Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
VRC Hound
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had a look at the bike today. It is a Mongoose Co-Union. It was a bike that was used by the Mongoose team aparantly. It looks like a first gen Mongoose titanium except that part of the rear triangle is cro-mo. It was really weird.

The bike is a real fixer-upper. The parts are basically garbage. The wheels and the cranks might have some salvage value, but not much, and the rest is waiting to be binned. The frame is neat although it needs an extra helping of TLC to shine.

Ultimately I passed.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
bushpig said:
I had a look at the bike today. It is a Mongoose Co-Union. It was a bike that was used by the Mongoose team aparantly. It looks like a first gen Mongoose titanium except that part of the rear triangle is cro-mo. It was really weird.

The bike is a real fixer-upper. The parts are basically garbage. The wheels and the cranks might have some salvage value, but not much, and the rest is waiting to be binned. The frame is neat although it needs an extra helping of TLC to shine.

Ultimately I passed.
Did the seller know this? :(
It was entirely missrepresented if he did.

·
VRC Hound
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't answer how the join was made, but I can say where, and it is weird. The cro-mo portion begins about an inch or two above where the wishbone of the seatstays comes together at the top and about three or four inches from the dropout on the chainstays.

Do you have any idea why Mongoose/Merlin thought this composite design made sense? The only thing that comes to my mind is to add some rigidity to the rear end, but in that case I would think bolting the rear on a la XCR would be easier.

·
Neo-Retro Forever
1,576 Posts
I believe at the time, Ti bikes were still in their infancy and tooling, etc for dropouts, brake bosses and stuff were super spendy. By attaching a cromo rear triangle (which I bet is bonded tube-in-tube, which is an affordable, easy process compared to the bolt-thing) save a huge hunk of cash.

back then, ti was as big a marketing thing as it is now (if not bigger)

A half Ti bike is better than a no-ti bike, I guess.

rb

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,469 Posts
Somehow I missed this earlier in it's life!

So, it look more like someone spray painted the back end black. Not saying that's what happened, as the drops are plainly not typical Merlin, but the joinery is so flawless, it's all I can think.

Was it sleeved, bonded, and then finished off to smooth it with brass or bondo or what?

Even the close up shots don't reveal any kind of joint.....

Man, another Merlin I never knew about.

I love this place sometimes!

·
Registered
8 Posts
it´s made for mongoose a variation of their John Tomac Signature, if I´m not wrong.
http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge/PDF/Mongoose/Mongoose1990.pdf

I think it´s from ´89, painting looks a bit different.
MOMBAT: Mongoose History

here you can see where the join was made: welcome to classic merlin titanium

or here nice story of a mate ridden such a beauty in the past
My 1989 Merlin/Mongoose John Tomac Signature | Retrobike

hope I get it unspoilt for a nice build ;-)
somebody here who can offer a set Interloc brakes ?
think they would mesh great with this frame
Cheers
Ralf

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
here´s a bit info, too
mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge/PDF/Mongoose/Mongoose1990.pdf

and here you can see where the join is made
merlintitanium.com/mongoose_titanium_xxx.html

Hi CCMDoc, read your RBUK thread from yours yesterday evening, couse first hope to get the frameset unspoilt ;-) and find parts for a nice build then ...
do you think Interloc brakes would mesh with it, have kocmo straigth ti forks available, was your change satisfying ?

·
Team Brooklyn
1,665 Posts
here´s a bit info, too
mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge/PDF/Mongoose/Mongoose1990.pdf

and here you can see where the join is made
merlintitanium.com/mongoose_titanium_xxx.html

Hi CCMDoc, read your RBUK thread from yours yesterday evening, couse first hope to get the frameset unspoilt ;-) and find parts for a nice build then ...
do you think Interloc brakes would mesh with it, have kocmo straigth ti forks available, was your change satisfying ?
Was it the thread on my 89 Merlin/Mongoose?
That one is all Ti and I raced it back then.

As far as forks on it, the first was a Bontrager with variable rake (Dinosaur???) dropouts. It was pretty good but also pretty flexible. Since the Tange Switchblades are copies of the Bontrager fork, I expect them to be about the same if not more since my weight has risen linearly with the years that have passed.

I ordered the current titanium fork from Mike Augspurger and it was/is less flex than I remember the Bontys had but I fully understand why Tomac went with Accutrax forks on his 89 Ti Mongoose. I plan to try the same.

Ti forks from BITD are great for soaking up bumps and reducing fatigue but not so much in terms of directional precision.

I think the IRC brakes will be fantastic and I look forward to seeing your bike built up and on the trails. My own Ti/Prestige frame will be doing the same soon.

Good luck and post pictures as you go forward.

·
Registered
8 Posts
thanks for the informatory answer, yes, my mistake - full ti Mongoose thread, very excited and inspired of this / yours experience !

Think I´ll test forks, Tange switchblades and Pace 1.gen. here, too, or maybe sometimes an Accutrax crosses my way ;-)

I´ll send pics, first it has to arrive ;-)
I am very excited for the frameset ...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.