Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At long last. 3 weeks sitting at the LBS, 1 part after another didn't work out. Mostly ending with the Hope Mono 4's, which wouldn't work becuase the front is a 200mm w/built in adaptor and I've got centerlocking hubs which are hard to find in a 200mm.

Anyway, here we go, non-stock items include:

Fork non-stock Silver REBA
wheels Trek/Fisher special issue XTR centerlocking on Bonty Mustangs
skewers XTR
rotors XTR Centerlocking 160
tires Nano Raptor - Kevlar
bar Titec Pluto Carbon 1" rise OS
levers Shimano XT Hydro
brakes Shimano XT Hydro
grips BMX
post Titec Carbon XC
saddle Titec Ithys Gove Ti
cables super slick - can't remember brake - there is no metal in these cables
bb XTR M952
cranks XTR M952
pedals Eggs

I feel like it's pretty light, but not sure if I can nail the weight down. I think a safe bet is around 27+.

Had to flip the stem to get it to feel perfect.

Size is Large - hence the layback style post...otherwise I would keep the stock Bonty carbon on there.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Darik said:
Pretty good, but you should wait two weeks when I unveil my new sugar. I be sure to post pics :cool:
I'm just not going to be able to tolerate it if you post a more pimped sugar...that's just not right!! :D

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
Nice Build - I am curious to hear how it compares to the Lenz ridewise...

House looks new as well (or either you just keep your yard super-manicured)

Congrats on either or both -

LP

·
Registered
568 Posts
That is another sharp looking bike you got there Nate. The "special issue" wheelset is interesting. Are they wheels that come on another model from Trek/Fisher -- would seem strange for Trek to sell a wheelset standalone. Definitely the nicest looking and well-spec'd Sugar I've seen (yet?).

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
endure26 said:
That's a nice looking bike. I love that color. I also like GF's very suttle use of decals - not a billboard.

Are the Kevlar Nano's a recent purchase or are you living off a stash? Understand they're coming back from WTB.
They must be readily available...my LBS just ordered them a couple weeks ago...a set for me, a set for my newly converted LBS owner, which in itself is the 7th sign of the apocalypse (that he's a beleiver).

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lanpope said:

LP
good eye...the house is new as of last june...so coming up on a year...so technically I already lived here when I had the Lenz...shot the lenz on the side of the house, whereas the photo's are in the front/garden area...wife's a bit wild on plants...I planted 3 larger tree's last weekend, and i've got 5 to go...2 japanese maples, 1 dogwood, 1 regular maple, can't remember the 5th one...mostly small ones this time though...oh my back!!

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lanpope said:

LP
I'll be racing it Sunday, so should be able to give somewhat of a comparison...

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
escamillo said:
Nice, and here I was thinking of dumping mine once I got the replacement from GF. When you selling that thing and what happened to the Lenz?

e
No immediate plans for selling...in fact, our race team has a "must keep for a season" when you buy a bike under the team deal...however, I didn't exactly get the TEAM deal pricing, so not sure what all that means...and then of course they're not much left but the frame of the original bike, so....but on the good side, I'm not willing to lose money, so that will probably turn most buyers off...no one wants to spend this kind of scratch on a Fisher...may as well buy a Lenz, toss a XTR kit on it and call it a day.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Padre said:
Nice Nate!
I hope it gives you at least 3 weeks of pleasure.

A few questions...
Is that Reba set at 80mm or 100mm?
How does your flat handlebar have 1" of rise?
we should start a bet on how long I keep it. Smart money is on full season.

This reba came at 80, I had it changed to 100...LBS dude (big fork DH guy) said it was more of a pain to change than he suspected...this being my first reba exposure, I must confess it's a slick fork, major tuneability, the poplock fockin' rocks...

The bar is ultimate cool...very slight 1" rise, and with it being OS you can barely even tell by looking at it that it has any rise at all....My previous favorite bar of all time was the Titec Hellion Ti bar...now they don't make them, so this bar I beleive has the same "geometry" just that it's OS and carbon...

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Suicyco said:
That is another sharp looking bike you got there Nate. The "special issue" wheelset is interesting. Are they wheels that come on another model from Trek/Fisher -- would seem strange for Trek to sell a wheelset standalone. Definitely the nicest looking and well-spec'd Sugar I've seen (yet?).
Yea, it's both weird and strange. I didn't know about them until a month or so ago when I went to Little Rock to buy that other 292 for a buddy of mine from that shop in LR that is the highet volume 29er Fisher dealer in the country...the shop that got Gary himself to come down to the Ouachita Challenge and race, and bring Cameron Chambers (who soundly romped everyone).

Anyway, so I'm there, I'm buying the 292, and I'm about to spec my 293 frame, and I'm talking to Richard (owner, major 29er dude and serious all around Ex class badass), and he's like "man, Trek/Fisher offered these wheelsets to dealers once only -- last year, I bought like 8 sets of them, I've got 1 set left"...now anyone who knows me knows what happened next....

I've posted these before, but here's a really good shot:

here's the front, i reckon at this angle, it just looks like a xTR...the centerlocking mechanism is really neat....i'm sold...now if King adopted this, I'd need (more) medication, as I'd be opt to take a 2nd mortgage on the house to buy a truck full of them...

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Gorgeous!

I'm very much looking forward to your ride report, as well as your comparison to the Lenz. Lets just say that your pictures have made me consider a GF when I wasn't before... Sounds like you may be the only person with time on both bikes, so I'm sure I'm not alone in anticipating your feedback.

Do you know what the frame weight is?

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
ncj01 said:
At long last.
She/he's a beauty, Nate! Well done and enjoy this ride. What kind of traction can a set of those Nano's provide in all kinds of terrain and condition riding compared to the ACX's?

I placed my bet with the local odds maker/bookie on the duration of ownership for your new Sugar. If you make it to October, I lose a bundle of money. Maybe not as much as your company's stock has tanked, but I'd lose some cash.

Hey, what's up with the big ticker symbol WMT anyway? How many more 52 week lows before everyone starts to worry, panic and dump their shares?

BB

·
Bunker Hill Bikes
308 Posts
Sugar is sweet!

Great Sugar. The spec is awesome!

I have my Sugar 293 spec'd with Nanos and the ride is fast! I went with a carbon Bonty post and the ride is better when combined with the rear suspension.

I was a Bonty ACX user, but after putting significant time on Nanos, I do not think I will go back. In sandy Michigan, the Nanos wash out a bit, but that is when the sand is deep and loamy.

Anyways, great Sugar! Now ride that Monster!!

---Chad

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Nate, do tell about the Nano's, can you tell the difference from the steel ones?

And why, going from an XL to L, did you go for more seatpost setback rather than just a longer stem?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.