Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
All-most Mountain
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a stupid question, and I should probably know better, but I'll ask anyway.

I currently have a Fuji Nevada 3.0 hardtail. It's stock except for a Marzocchi EXR fork (i got it for next to nothing, so I threw it on, big improvement over the stock Suntour 40mm)

I have a line on a Kona Dawg frame for dirt cheap. I really want a FS bike and am considering buying the Kona frame and swapping all other components from the Fuji onto it, so then I will have a nice new-to-me FS bike. The components are:

Marzocchi EXR fork
Shimano Alivio drivetrain
Textro mech discs

and of course my stock Fuji 26" wheels, and seat post and seat.

IS there any reason this wont work?

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Meh... they should all work...

Camshaft213 said:
This is probably a stupid question, and I should probably know better, but I'll ask anyway.

I currently have a Fuji Nevada 3.0 hardtail. It's stock except for a Marzocchi EXR fork (i got it for next to nothing, so I threw it on, big improvement over the stock Suntour 40mm)

I have a line on a Kona Dawg frame for dirt cheap. I really want a FS bike and am considering buying the Kona frame and swapping all other components from the Fuji onto it, so then I will have a nice new-to-me FS bike. The components are:

Marzocchi EXR fork
Shimano Alivio drivetrain
Textro mech discs

and of course my stock Fuji 26" wheels, and seat post and seat.

IS there any reason this wont work?
Double check the seatpost diameter, tho.

Also check the travel and/or axle to crown length on the fork. IIRC, the Dawg is like a 6" travel bike. You should have a 6" travel fork to match. If you put a shorter fork on there, it will give you scary handling... very twitchy, and endo-prone.

wheels, discs should all work. Do not use a seatpost of the wrong diameter, even if it is only 0.2mm off, or you may damage the frame. Decent new seatposts can be had for like $25. Shims work well, but same applies. Use the right size or damage may ensue.

Check the Bottom bracket shell size too. Many freeride bikes use a 73mm shell whereas most other bikes use a 68mm shell. Also make sure you are using the correct front derailleur type.

Yeah, go ahead and build it up. The low rent parts should work just fine to get you rolling.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Depending on the age, the Dawg is either a 4" or 5" Trail bike frame. It more than likely uses the 30.0mm seatpost that is common on Kona models. Also, Kona uses a 68mm BB shell, even on their freeride models.

Your likely going to have to replace the seatpost and front derailleur. Assuming the fork steerer is not cut too short, it should work but will be too short of travel than the frame was designed for. This may cause the bike to handle differently than it was intended to, but otherwise should work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.