Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
MTB Newbie
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've currently got Juicy 5 brakes on my bike, and I was wondering what needs to be done to swap to a 185mm front rotor besides the rotor itself. Will I need a new mounting bracket for the caliper? My current rotor is also slightly not true, so a new rotor would also help alleviate this problem. I ride where there are a bunch of hills, and the fronts heat up quickly. I'm 200lbs on a Windsor Pro 29er.

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
You will just need the proper 180mm bracket to drop down from the 185 rotors.

As for your rotor being slightly out of true, even new rotors right out of the package will be this way. Just take a small adjustable wrench, put it over the rotor and apply pressure away from where it rubs on the brake pad. Repeat as necessary until the rotor does not rub anymore.

·
MTB Newbie
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I'll try to bend the rotor so it doesn't wobble as much, as it was that way when new.

I was looking at moving from the current 160mm front rotor to the 185mm rotor since it takes more and more braking effort to stop when I'm riding down some hills around me. I figured a larger rotor would help alleviate this since there's more heat capacity in a larger rotor, not to mention more surface area to dissipate that heat.

Where can I find one of those brackets for the front for a 185mm disk vs. the stock 160mm disk?

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
"Where can I find one of those brackets for the front for a 185mm disk vs. the stock 160mm disk?"

Any online retailer worth spit will have the proper adapter that you need. All you have to know is whether your fork has IS (international standard) tabs, or post mounts for caliper mounting. If I remember the stock spec on the Cliff Pro, it should be a Rock Shox Tora. RS has used the post mount system for quite some time now on their forks. So you'll likely need this, http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=178&category=20 . Forth one down from the top, item # 178-42808. With that, the rotor, and item # 178-74655, "CPS Hardware for 185mm post mount, you should be good to go. And YOU WILL need the longer bolts, so get the hardware kit or you'll end up pulling the threads out of the post mounts on your fork.

Good Dirt

·
MTB Newbie
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oops, I forgot to edit the title for 185mm. Front fork is a Tora 318 Air. At Pricepoint, the 185mm Post Mount adapter includes hardware for $9, and it's the only one that includes hardware. I never realized how pricey it was to go from a 160mm rotor to a 185mm rounddragon rotor. $44 from Pricepoint or $50 for the cleansweep rotor.

Pricepoint Adapter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.