Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for info on why I should build a 29er over a 26er. Pros cons etc to why one would be a better choice over the other whether it be terrain handling or rider size. Of which I'm 6'4".

Thanks!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Unless you're doing extreme downhill or freeride, I can't think of a situation where a 29er wouldn't be better for someone your height.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
There are countless threads detailing the pros and cons of 29" wheels, so I won't go through them. At 6'4" you can all but guarantee you'll be happier on a 29er. I'm 6'5", you'll be amazed at how much better it feels to have a bike that is proportional to your height, not to mention the other benefits of a larger wheel. Demo both on real trails, I have a feeling the decision will be an easy one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For my size is why I was thinking a 29er after reading a few threads on here. And a quick brief, I've never ridden out of other than necessity, transportation etc. So now I have my 96 RockHooper for that and I'd like to build a bike for fun, from paved to gravel trails, to light trails and maybe a little beyond if interest/ability is there.

I don't drive, and there aren't really any easy to get to LBS's for me so it's hard to go testing.
:thumbsup:

FYI, if I go 29er most likely I'll be using this frame.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-29-MOUNTAIN...5584182?pt=Mountain_Bikes&hash=item27b41deb36

·
Underskilled
4,816 Posts
There are tons of Pros and Cons of 29ers, generally most are barely noticable.

The biggest thing for me is at 6'7 the first bike that felt like it fitted me was a 29er.

I ride AM/DH, can't tell you if the improve angle of incidence is of noticable benefit, however the fit is perfect.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
noot said:
Unless you're sold on the "building" part, I'd consider buying a motobecane complete bike. Impossible to beat the price/value.
Yeah, I really won't have the cash up front for quite sometime and the fine art of saving money eludes me. But I can easily buy decent components here and there, even if I end up spending more in the long run, it seems to work better in my little noggin lol.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Thorsteenster said:
Yeah, I really won't have the cash up front for quite sometime and the fine art of saving money eludes me. But I can easily buy decent components here and there, even if I end up spending more in the long run, it seems to work better in my little noggin lol.
It seems like developing a little will power to save would be the best choice in the long run, but whatever works for you. Just remember that if you don't have the tools or knowledge re: bike building it may cost you a lot more than you expect.

The 29er is the best option for you unless you ride extreme terrain, as already mentioned, or extremely tight singletrack. A 29er will tend to be a little slower in the tightest of singletrack, but for the average rider, at least as fast in most other situations.

·
Token Hillbilly
712 Posts
I'm 5'5" and I ride and love both 29er and 26.

For my 26, I love the twitchy feel of it. It rides like a pissed off hummingbird flying through a briar patch.

For the 29er, I love the confident, solidly planted and steadfast feel.

I won't talk anyone out of riding one or the other, I'd simply tell you to find what fits and ride the ***** out of it. Then again... you're quite a bit bigger than me. :)

·
Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
Ripmo
3,429 Posts
schnee-super funny

Mt Bike Action has 26 29 shootout. Good article. I ride way better on 26 (5'6"), but there are some obstacles I can ride over only w/ my 29er. Wierd but true.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Of the seven bikes I currently ride regularly only one is a 29er. And that's a hard tail which I can use on more open trails with less tree roots to buck me round. If I was to get a dedicated endurance or Super D race bike I would get a 100mm 29er. And that is pretty close to where it's at for 29ers.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.