Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Keep new Deore or swap for used GX?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new bike coming in that comes with Deore/SLX drivetrain. I will likely be selling My current bike that has GX eagle and a decent set of wheels I had built up. Both are 29ers so of course I’ll have to swap out the wheels too since it’s a different freehub. The old drivetrain and wheels maybe has 100 miles on it. The wheels on the new bike are basic shimano hubs and generic rims.

I should add that the new bike is an emtb so weight doesn’t really matter. I do prefer shimano but have not had a problem with my GX Eagle. I don’t really plan on upgrading the bike Bc it was above my budget to begin with. But saying that, I feel like that could change..

Edit: apologies for accidentally posting this twice

· Registered
1,256 Posts
I have a near-full* Eagle GX drivetrain on a nonelectric bike, and two eMTBs with full SLX drivetrains. The SLX works a hair better for significantly cheaper, but I still prefer the SRAM shifter ergonomics (preferred SRAM since the mid-Aughts). Shimano parts are harder to come by nowadays, but I still think Shimano is the one to go for this generation.

* everything except for NX cassette, because HG freewheel.

· Registered
682 Posts
I personally prefer shimano, however Shimano clutches tend to be prone to more maintenance and can get finnicky otherwise. I'd save yourself the headache of swapping out a drivetrain and just run what it came with. You'll run into issues with the hub body as well, as the shimano 12s cassettes run on microspline. Any perceived performance difference between the two groupos will be negligible.

· Premium Member
8,742 Posts
They are functionally equivalent and you will get 5 people saying run GX, 5 saying Deore. You don’t say what the other wheels are, but unless they are significantly better than what comes on the new bike, I would keep what it comes with.

Reactions: J.B. Weld

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are functionally equivalent and you will get 5 people saying run GX, 5 saying Deore. You don't say what the other wheels are, but unless they are significantly better than what comes on the new bike, I would keep what it comes with.
Bitex hubs laced to Stans flow MK3. The new wheels are shimano mt510 laced to stans flow D. Really like the Bitex but it's not like I'm losing I9's, Chris kings or even DT 350's.. The bitex are comparable to hope pro4's. Looks like they sell a microspline conversion kit so might do that. Or maybe even just build new ones at some point..

· Registered
1,256 Posts
shimano mt510 laced to stans flow D
FYI, those MT510s aren't half bad. They're not part of any Shimano grouppo, but they are listed as officially-recommended alternatives to many in-grouppo rear hubs. I know it goes at least as high as SLX. The thing about them is that they use traditional pawls in lieu of the current (and less-than-totally-reliable) Sylence-derived engagement system, and the freewheel body is steel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.