Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's the deal. i've got too many bikes, and have to get rid of one. the choice is between my old Stumpjumper Comp Tange Prestige with rigid fork(my first mountain bike), or my M2 Stumpjumper Comp with Rockshox Judy. and when it came down to it, the rigid Stumpy wins, cause i'm partial to steel, and it actually rides better than the suspended Stumpy. i'll miss the M2, mainly cause it just looks so nice, but i've never really enjoyed riding it all that much.

but what i plan to do is swap most of the parts over to the steel frame, and sell the M2 as frame/fork/headset/stem/seatpost. and then sell off the old steel Stump's parts for whatever i can get. but i have a few questions:

the steel Stump had a full-size crankeset while the M2 had a compact crankset. i'm thinking of keeping the old front derailleur cause the M2 required a larger clamp size. will this older derailleur work with a compact crankset, just lower it on the seat tube, or do i need a derailleur designed to work with compact cranksets?

and second, the steel Stump is 7 speed, the M2 is 8 speed. currently, the M2's wheelset is being used on my Rocky Mountain Blizzard, so i want to convert the steel Stumpy's wheelset to 8 speed. would all i need to do is put an 8 speed freehub body on the hub, and re-dish the wheel? that would be the cheapest way, right?

finally, should i keep the thumbshifters? or move the rapidfire set over from the M2? i figure that out of all the parts i'd be selling, the thumbies would probably be what i could get the most cash for.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
rufus said:
the steel Stump had a full-size crankeset while the M2 had a compact crankset. i'm thinking of keeping the old front derailleur cause the M2 required a larger clamp size. will this older derailleur work with a compact crankset, just lower it on the seat tube, or do i need a derailleur designed to work with compact cranksets?
Keep the old derailler, or just don't swap the crankset.

and second, the steel Stump is 7 speed, the M2 is 8 speed. currently, the M2's wheelset is being used on my Rocky Mountain Blizzard, so i want to convert the steel Stumpy's wheelset to 8 speed. would all i need to do is put an 8 speed freehub body on the hub, and re-dish the wheel? that would be the cheapest way, right?
I'm not sure that you can just swap the freehub, you may need a new hub. I'd lob that one over to the retro guys w/ the model # of the hub.
If it ends up that you need a new hub, it'd probably just be cheaper to spring for a new rear wheel, something decent but cheap like a rhynolite w/ deore hub, especially if there's been lots of use on the existing rim, it probably be near the end of it's life.

finally, should i keep the thumbshifters? or move the rapidfire set over from the M2? i figure that out of all the parts i'd be selling, the thumbies would probably be what i could get the most cash for.
and finally on the thumbies vs rapidfire. That's just a personal choice. I like 'em both, but if you're not concerned about keeping it period correct, go for the sti.
Check out parktool.com's repair section if you're not sure about how to go about certain things.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.