they work well with the King hubs? Tell any difference?

Still like the ISx?

·
one more time
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TNC - dual 200's!! you gotta be taking the piss right???

Yeah the nomad is a sweet ride - makes me grin ear to ear everytime I take it for a hack. I have to say out of all the upgrades i have made the evolver shock is the best... followed closely by the speedball. (too early to claim a win on the brakes). Seriously the other day I did a 25 km cross country ride then mucked around at the jump park doing a bunch of 6 foot drops... the shock is unbelievably versatile... superb on the trails and can handle some decent drops with a fat creep like me on board.

Yeah that RIP9 top tube is a hazard! (I presume thats what you are talking about???) I initially bought a large size and it was like riding a circus bike! Felt like I was on a freakin horse! Swapped it out for the 08 medium and Im much happier.

Looking forward to seeing the photos of moab - give it heaps!

HR - stoked with the evolver. Money well spent. The protruding plastic bit is actually the connection of one of those rear wheel bike stands. To be honest I really cant tell the performance difference between that RWS and a standard shimano QR but I really like the positive clamping action on the frame - its super easy to get it torqued up nice and tight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts