Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had some XT M775 brakes installed on a Banshee Paradox hardtail 29er, with Marz 44 Micro Ti fork, running Shimano resin pads and Shimano RT-66 (one piece 6 bolt) rotors. No braking vibrations or problems ever.

I swapped over all the parts (brakes, fork, wheels, drivetrain, everything) to a 2012 aluminum Niner RIP 9 frame. Now there is vibration coming from the front brake during light to medium braking, but not full force braking.

The rotor isn't warped, no play in the headset, Everything is the same as before except for the frame. Any ideas what might be causing this? :confused:

·
Magically Delicious
9,834 Posts
I don't really have a clue other than the possibility that the rotor became slightly contaminated by handling during removal and re-installation. My only thought would be to clean the rotor with alcohol well and perhaps the pads. Are you only getting the vibration and no noise?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't really have a clue other than the possibility that the rotor became slightly contaminated by handling during removal and re-installation. My only thought would be to clean the rotor with alcohol well and perhaps the pads. Are you only getting the vibration and no noise?
Just vibration, no noise. I don't think anything got contaminated during the swap but that's a good idea, it wouldn't hurt to clean the rotor.

I forgot to mention two other variables, I had to install a new longer rear brake line, so I bled the front brake after bleeding the rear. Also, when setting up the sag I'm running a little lower air pressure in the fork than I was previously, but neither of those things should produce front brake vibration.

·
Clueless Bastard
684 Posts
Maybe go back and double check all your bolts. Under the assumption its the brakes (and not something else manifesting in braking performance) you could also try swapping the pads (rotate them like a set of tires on a car) just to see if that does anything. If the rotors are the same diameter size (F and R) try a swap just to see if that eliminates the issue if the cleaning doesn't work.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Check the front quick release or 15mm through bolt. I noticed that on my Fox fork with a Shimano style 15mm 'skewer', the front wheel needs to be clamped pretty tight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts