Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to get a SC bullit(WOOT!) and I was wondering how hard it is to swap components. The bike in it's current configuration is more freeride orientated, which I'm interested in. I also want to do the occasional XC ride but nothing over 20 miles or so at a time. What components should I look at swapping out for my XC rides. I know the fork is one, but specifics would be nice as I'm a noob. thanks.
 

·
hands up who wants to die
Joined
·
1,405 Posts
It's hard to answer unless you tell us what parts are on the Bullitt now.

I'd say you can do 20 mi. on pretty much any bike.
First thing I'd change is sub-900 gram tires instead of dual-ply. No DH tubes either.
70mm stems are generally nice for a FR bike that still needs to be pedalled uphill.

-r
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
868 Posts
rpet said:
It's hard to answer unless you tell us what parts are on the Bullitt now.

I'd say you can do 20 mi. on pretty much any bike.
First thing I'd change is sub-900 gram tires instead of dual-ply. No DH tubes either.
70mm stems are generally nice for a FR bike that still needs to be pedalled uphill.

-r
Yeah rpet is right on here.

"Generally" DH and FR bikes tend to have these heavy components:
7+ lbs DH forks (switch to around a 5-5.5 lbs SC)
1000+ g DH tires (switch to sub 800g "trailbike" tires)
Heavy wheels
heavy DH tubes (switch to larger XC tubes)
1 or possibly 2 ring chainguides (you probably want at least 2 rings)
Sub 60mm stems (70-90mm are decent for uphill on a heavier bike)

The tires/tubes are probably the biggest single difference. I would find a lighter wheel set and put lighter tires and tubes on it and switch back and forth... it's the easiest and makes the biggest difference.

Give us a list of the current components, and I will tell you exactly what I would do. Also tell use how much you are willing to spend and if you want to keep the heavier stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are the components. I want to keep the stuff thats on it so I have the ability to switch it when I desire. I'd say no more the 1k on upgrades.

Marzocchi Shiver DC 190 7.5" travel fork
race face cranks and BB
MRP LRP chainguide
Hayes Purple DH 8" disc
Sun/Rigle Intense Mag 30 wheelset
Progressive 5th Element Rear Shock
Chris King Headset
Thompson Elite Seatpost
Easton Monkeylite bars
Maxxis Minion F/R with 85% tread left
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
You want what in my neck of the woods is referred to as a Bullite. Change the wheels and fork. Those Mag 30s and tires are heavy and you'll want a shorter/lighter fork like maybe a Z1. Should be able to switch forks and wheels in 15 minutes so you'll have two bikes in one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
868 Posts
Gman said:
These are the components. I want to keep the stuff thats on it so I have the ability to switch it when I desire. I'd say no more the 1k on upgrades.

Marzocchi Shiver DC 190 7.5" travel fork
race face cranks and BB
MRP LRP chainguide
Hayes Purple DH 8" disc
Sun/Rigle Intense Mag 30 wheelset
Progressive 5th Element Rear Shock
Chris King Headset
Thompson Elite Seatpost
Easton Monkeylite bars
Maxxis Minion F/R with 85% tread left
You have a good start...

04 Z1 ~$350
Swap the Shiver DC for an 04 Z1 130mm QR20 (although they may be harder to find now). You could also look at 05 Z1s, 04 Z1SLs w/ 20mm, Pikes, Shemans, etc.
05 Z1 ~$600
Pike ~$375

Hope Bulbs on Sun Singletrack DB spokes/ Brass Nipples: ~$430
Other lower cost options:
Single Track on DT Onyx w/ 20mm Front ~$365
Mavic XM321 on DT Onyx w/ 20mm Front ~$370

Maxxis Hansventure 26 x 2.35 Single Ply x2 ~$60
There are plenty of other tires in this category, and will depend on your riding and terrain. I love my Hansventures, some people like other stuff... this is up to you.

Total for 04 Z1, Wheels and Tires for my top choices: $840 + tubes

Also pick up an extra CK crown race so that you don't have to pound it on and off of the forks. ($15 max)

That will give you too good bikes. A heavy duty 42ish lbs FR bike and a reasonable 36ish lbs trail bike.
 

·
hands up who wants to die
Joined
·
1,405 Posts
Gman-
You've got pretty nice stuff on there already. Depending what you mean by "occasionally" and how steep and technical the climbs are, you might just want to pedal that rig as-is. Which are your main concerns: weight, geometry, fork height and/or dual crown knee-banging?

If you're going to change anything, the first big expense should be the Z.1 fork (or equivalent). That will instantly make the bike more climb-worthy, and might be all you need to swap. Secondly, do the wheels.

-r
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
868 Posts
rpet said:
Gman-
You've got pretty nice stuff on there already. Depending what you mean by "occasionally" and how steep and technical the climbs are, you might just want to pedal that rig as-is. Which are your main concerns: weight, geometry, fork height and/or dual crown knee-banging?

If you're going to change anything, the first big expense should be the Z.1 fork (or equivalent). That will instantly make the bike more climb-worthy, and might be all you need to swap. Secondly, do the wheels.

-r
I would do tires/tubes anyway since they make a huge difference in pedalability for long distances and they are the cheapest change.
 

·
hands up who wants to die
Joined
·
1,405 Posts
Yes - that goes without saying. Good trail tires can be had for $70/pair (tax included).

-r

robsetsfire said:
I would do tires/tubes anyway since they make a huge difference in pedalability for long distances and they are the cheapest change.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where's the best place to shop for that Z1 fork that has been mentioned? I figured that is the first thing I will do, and then probably wheels/tires next.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
868 Posts
Gman said:
Where's the best place to shop for that Z1 fork that has been mentioned? I figured that is the first thing I will do, and then probably wheels/tires next.
I got that price from universalcycles last time, but it looks like they are sold out.

http://store.airbomb.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=FK8115

although 459 is a lot to spend on an last model year fork at this point. i would look around on ebay as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
robsetsfire said:
I got that price from universalcycles last time, but it looks like they are sold out.

http://store.airbomb.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=FK8115

although 459 is a lot to spend on an last model year fork at this point. i would look around on ebay as well.
Found these auctions on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58085&item=7150310034&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7149952964&fromMakeTrack=true

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7150093861&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7150302094&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

Will probably go with the last auction as it has a good price and it is new.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
887 Posts
G-Man...Have you built up the bike yet and gotten a chance to ride it?

I buy most of my stuff from Chad @ Red Barn Bicycles ([email protected] phone: 406-369-0487). His prices are typically much better than what you'll see on any of the on-line shops so it doesn't hurt to see what he can do - tell him Bill from Orlando recommended him :)

I am going to try to take my Bullit out this Sunday up to Santos to start breaking in/tuning my new 66 - let me know if you are interested in joining.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
868 Posts
Gman said:
Be aware that some of these autions are for QR forks. You probably want a QR20 so that you can use the wheel you have and I'd rather have a 20mm when using 8 in brakes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I haven't gotten a chance to ride the bike yet, because it is in transit. Im hoping it arrives by the end of the week but since it is coming from california its doubtful. I'm preatty much a noob when it comes to looking at and picking components so thats why I posted the specific links. What I'll probably do is when I get the bike ride it around in it's current configuration and then from there I'll be able to decide how much i want to change around. If the deal on the fork is good I might pick that up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
887 Posts
Since you are running a Shiver, I would recommend going with the new Z1 or something else that is a single crown with 20mm drop-outs. This way you don't have to add the expense of an entire 2nd front wheel for when you want to go on trail rides - all you would have to do is swap the fork, tires, and tubes. You'll also probably want to swap out the Monkeylite bar for days when you want to go big.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bike doesn't look like it is going to get here till monday. I have finals the 29th-2nd of May so that weekend is probably not the greatest for riding. I'd appreciate links to specific parts when recomending where to buy from as I'm afraid I'll chose the wrong part.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top