Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While shopping around for a 20" wheel bike, I saw that some had threadless headsets such that you could in theory swap stems pretty easily as kids grow. Are little stems readily available? This seems like a major benefit in getting bikes to fit properly for small people, but I don't want to eliminate any bikes with threaded headsets/integrated stems if they are not.

Thanks in advance,
WC

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am not sure why you think changing a threadless headset is easier to swap.
Profile makes quill stems (in 1" and 1 1/8") with a pop-off cap in a variety of lengths and angles. You could pop out the bars and switch the stem in less than 5 minutes. A (very) little easier than with a threadless setup since you won't have to mess around with the headset preload.

There is really no difference in ease of swap or availability of stem sizes (there are more, lighter and probably nicer (but more expensive) options for threadless stems though).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Availability. I had no idea that threaded was still so prevalent. Where can I find stems for little guys?
Pretty much anywhere with a QBP account.

Look here:
It won't let me put a link (not enough posts), but search on Universal Cycles under stems, mountain stems, quill stems.

The Profile Boa (towards the bottom of that page - click through for all the length options) is pretty much the only one that you can get (easily) in a variety of lengths in both 1" and 1 1/8"

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How small do stems go? Right now a 20" bike would be a tad to big for her, but the longer wheelbase would provide the stability she needs for the technical trails. I'm hoping a small stem would be able to adjust the cockpit if the bike comes with something outrageously long. Also I would want to be able move it over to the 24" bike when that time comes (already planning ahead :) ).

·
turtles make me hot
11,753 Posts
I don't know how short it is, but I just built my 16 year old daughter a 15" framed 29er and had to use a stem that almost has the handlebars right on the steerer tube.
The bike fits her perfectly.

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
While shopping around for a 20" wheel bike, I saw that some had threadless headsets such that you could in theory swap stems pretty easily as kids grow. Are little stems readily available?
Yes. Short stems are fairly easy to find. Truvativ's AKA model can be had in 60mm, 70mm, and on up in 10mm increments. You can also pretty easily find 40mm and 50mm stems. Look for stems aimed at all-mountain (like the AKA that I mentioned) and downhill/freeride.

·
Wēk Sôs
3,210 Posts
Easton Havoc 35mm. There are shorter ones, but you're really pushing it there. Do you really need it that short? After 60mm, it gets heavier and expensive as you can get lightweight XC stems at 60mm. I have not seen anything that light (low 100g) for shorter parts, which tend to be for FR/DH. The Havoc isn't bad. Supposedly 150g for 35mm, but it's around $90.

Quill stems are heavy.

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
I have not seen anything that light (low 100g) for shorter parts, which tend to be for FR/DH.
Kids often like the looks of those FR/DH stems. I ran an Easton downhill stem for awhile on my cross-country bike. It was a brick of a stem, but it looked wicked-cool and was always one of the first things that neighbor kids would comment on when they saw the bike.

·
Wēk Sôs
3,210 Posts
Kids often like the looks of those FR/DH stems. I ran an Easton downhill stem for awhile on my cross-country bike. It was a brick of a stem, but it looked wicked-cool and was always one of the first things that neighbor kids would comment on when they saw the bike.
Totally. On my son's 24" on XS 26" bike build, he chose the Easton Havoc stem...cause it looks awesome. I wanted short, as reach was a concern and Easton had the 35mm in orange (the color I powder coated his bike in).

I also use this one for my daughter's 20 inch bike, lightweight 60mm stem.

In addition to the Easton Havoc there is also the Straitline SSC pinch stem in 35mm.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I swapped out a 90mm 25 deg for a 40mm 0 deg. Not the lightest, but lighter than stock for sure and the color nearly matches the blue accents on my son's bike. Stems: Quark Pro - NS Bikes 2011 - Stay True

He looked like superman before I swapped the stem and was dangerously unstable in slow speed maneuvers due to the awkward reach. I knew going into a 20" that the stem must be done. I figure that as he steps up to 24" and 26" the 40mm will go on the bike for the first summer or two.

·
Registered
10,171 Posts
They have some interesting stuff. I would like to see if the LoProXT crank can be made in custom lengths or is a candidate for shortening. Takes removable spiders for any chainrings.

acebmx.com replied to an email I sent about that with "yes please call to order"

Stems
LoProXT Crank
Why not go sinz, already come in shorter size and pretty good price on ebay

·
rebmem rbtm
180 Posts
I'm thinking on the 24" wheeled bike I'm building I might want 2 chainrings. Tough to do that with the sinz. It can be done (in theory) with the IRD Triplelizer.

None of my kids will be ready for the larger bike for a couple months and I have most of the parts I want. I've read all of the build threads (some twice) but really it comes down to what will work for my kids on the terrain we will be riding...This forum is a great resource.

·
Wēk Sôs
3,210 Posts

·
rebmem rbtm
180 Posts
Not yet.
I have sent the company an email and had no reply. I have called several times and got the answering machine. I haven't left a message as I get no wireless reception at work for a call back and I've been busy.

I bought one of these to check it out as it was cheap

60mm 60 x 1-1/8" x 25.4

Mounted it and it seems up to the task of a light rider. Weight was 127 grams.

For the Adventure Components stuff I need to get around to either calling Ace BMX or leaving a call back number at the shop.

I was just up in Westlake Village last month but did not know about them yet :prft: Life just is...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.