Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bike's hmmm nice
Joined
·
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2010 Lyrik solo air with only rebound in my new Speci Enduro. But also have a 2008 Coil Uturn with motion control in my Canyon Torque. Love the feel of the coil and would like to have that on my Enduro. Sadly the 2008 is a 1, 1/8 and the 2010 a 1,5-1,1/8, so no easy fork swap.
Can I swap the internals?
Would this be a hard job aka taking the whole forks apart, or can I "just" take out the top parts?
Any help here?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,103 Posts
merijn101 said:
Got a 2010 Lyrik solo air with only rebound in my new Speci Enduro. But also have a 2008 Coil Uturn with motion control in my Canyon Torque. Love the feel of the coil and would like to have that on my Enduro. Sadly the 2008 is a 1, 1/8 and the 2010 a 1,5-1,1/8, so no easy fork swap.
Can I swap the internals?
Would this be a hard job aka taking the whole forks apart, or can I "just" take out the top parts?
Any help here?
why not just get a 1.5 - 1.125 reducer headset?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,294 Posts
[QUOTE='size]why not just get a 1.5 - 1.125 reducer headset?[/QUOTE]
Because the tapered fork won't fit on the other bike. That way the Enduro would be fine, but not the other bike.

The coil spring in the Canyon's fork will have likely scuffed up the inside of the stanchion, making it unsuitable for the solo air internals. The dampers will swap over fine, so you could at least do that if you feel comfortable taking both forks apart. If you want a coil fork on the Enduro, your best bet is going to be to buy a second set of coil guts from RS and drop that in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,103 Posts
Hardtails Are Better said:
Because the tapered fork won't fit on the other bike. That way the Enduro would be fine, but not the other bike.

The coil spring in the Canyon's fork will have likely scuffed up the inside of the stanchion, making it unsuitable for the solo air internals. The dampers will swap over fine, so you could at least do that if you feel comfortable taking both forks apart. If you want a coil fork on the Enduro, your best bet is going to be to buy a second set of coil guts from RS and drop that in.
of course, i missed the swap part.
 

·
Bike's hmmm nice
Joined
·
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks HAB, that's some very good advice! I asked the TF guys in the UK for in internal coil, they can deliver. Holland is a bit slow in that because we have no mountains, we have not many people riding Lyrik forks ;-) That with the damper is fine.

Do I have to take the lowers of and refill the forks with oil for this? I do like to work on my bike, but have never serviced forks before. Don;t want to destroy them. Is it hard and do I need special tools, or is a good toolset and some elbow grease enough? Order oil at the motoshop?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,294 Posts
Yeah, you're going to need to take the lowers off. No specialized tools or anything needed, just a couple allen wrenches, a crescent wrench, a rubber mallet, and a snap ring pliar. An oil refill will also be needed. A moto shop's a good place to pick that up. Rock Shox has good directions on their website, and it's not a hard job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts
I think the compression damper, motion control part, will probably work.

For 2010 the travel in the Lyrik forks was increased. Supposedly the rebound damper on 2010 forks is backwards compatible. Swapping some of the parts that connect the lowers to uppers of the might cause problems, especially on the springs side of the fork. That is the side that usually limits travel.

For 2010 the dampers were on the Lyriks upgraded, on both the compression and rebound side, (on the non-cheapo, non-OEM forks.) If you want the best performing fork, that is probably the way to go. Any rockshox dealer should be able to get those parts.

I have a Lyrik which I really like, but it takes some service to keep it running nice. Basically just changing the oil bath, which is a really simple job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,294 Posts
the.vault said:
I think the compression damper, motion control part, will probably work.

For 2010 the travel in the Lyrik forks was increased. Supposedly the rebound damper on 2010 forks is backwards compatible. Swapping some of the parts that connect the lowers to uppers of the might cause problems, especially on the springs side of the fork. That is the side that usually limits travel.

For 2010 the dampers were on the Lyriks upgraded, on both the compression and rebound side, (on the non-cheapo, non-OEM forks.) If you want the best performing fork, that is probably the way to go. Any rockshox dealer should be able to get those parts.

I have a Lyrik which I really like, but it takes some service to keep it running nice. Basically just changing the oil bath, which is a really simple job.
The 2010 Lyric is available in 160 and 170mm travel versions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts
Hardtails Are Better said:
The 2010 Lyric is available in 160 and 170mm travel versions.
I forgot about that part. I am pretty sure, sure enough for this conversation, (double check what I am saying) that if you put the dampers from the 170mm forks into a 160mm you won't have problems.

I don't know how the U-turn which is only 160m will work with a 170mm travel fork. I expect it will limit the travel, not sure how.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,294 Posts
There's no reason you can't run the damper from a 170mm fork in a 160mm one. In the Lyric, the spring side bits are what control the length/ amount of travel. I'm not sure if the old chassis has long enough stanchions to play nice with a 170mm travel spring setup. It's possible, for sure, but I haven't looked. Same for the old damper. Since there's no damper shaft connecting the crown to the lowers, it might work, but it also might hydrolock deep in its travel, or be effectively underfilled and be undamped for the first bit of its travel. Again, I haven't tried, I don't know.
 

·
Bike's hmmm nice
Joined
·
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He guys, both are 160mm forks..... Just found a can of fork oil from a plan to refresh some of my xc forks back in 2006. (could not get the eta screwed from to topcap ). What would the oil type be for the Lyrik?
 

·
Bike's hmmm nice
Joined
·
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, just ran to the bike shed. Motorex race oil 7,5W would that do the trick? And what is that Isopropinol Alcohol (??) that they speak of in the RS vids? Any euro translation for that?
 

·
EDR
Joined
·
10,421 Posts
And what is that Isopropinol Alcohol
You might see it in a drugstore labeled as "Rubbing Alcohol"...? There is 6%IPA, 70%, 90%, etc. Look for the highest percentage of pure IPA.

As far as oil goes RS oil is re-branded Torco RFF and the listed weights differ. 15W RS is 20W Torco RFF.

You can find the proper damper oil weight (in RS terms) on their website and THIS chart can help you decide what oil would be most compatible. You need to use an oil that is as close to the same viscosity as the RS recommended oil or you will change the damping characteristics of the fork.

I just use the Torco but I will be mixing two weights of Red Line on my next rebuild.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top