Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day,

I'm looking to get a set of I9 wheels, but most of them came with DT Swiss rims. I have ran the DT tubeless kit with a 4.2d before, and I didn't really like it very much. The tape came off the center, and the tire leaked sealant at higher pressures. It never burped, but I just like the idea of a 819 better.

So doing some research, the DT technical documentation is saying

4.2d has an ERD of 544mm
5.1d has an ERD of 540mm

and Mavic 819 has an ERD of 538mm

The difference in numbers are pretty small, so my question is if I can re-use the existing spokes. How big of a difference in ERD can I go up to while still being able to re-use the spokes?

Thanks,

Ming

http://www.dtswiss.com/getdoc/1613ff79-dfd7-480c-9f43-f44f19ebaf1d/TechnicalDatasheet.aspx

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=251362
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,762 Posts
Nope. A 4mm difference in ERD is going to make between a 1.5 and 2mm difference in spoke lengths. You might get away with it going from a 540 to a 538 ERD, but you'd need to do the math or use a spoke calculator to be sure.You'd be cutting it pretty fine, it would depend on the hub dimensions and what the current spoke lengths are. But the 544 to 538 ERD swap would be a definite no-go. That's a 6mm difference and you'd be looking at closer 2 to 4mm difference in spoke lengths. So dig up a spoke calculator and use it. Just remember spokes need to be within + or - 1mm of the exact spoke length that any calculator gives you.

Good Dirt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Squash said:
Nope. A 4mm difference in ERD is going to make between a 1.5 and 2mm difference in spoke lengths. You might get away with it going from a 540 to a 538 ERD, but you'd need to do the math or use a spoke calculator to be sure.You'd be cutting it pretty fine, it would depend on the hub dimensions and what the current spoke lengths are. But the 544 to 538 ERD swap would be a definite no-go. That's a 6mm difference and you'd be looking at closer 2 to 4mm difference in spoke lengths. So dig up a spoke calculator and use it. Just remember spokes need to be within + or - 1mm of the exact spoke length that any calculator gives you.

Good Dirt
Thanks for the very informative reply! The I9 hubs use a straight flange, and I think there is a bit more flexibility the spoke length being too long. Does the same rules still apply?

Thanks!

Ming
 

·
transmitter~receiver
Joined
·
9,333 Posts
macming said:
Thanks for the very informative reply! The I9 hubs use a straight flange, and I think there is a bit more flexibility the spoke length being too long. Does the same rules still apply?

Thanks!

Ming
what is a "straight flange"?
are you talking about rebuilding an I9 system wheel with their colored aluminum spokes?
if so, you should ask I9, as they're the only people that build those wheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
meltingfeather said:
what is a "straight flange"?
are you talking about rebuilding an I9 system wheel with their colored aluminum spokes?
if so, you should ask I9, as they're the only people that build those wheels.
Sorry, I was referring to the I9 straight pull spokes. I actually confirmed with a dealer that swapping in a 819 will work with the I9 all mountain wheelset. Looks like I'm set. :)
 

·
Feeding your addiction
Joined
·
2,648 Posts
macming said:
Sorry, I was referring to the I9 straight pull spokes. I actually confirmed with a dealer that swapping in a 819 will work with the I9 all mountain wheelset. Looks like I'm set. :)
I9 does not use DT as their stock rims (is it a used set, or older stock in a shop that you're looking at?) They have their own rims made now and the bead is UST spec (still have to seal off the spoke holes with tape though). I'd take those over the 819 personally.

Larry
www.mtnhighcyclery.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ventanarama said:
I9 does not use DT as their stock rims (is it a used set, or older stock in a shop that you're looking at?) They have their own rims made now and the bead is UST spec (still have to seal off the spoke holes with tape though). I'd take those over the 819 personally.

Larry
www.mtnhighcyclery.com
Hi Larry,

I'm looking at an used set, and a few new sets a distributor has in stock. The new ones will cost a bit more, but I'm kind of thinking maybe the new ones will be worth the extra $$, since I'm spending so much anyways. Neither wheelsets (used or new) have exactly what I want though.

I have the choice of an used set of I9 Enduro w/ DT 5.1d for $625, or I can get a set of I9 XC build or all mountain build. Anything else will have to be ordered in, and have a 3 - 6 week wait. I hate waiting :D

I know I can convert the 5.1d with Stan's tape fairly well, but I have questions about the I9 factory rims. I confirmed with Jacob that only the Enduro and DH rims have the UST profile bead, so I imagine the XC and all mountain rims have to be treated as normal rims.

What would you do? Maybe I'll give you a call too, because I'm getting pretty close to a set of custom built wheels.

Thanks,

Ming
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts
Hey Larry, please check your inbox.

Tim

Ventanarama said:
I9 does not use DT as their stock rims (is it a used set, or older stock in a shop that you're looking at?) They have their own rims made now and the bead is UST spec (still have to seal off the spoke holes with tape though). I'd take those over the 819 personally.

Larry
www.mtnhighcyclery.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update to this. I verfied the spoke length and the rim ERD between the 819 and DT 5.1D with the DT Swiss calculator. The result was they were within 1mm.

I had my mechanic try to swap the rims at the LBS, and it wasn't even close :( I guess sometimes you just have to try things to find out.

Cheers!

Ming
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top