Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't heard much lately about the current conditions at Swatara? I know the Pine Grove area has been absolutley hammered over the last couple of months. Been over to the SAMBA site but not much there. Anyone with good intel? Thanks...

BW

·
Registered
55 Posts
Was just up there yesterday. Trails are in perfect condition!

Saw a ton of cut logs and cleared limbs on the sides of the trails, big thanks to the crew that maintains the land. They did an awesome job after the rough weather lately:thumbsup:

·
Registered
111 Posts
im guessing you guys got hammered up there on Saturday? I know we did down here in the Reading area. Tons of trees down, we'll be chainsawing for weeks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A tale of my trip to Swatara...

I stopped by this past Wednesday around noon after a morning visit to the dentist and doctor. They both concurred that I have a limited time left on this planet and I should go straight home and do absolutely no exercise. It was cold, damp, and overcast and I arrived to a packed parking lot with nary a place to park my vehicle. Hunters and bikers were everywhere. There was even a school bus there from Lower Dauphin apparently on a school field trip. Luckily, I had enough layers and my 3 season gloves with me to ward off the chill.The trails were muddy, full of debris, and lacked any kind of flow. The zillions of leaves obscured the trails and I got lost numerous times, or was it because of the poor trail signage and ridiculous non-imba layout of the place. The lack of trail maintenace is obvious. The trails were very technical, lots of rock, and I had to dab so many times that I wore a hole in the tip of my Easy Tone walkers, I even had to keep adjusting the bindings on my toe straps from so many stops, the reflectors on my pedals even fell off. This is one slow speed pedalfest. Actually I had to hike a bike way too many times to count. Heading back to the car after the grueling 3 miles of trails, I got 2 simultaneous flats. After pushing my wounded 26 inch wheeled rigid hardtail up the steep hill back to the parking lot, I was thanking any diety I could think of that I did not do the 2 laps I had anticipated that I was going to do and relected on what I did to deserve such a miserable day and ride. So there ya have it, my Swatara ride/trail report. Oh, did I mention before I left early that morning I had a wonderful opportunity to catch the early morning episode of Sesame Street with my youngest offspring. I believe the theme of the show was "Elmo learns Opposites". Actually, I think the show had a profound impact on me that day. Needless to say, so has the few beers I have been sipping on.

So I guess you all are gonna have to re-read my report and figure out exactly how my ride went and the status of the trails :ciappa:

Do yourself a huge favor and put this place on your bucket list, and then return again and again and again until you realize these trails absolutely rock and are tons of fun and miles of smiles :cornut:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.