Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem.

SWEAT.

If I layer 'properly' so that I am warm, with a good breathable outer layer, I still sweat so much that I get soaked.

In fact, I get soaked even with no outer layer, but in winter it's worse.

My usual layering for extreme cold weather is merino wool>fleece>goretex

this works fine for snowboarding, but for biking my exertion level is way higher

the problem is with the goretex. Because I'm hot on the inside and cold on the outside, the swear condenses on the inside of the Goretex instead of passing through it.

I get the same problem with supposedly more breathable fabrics.

I was looking at soft shells today but don't want to spend 150-200 bananas only to find I have the same problem

I don't get cold -- the wool is still warm when wet, which is a blessing -- but by the time I arrive somewhere I'm literally soaked through. If I stop to rest, that gets cold very quickly and has caused muscles spasms on occasion.

suggestions, anyone?

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually I am pretty religious about being hydrated

because if I'm not I get dehydrated almost instantly, massive headache and so on

·
Registered
185 Posts
I always wear a t-shirt under whatever and it helps draw the sweat. That with a pullover and I am good to go.
The layering may be the issue.
$.02

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
You need a wicking layer as the first layer (wool doesn't cut it) then a light fleece layer then the outer layer. Don't wear a waterproof outer layer if it's not required. I live in the Pacific Northwest and don't wear a waterproof outer unless it's really pissing down.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
lebikerboy said:
You need a wicking layer as the first layer (wool doesn't cut it) then a light fleece layer then the outer layer. Don't wear a waterproof outer layer if it's not required. I live in the Pacific Northwest and don't wear a waterproof outer unless it's really pissing down.
^^^ What he said. You have "too much" going on, Pinky. :nono:

Here, from MEC, with love .....

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...older_id=2534374302692363&bmUID=1169524343067

Wear that with one of their long sleeve jerseys and leave the GoreTex at home. ;) If you feel the need you can always go with their thicker long sleeve jerseys ..... beats that fleece stuff, hands down.

Keep the wind protection duties to a simple, thin layer. Something with a front zipper helps, but I find the biggest improvement to be found with outers that have zippered underarms. :thumbsup: :cool:

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it happens even with lighter outer layers as I said.

What would you suggest as a wicking inner layer? I think the Merino is really good.

What I would really like is a very breathable, very windproof outer layer. And screw the waterproofing.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AndrewTO, you ride in the same conditions as me. What do you wear for -5 to -10C?

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
also, AndrewTO, what did you pay for your diSSent?? PM me if you like.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
This is what I'd suggest for a base layer...

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...older_id=2534374302699205&bmUID=1169525470195

You need to get the moisture away from your skin to maintain a warm dry layer which in turn keeps you warm and just generally makes you feel better.

By the way, who are you going to believe...some guy from Toronto or someone from the North Shore located in the area where mountain biking started in Canada as well as the home of MEC?

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not overdresssed. I'm not too hot... I'm comfortable but WET. If I wear less I am cold. If I strip off during a ride I get chilled. Trust me on this... I do a lot of cold weather stuff (boarding, snowshoeing, biking). Biking is the one that has me foxed.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
OMG would you cut that out?!?!??!??!?

j/k :p :D

Okay, wicking layer - ummm, I posted a link to MEC (just in case, they're Canadian, eh?!). Did you check it? More importantly, did you READ it? Go check it again.

I've got 2 of these and they're ****ing AWESOME! My first time out with one of those and a thin, MEC brand long sleeve jersey - I lost 2 pounds. Believe me - I DON'T need to loose any weight. I was friggin' roasting ..... and dry. ;)

What do I wear in -5 -10? A house. :lol: :lol: I wear what i've mentioned (the undershirt, thin long sleeve jersey) and a Race Face jacket. I don't know which model it is, but if it's not called "The Oven" i'd be surprised. :p It has a zippered front and underarms and those zippered underarms are a godsend!

Now, the IMPORTANT part to remember here is that all of that above should really mean SQUAT to you. I don't know how you're built or conditioned, but i'm 6'4" and weigh ~150 all nakey like. This means i'm a walking, talking popsicle stick. I'm almost snake-like, not generating much of my own body heat. I ***** when i'm cold and when it's 35*C outside i'm kicking ass. I'm built and conditioned totally different from you - keep that in mind. It's VERY important.

Dissent price - use the link in my sig to check prices and remember they're in US$ (converter on right side of page). Keep in mind I bought mine as a frame, fork and wheelset. If you have any more Qs about it feel free to P.M. me.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unfortunately you are all suggesting base layer stuff I have tried. (I wore that stuff for three seasons before going to the merino). The merino is better in every respect.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
pinkheadedbug said:
Unfortunately you are all suggesting base layer stuff I have tried. (I wore that stuff for three seasons before going to the merino). The merino is better in every respect.
Okay, since you put it THAT way - have you tried substituting the GoreTex with anything else, like a double layer of fleece or anything?

I'd offer to loan you my RF jacket, but ..... you're far, man. :eek:

lebabyboy :eekster: - he's gonna believe me because I live closer, say things like "****ing awesome" and am riding my bike through 3 INCHES of snow ..... not diggin my way from under 3 FEET of it. :eekster: MEC doesn't have Army connections like Mel does (used to) ..... biatch.

:p :D

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the thing that has come closest to working is double-layering fleece, exactly, but it isn't quite windproof enough

just assume I am a sweaty pig who generates insane amount of moisture

like I say, windproof and uber-breathable would do me fine

my goretex/mycroft pit zips are always open even @ -20C

·
Crunchatize me Capn'
2,899 Posts
I sweat a ton also. I'm 6' 1" 200 (right now 220...man I need to get out more) lbs. Here's my set up in 22-30 F deg weather

Craft longsleeve S3 baselayer. Merino wool sweater. Nashbar Crossroads VEST. The vest keeps the warmth around my torso in place and I usually have to unzip the vest at least half way while riding. When I stop, I find the wool and zipping up my jacket keep me warm for about 10 min. Long enough that I could easily fix a flat if need be. The only thing I find really wet after my ride is a small area in the back of my shorts that I wear under my tights. I've done this for rides upto 4.5 hrs. Below 22 deg I add an UnderArmor equivalent long sleeve base layer (not the cold gear type). I may switch to the cold gear equivalent around 15 ish mark. I've found that switching to the vest has made a huge difference for me. Before I would wear regular jackets and have to roll up the sleeves which of course blocks venting potential. Even wearing less layers than I do now under the jacket still made me roast.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Generally Merino Wool is probably one of the better, if not best, base layers you can get.

As you said, do you think it's condensation from the Goretex, or is it the fact you're actually sweating? If you jump on the exercise bike and ride for 10/20/30 minnutes at heavy effort (80-90% of max Heart rate) do you still sweat as much?

If you do sweat a ton on the exercise bike, it will help you decide what you need to replace. It could even be the fleece jacket you're wearing which isn't allowing your Gore outer to breathe the way it was designed.

May I suggest you try without the fleece layer any way. The one thing I always carry with me when I am hiking/backpacking, or cycling, is some sort of headwear. The general rule is that as much as 80% of your body heat leaves through your head, so with this in mind can I suggest you wear something like a Buff or thin hat under your helmet, and try cutting out the fleece.

A Buff is a tubular piece of material, they're pretty popular because they're so versatile. You can use it as a head band if you get too hot, it keeps the sweat off your face and if you want it as a hat, balaclava, bandana, boob-tube, mini-skirt, etc etc you can.
Oh, and it fits under your helmet pretty easily!

The reason I'm suggesting the fleece is you've said you need the waterproof outer, and there are many more ways of keeping yourself warm than there are keeping yourself dry.

What Gore jacket, and what fleece are you wearing?

For reference; a buff: something like a combi-buff, polar-buff or the standard buff.
http://www.buff.es/newen.htm

i've typed this over about 45 mins while I'm working, so it may or may not make sense. Hope it helps!

·
Registered
19,115 Posts
pinkheadedbug said:
Do you like the merino better than synthetics? I think the wool feels cozier but have found that it gets wetter than a polyester. CoolMax feels nasty (slick, static-prone and synthetic) against the skin but I've never had it feel wet. It makes a good first layer even though it feels gross.

Some of the Patagonia Capilene stuff is very nice, although pricey.

Soft shells do breathe much better than hard shells.

Do you take time to add/remove layers while riding? As soon as you feel yourself heating up, do you stop to strip a layer or two? When you stop for those rest breaks on which you've been getting chilled, do you then put your layers back on? Or are you just riding with whatever you left the trailhead in without ever changing?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.