Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been out that way? I don't care about getting dirty but don't want to do trail damage either. I realize it's probably wishful thinking but figured I'd check if anyone had any info.

Thanks -

·
Registered
851 Posts
PD2, Mt Penn should be rideable. Most of the snow down here is gone. Haven't been on it but the south side is clear. North side still has some snow here and there. Probably some sloppy sections. Itching to get out. I go spin the cranks on the Rocky just to listen to the hubs.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Trail at Parking lot.
Swatara 3.jpg

Past first corner....
Swatara 2.jpg

B trail at 443.
Swatara1.jpg

A trail at the lot has up to 2" of clear ice.

South faces are decent, north faces are garbage. It's going to be a while. ....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks for the pics DethWshBkr as I wondered what Swatara looked like.

Got a report from a friend that Rattling Creek still has ice and fairly deep snow on the trails. He and his buddy bailed and rode the road around to get a riding fix.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My assumption would be it's muddy, I live close and walk my dogs there often.

I also know most of the trails around there, (stony valley RR grade *was here yesterday*, Appalachian trail) are still pretty wet.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I rode here yesterday and the trails were in excellent shape. I would imagine they'll be good tomorrow afternoon and definitely fine for Sunday.

·
Registered
694 Posts
was great

had the chance to hit it today with some friends, conditions were great!! lots of folks out enjoying the beautiful weather.

·
Registered
Santa Cruz HT2 (CC, XT), Stigmata (CC, GRX800)
630 Posts
Hopefully today's sun dried up any wet/mud that may have formed as the result of yesterday's rain/snow.
Plan to head down there tomorrow morning. Been looking forward to this all week. Short of some cardio rides at Roaring Creek, this will be my first "real" ride of the season.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Just got back from Swatara. The trails are in pretty good shape. There were a couple muddy spots, but can be avoided to prevent trail damage.

The SE side (I believe) of Trail B had a couple downed trees.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Only 1 muddy spot, just before the first creek crossing when doing all rights. Other than that, just two trees down, one is massive at the top of the "long" B climb just before C, and one small but brushy one before the muddy area before the first creek crossing.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Just got back from Swatara and the trails are in excellent condition. As barnold74 mentioned, all the downed trees are cleaned up. Trails are dry - no mud. I did all "rights," except on "D", which I ran clockwise. After finishing all the trails, I re-rode A1, cause it's such a fun loop. Great ride!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts