Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my Alma came with a Sunrace 11-40 cassette (Shimano) and SLX derailleur/shifter. I have a new wheelset with DT 350 hubs and XD driver. Can I just add a Sram xg1150 11-42 cassette and plug in. Only a 2 tooth diff......I eventually plan to convert to 1X.
Gman

·
Registered
87 Posts
Should work just fine assuming you have a little extra chain length and it isn't already maxed out on the 40t cog when on the big ring up front w/ the Sunrace cassette. Worst case should be new chain if you're already that close

·
Registered
821 Posts
I think the Alma M50 sold with 24-36 chainrings and an SLX M7000 rear derailleur. According to Shimano this derailleur has a 41T capacity, which you are maxing out with your stock 11-40 Sunrace Cassette (12 front + 29 rear).

The xg1150 (which is 10-42 not 11) has a 32 T range giving a total of 44T if you install it on your Alma. That's three teeth more than the stated capacity of the derailleur. It might work, but that's kind of a stretch. You might be able to make it work by using a derailleur extender like the Goat Link from Wolftooth, or maybe not. You may just have to experiment.

PS. All my cautions have to do with the 2X front end. Once you convert to 1x you'll be well within your derailleur's capacity and these objections go away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.