Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Map Maker
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This weekend I swapped out my rear shock on my Enduro which was a float floatRL with itch switch to a FOX Vanilla coil RL.
I ordered a 7 7/8 eye to eye with a 2" stroke vanilla. I also ordered the standard eyelet bushing for a Specialized Enduro they fit the float or vanilla just right. My Vanilla had a choice of spring rates so I got 550 lbs by 2.29 .
I usually run my shock linkage in the steeper 70.5 by higher BB mode. Because the Vanilla has a slightly longer eye to eye measurement I flipped my linkage to the slacker and lower setting (69.5 by lower BB).
With the longer shock it seems that I have settled in between the two settings. I would guess I have about 70 head angle but with the higher BB. I must also say I am running a Marzocchi Z1 on the front wich is a longer 5" coil shock which tends to slacken out the head angle a bit more by itself.

First impressions of the shock: ( I only have one ride on it) The linear nature of a coil shock is much plusher than the Progressive rate of an air shock. There is no ramping up of the shock at the end of the travel just seemingly bottomless action. I also notice more rear wheel travel - closer to 6".
The only time I missed my float with itch was a long steep grind up when I would normally switch to short travel 4" mode on the itch.
The buttery plush feel of the shock was VERY nice on the way down or on tight switchbacks. Log crossing were very nice as I could tell I was geeting a bit more clearence with a higher BB.
The rear end seemed stiffer too with a coil. The power transfer was very nice and the rear wheel really stuck to the ground as I pedaled hard over roots and rocks.
More reviews to come with pictures.
Chris

·
Map Maker
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
some pictures of the switch

Here are some pictures of the Fox Vanilla on my '02 Enduro. The first is my old Fox float held up - you can see it still had the old eyelet bushings on it.
The rest are different views of the vanilla.
The last is how the Float looked on the bike.

All in all the change was very easy it only took about 20 minutes to swap it out. Having the extra set of eyelet bushings was key though. You would spend a lot long if you had to pry the old ones out of the Float and press them into the new Vanilla. Not to mention you would probably bugger them up pretty good as they are fairly soft aluminum.

This is my first coil shock and I am still fiddling with the rebound and preload. Anybody else want to give some advice on those settings? I have the rebound set a bit slow. The Fox is very nice and each click on the rebound dial is a big change in action. I have mine set one click up from noticeably slow. How do you determine sag on a coil? I guess you need two people? I was considering wiping a small amount of grease on the piston getting on like you would normally check sag and then getting off and measuring how far the grease was wiped off (then of course wiping the grease off before riding).

So lets hear from some others who have switched their shocks out.
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Chris,
That RL fits in there great! :) You run yours the opposite direction from mine (Pre-load at the bottom) of course I am running a Vanilla RC and not the RL. My compression damping is at the top and my rebound knob is at the bottom. I run mine that way because I figured I would be tweaking the rebound more so than the compression and it is a squeeze to access the top knob since it is up in the seattower. Pre-load should be set at Appx .56" per the Fox owners manual (available on line from Fox in PDF format) the damping is really personal preferrence. I have mine set so that when I drop off of a 18" wall in the seat I get no kickback from the suspension. Not sure of the # of clicks? I will tweak rebound based on type of trail I'm riding. I am looking for some hints on setting compression damping? Once this shock needs to be serviced I am going to send it to Push Industries for the Pro-Pedal upgrade at $138.00 Coil over in my opinion really lets an Enduro show what it is capable of and is a lot more linear and comfortable for rough riding. I am anxious to see what it does for me on my next Urban Assault ride!! :D

·
Registered
567 Posts
enduroguy said:
Hi Chris,
That RL fits in there great! :) You run yours the opposite direction from mine (Pre-load at the bottom) of course I am running a Vanilla RC and not the RL. My compression damping is at the top and my rebound knob is at the bottom. I run mine that way because I figured I would be tweaking the rebound more so than the compression and it is a squeeze to access the top knob since it is up in the seattower. Pre-load should be set at Appx .56" per the Fox owners manual (available on line from Fox in PDF format) the damping is really personal preferrence. I have mine set so that when I drop off of a 18" wall in the seat I get no kickback from the suspension. Not sure of the # of clicks? I will tweak rebound based on type of trail I'm riding. I am looking for some hints on setting compression damping? Once this shock needs to be serviced I am going to send it to Push Industries for the Pro-Pedal upgrade at $138.00 Coil over in my opinion really lets an Enduro show what it is capable of and is a lot more linear and comfortable for rough riding. I am anxious to see what it does for me on my next Urban Assault ride!! :D
Hey I'm lookin to do a similar build ot my 01 enduro, can you post up some pics of your ride, and to Chris, that is one kick ass ride enjoy it.
L8R
Buck

·
Map Maker
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
spring rate

rowdyflat said:
I am thinking of changing to a vanilla coilover but am unsure which spring to get. do you weigh 170 lbs + have you got about 30% sag?
I do weigh in at 170 lbs plus camel back. and I have my sag set at 1/2" which is 25% sag
that seems to do just fine. (that is the recommended sag in the Fox maunal). My spring is a 550 x 2.29 it seems to do just fine.Nice and plush and no real bob from pedaling. Enduro guy has a Vanilla RC he is 6' and 225 lbs he is running a 600 lb spring.

·
Registered
63 Posts
air to coil

Thanks for that cbchess.What is the deal with the bushings do the standard vanilla bushings fit OK[? I want to ask enduroguy whether he did any modifications to get the RC with its piggyback to fit? ]

·
Map Maker
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bushings on the fox

rowdyflat said:
Thanks for that cbchess.What is the deal with the bushings do the standard vanilla bushings fit OK[? I want to ask enduroguy whether he did any modifications to get the RC with its piggyback to fit? ]
There is no Standard set of bushings- each bike takes different ones. The fox bushing from the Float fits just the same on the Vanilla. That being said you should have one set for each shock. You can get a new set of bushing from Fox just tell them your year, make, and model of your bike - it doesn't matter if you are putting them on the Float or Vanilla. I put one set on the wrong end when I first got my Vanilla and it took me 10 minutes to pry it off. I almost ruined it as it is aluminum and soft. So switching between the two shocks is not really an option with out risking trashing the bushings.
I do ALL my own maintenance and build my bikes from the frame up so it’s not like I was Ham fisting my way through this. You need to press them in with a clamp or Bench Vise. Just go really slow and use a block of wood on both sides so you don’t bugger up the bushings.
<P>
Enduro guy put a small spacer under the ring that holds the spring on, a very small spacer. One end of the spring sits on a metal washer and the other end the metal washer can be screwed on tighter or looser to set pre-load. the first non moving washer kind of sits on a "shoulder" what he did was back the pre-load off until the spring was loose then slip an tiny spacer in between the shoulder and the washer like .25" or something. All this did was shifting the whole thing up a quarter inch so that the shock wouldn't hit the shock link.
good luck

·
Registered
446 Posts
Vanilla RC (piggyback ) on 03 Enduro ?

I have the Vanilla 7.8 e2e 2.25 stroker with 450 lb springs and weigh bout 170 with gear. I was wondering about the Compression option if I try a piggyback Vanilla. Has anyone done this ? Comments on end user observations regarding the C option.

Pics of piggyback on 03 showing any mods if required for fit would be appreciated.

Gracias in advance....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Vanilla RC WILL work!

I currently have a Vanilla RC on my Enduro and I run a 600 Lb spring, but I weigh in at 210-220 Lbs w/out gear and it works perfect. You will need to make a spacer to move the spring further up the shaft but it is really easy to do. I used a .25 headset spacer that I cut roughly in half and then formed around a socket. It took a little trial and error but it fits perfectly! I have a sketch I can fax over or maybe scan and e-mail over. I am hoping to get some pictures tomorrow. If I do I'll post them. This is such a great improvement in the rear suspension especially if you deal w/rocky terrain. Feel free to e-mail me for more info! Don the EnduroGuy!

·
Registered
51 Posts
CSPRINGS said:
:) enduroguy,
I will watch for the pics since I cannot visualize why the piggyback will not fit.

THanks

The Piggyback will fit w/it up at the top of the frame but will not, IF you run w/the piggyback at the bottom by the swing link because the spring hits the cross member of the swing link. Now that may be because my spring is set up high on the shaft towards the piggyback to help clear the cross mamber the way I have it on my bike? I had my buddy over after a ride on Sun to take a picture and his damn camera batteries croaked! Maybe another weekend? I am not going to be riding weekends for the next 3 weekends because of family obligations but once I do I'll get pictures.

·
Registered
446 Posts
ok

Obligations...what is that all about? What about your obligations to the trail Goddesses? OK if it is Passover bee sure to honor the Trail Goddess and Elijah as well.

Due to the physical configuration I can imagine potential problems with clearance / conflict with the end of the seat post if shock is installed with PB at top or bottom for that matter. The spring situation I will look forward to seeing. My bro just scored a 7.8 x 2.25 R coil for $120.00. Unfiortunately has wrong spring weight but I have one coming today which should work.

These Enduros really come alive with coil in front and rear! Too bad 98% of the buying public ride em the way Spec shipped em with the crummy performing Air shocks.

What state are you in ?

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
cbchess said:
How do you determine sag on a coil? I guess you need two people? I was considering wiping a small amount of grease on the piston getting on like you would normally check sag and then getting off and measuring how far the grease was wiped off (then of course wiping the grease off before riding).

So lets hear from some others who have switched their shocks out.
Chris
FWIW when I had a Vanilla R on my former bike I found I could slide the bumpstop up the shaft (carefully so's not to scratch the shaft) and use it as a sag/travel indicator without messing with zip ties inside the spring.

·
Map Maker
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ahhh I see

fsrxc said:
FWIW when I had a Vanilla R on my former bike I found I could slide the bumpstop up the shaft (carefully so's not to scratch the shaft) and use it as a sag/travel indicator without messing with zip ties inside the spring.
thats a good idea. I checked mine by zip ties and lots of cussing. It was hard to get my fingers inside the spring to get the zip on.
I forgot to take it off after checking sag. Then after my first ride I checked it again - it was up INSIDE my bump stopper!
I guess that means I am getting full travel!
Thanks~!
Chris

·
Registered
51 Posts
CSPRINGS said:
Obligations...what is that all about? What about your obligations to the trail Goddesses? OK if it is Passover bee sure to honor the Trail Goddess and Elijah as well.

Due to the physical configuration I can imagine potential problems with clearance / conflict with the end of the seat post if shock is installed with PB at top or bottom for that matter. The spring situation I will look forward to seeing. My bro just scored a 7.8 x 2.25 R coil for $120.00. Unfiortunately has wrong spring weight but I have one coming today which should work.

These Enduros really come alive with coil in front and rear! Too bad 98% of the buying public ride em the way Spec shipped em with the crummy performing Air shocks.

What state are you in ?
Actually it's the coil on the underside that hits the cross member on the top of the swinglink. I'm going crazy cuz I cannot show you what I mean! The Vanilla R will work no problem but the RC has special requirements. If you have access to a fax I can send you the modified Dwg I made to show the mod. Great deal on the R! I'm going to get a slightly heavier spring (650 or 700) to replace my 600, it's just a touch too soft. You are right about the Enduro coming alive w/the coil at both ends! I think I may be one of the 1st people in the country to put a RC on their Enduro! Good luck w/your conversion! I live outside of Pittsburgh, Pa.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Could Not Help Myself, Had To Go With The '03 Vanilla RL

I have been on the fence on this topic for quite some time and have been debating going coil. Finally decided to go for it, and bought a '03 Vanilla RL from Fox last week. I originally ordered a 700# spring based on the spring chart, but after it was delivered, realized it was too stiff. Turned around and bought a 650#, after one ride and was AMAZED at the ride difference! The coil switch has made the bike come alive! I am getting the appropriate sag with the 650#, but ordered a 600# the other day to see the ride differences (I weigh 200# and ride very aggressive XC......can you say directonal changes through impact?!).

I bought the RL for several reasons: 1. The coil Romic's track record has not been great. 2. The Fox shocks have a great track record and wonderful customer service. 3. The 5th Element coil is too expensive. 4. I prefer lockout based on my previous experience with the Float RL (ITCH). 5. I was concerned over the fit issue with the Vanilla RC. 6. At my weight and riding style, I do not truely see the benefit of ProPedal or Stable Platform tuning.

Even though I bought the RL, I never had to use the lockout on my test rides. (I used it constantly with the Float.) I was making extended technical climbs that I had never been able to complete before without dabbing. Based on the nature of the coil spring and the "new" ride characteristics of the frame, I could have probably saved a little cash and searched for a Vanilla R in the 7.875 e2e. (However, if I like the 600#, I may need the lockout...we'll see.)

The best thing about switching to coil is that I noticed the bike tracks so much better now. It actually feels as if the suspension linkage has stiffened. Like most, I have the flip-flop link in the slackest position due to the increase in e2e. I can not explain why the bike feels better, it just does. Prior to the coil purchase I was contemplating selling the frame and buying an SC Heckler. Banish that thought now!

My next question is, does anybody want to buy a Float RL that is in great shape? How about a 700# spring for only $15.00?

·
Registered
63 Posts
air to coil

Thanks to everyone for their help. I found a new 2003 Vanilla R on ebay w a 650 lb coil which might be a bit stiff for my weight 185 but we will see.It is coming soon. I have previously replaced the air shock with coil on my extended travel stumpjumper and it was much plusher and not bouncey. I ride a lot of slow technical tracks. The art is in having the right spring for your weight and the leverage ratio.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts