Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm planning to buy a new frame and a fork with 15mm through axle. I want to use my old wheelset but the hubs are quick release. Is it sensible to buy a 15mm TA hub for the front wheel and then just swap them? Is there anything I need to watch out for when buying the replacement hub?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just went through this on my bike. You need to make sure the hub dimensions are the same as the old on or else you will have to get all new spokes. I am not a wheel builder but thats what I was told when I called and visited a couple shops in my area. The price to get new spokes and have them do the work was not worth it, So I ended up finding a wheel with the hub I needed and a disc mount and bought that. So now I have an extra wheel just in case.

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
Look for a complete wheel built around a 15mm TA, swapping hubs gets expensive quickly. You'll need a hub, 32 spokes ($1-$3 ea), and the labor to do it all (estimate $45). Or you could do a bit of shopping and pick up a pre-built wheel for a lower cost.

If money's not an obstacle, then have at it! Buying a hub means that you need to pick up a front for either disc or non disc brakes. Other than that it's all bearing and build quality differences. Hopes get recommended frequently and the Pro 2 can be run QR, 15mm, and 20mm with adapters so it can be used on future builds as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Hotwhls
Do you know what dimensions are critical?

@zebrahum
My plan was to just swap the one hub on my current wheels to save money in the mean time, and then down the road I will get a new wheelset. Why would I need new spokes, the existing ones won't work? If I bought a whole new front wheel, are there any concerns of mismatch to the rear wheel that need to be considered besides looks alone?

Thanks for the info, guys.

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
nickmas said:
@zebrahum
My plan was to just swap the one hub on my current wheels to save money in the mean time, and then down the road I will get a new wheelset. Why would I need new spokes, the existing ones won't work? If I bought a whole new front wheel, are there any concerns of mismatch to the rear wheel that need to be considered besides looks alone?

Thanks for the info, guys.
Spokes are sized in 1mm increments. In my experience I could pretty easily get away with a 2mm +/- without causing issue. So this means that unless you pick a hub that has the exact same flange diameter and flange width, you won't be able to reuse the spokes. I also never rebuild with old spokes because it tends to create a wheel that is more prone to coming out of true and it makes the initial build more difficult. If your hubs are the same dimensions, it would be possible to rebuild using old spokes to save money in the short term but it may not last long. That led me to recommend you buying a complete wheel to save money.

Mismatching the rear wheel will not cause you any issues. It may feel a bit different (stiffer, lighter, heavier...) but it won't be a serious concern.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts