Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I like the idea of a Magic on a HT/SS or a Specialized Epic 29er (if it comes), but not married to a fully active rear suspension. Seems to me that would be a weird combo.

willtsmith_nwi said:
Sounds to me like they're having trouble selling the White Brothers fork.

·
Cassoulet forever !
2,260 Posts
Soupboy said:
Yeah, I like the idea of a Magic on a HT/SS or a Specialized Epic 29er (if it comes), but not married to a fully active rear suspension. Seems to me that would be a weird combo.
If you use a modern shock, like an RP3, or an SPV, then you don't have a fully active rear.
There's a platform. and it matchs White Brothers's IMV platform.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gotta disagree with you. The IMVs I've seen are locked-out until something hits to release it - a la the Brain on the Epic.

This is decidely different than a platform that typically allows some amount of travel but with enhanced resistance to rider/pedaling inputs.

Call it semantics but an RP3 - even PUSHed like mine - is closer to "fully active" than an IMV or Brain unless you just turn off their guts altogether. I can adjust the compression rate on my Fluid to simulate the feel of my RP3 in any setting.

20.100 FR said:
If you use a modern shock, like an RP3, or an SPV, then you don't have a fully active rear.
There's a platform. and it matchs White Brothers's IMV platform.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The following is uninformed speculation:

I wonder whether this has any connection with Chris Cocalis leaving Titus (who build the Asylum frame). I know that Chris from Speedgoat worked extensively with Chris from Titus to design the bike, and the two had a great relationship.

Seems odd that Speedgoat would be putting a frame that had been strong seller (at least last year) on such deep sale. Maybe they just over-estimated the demand this year. . .

I'm guessing that this issue isn't an over-abundance of WB forks, as Speedgoat usually does the free King headset promotion to clear out quantities of current model year forks.

Regardless, I wish I had $2k to throw at this. . .

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
benny profane said:
I wonder whether this has any connection with Chris Cocalis leaving Titus (who build the Asylum frame). I know that Chris from Speedgoat worked extensively with Chris from Titus to design the bike, and the two had a great relationship.
I have been wondering the same thing since I read the thread about Cocalis leaving on the Titus board.

There was also this on the Titus board a few weeks ago:
hammerheadbikes said:
at some point, titus will be making a production aluminum 29er and stopping production for Asylum.. it WILL happen at some point
I wouldn't be surprised to see it at IB this year
I would take this with a grain of salt, but it seems pretty plausable.

Assuming it is true, you could see where Speedgoat might be trying to unload the remaining Asylum frames before the Titus RX29ers are announced/released.

·
Work Shed...
563 Posts
and the price could drop even more when and if that happens.. and if'n youre gonna wait that long for a FS 29er, why not just get yer a turner:skep:

:thumbsup:

·
Cassoulet forever !
2,260 Posts
Soupboy said:
Gotta disagree with you. The IMVs I've seen are locked-out until something hits to release it - a la the Brain on the Epic.

This is decidely different than a platform that typically allows some amount of travel but with enhanced resistance to rider/pedaling inputs.

Call it semantics but an RP3 - even PUSHed like mine - is closer to "fully active" than an IMV or Brain unless you just turn off their guts altogether. I can adjust the compression rate on my Fluid to simulate the feel of my RP3 in any setting.
Well, for me there are 2 different factors.

1 is the ability to stay closed whatever force you put on the shock if ridden on flat ground. This is the special category for brain and terralogic technology. Imv does not provide that.

2 is the fact that the shock is fully locked out or not in "locked" position. For example it is not the same on an epic (fully locked out) vs enduro with brain (stiff but not lock out).
I do not own an rp3 shock, but i know that the spv stuff is fully lock out until a hit comes.

If this is the case on an imv fork, it is possible to find the according rear shock, even before WB release their imv shock !

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
The Asylum price was just raised, right? Without that, you'd just get a friendly discount on the fork and headset. It IS a sweet deal though, you could do a lot worse than that.

·
Work Shed...
563 Posts
2300$????! Youre telling me that a short travel XC 29er frame will become the second most expensive frame that turner makes? A full 500$ more than a flux? That seems kind of unlikely

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.