Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year! Silicon Valley Mountain Bikers is proposing to Santa Clara County Parks a bike park located in Sanborn County Park property. SVMTB received a $15,000 grant from REI in 2015 to develop this Family Bike Park Plan so that SVMTB could present it to the county for consideration. The Family Bike Park plan was developed by IMBA Trail Solutions with direction from SVMTB. There's still a lot of work to do on this, but we thought we'd share this with you. A PDF version of the plan can be found on our website:

http://www.svmtb.org/2017/01/bikeparksccproposal/

images-2.jpg images-1.jpg images-3.jpg images-4.jpg images-5.jpg

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Awesome. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
middle ring single track
4,673 Posts
Hey Sean, don't be afraid to share the whole report, the sooner we can have a discussion about estimated costs the sooner the biking public can decide if they want all the "bells and whistles" or start with something more modest.

This would be a perfect opportunity for some of the "big names" in the bicycle business to step up to the plate and show that they care.

·
Formerly dvo
2,027 Posts
Hey Sean, don't be afraid to share the whole report, the sooner we can have a discussion about estimated costs the sooner the biking public can decide if they want all the "bells and whistles" or start with something more modest.

This would be a perfect opportunity for some of the "big names" in the bicycle business to step up to the plate and show that they care.
Also would be the perfect opportunity for a rather well healed local cycling population to put their money and sweat equity to give themselves the best possible trail system. I'm in for $100 for starters. Give me a place to send it.

·
I'm really diggin it!
3,068 Posts

Highly suggest you go with the "all the bells and whistles" bid.

Or do like Truckee bike park and go all volunteer build but do not allow the land manager to attempt the build.

That was attempted in Marin and it was a disaster. A complete waste of the 600K raised by the cycling community.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
I'm with Davey. All in! The land that will be used isn't super large so we should bang for buck while the door is open.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Looks good. A step in the right direction with directional trails, ratings, and designated areas. To me, directional trails and ratings is obvious to have.

Most parks around the bay area should be directional. A way to satisfy both those who favor downhills and climbers, directional trails could change on schedules like every other day. So, Mon,Wed,Fri,Sun trails would be in one direction and Tues,Thurs,Sat the trails would go in opposite direction.

I just hope they actually implement the plan quickly enough while I still am riding. Haha.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Is there a way to donate directly to a fund for this park?
Donate
Direct donations to Silicon Valley Mountain Bikers are separate from SVMTB/IMBA membership dues. 100% of all donations remain in the local community to support our trail efforts in Santa Clara and San Mateo
counties. These donations are tax deductible and our tax ID or EIN is 14-193-1867.
Donate - Silicon Valley Mountain Bikers

·
Registered
784 Posts
What are the odds that this is implemented and what kind of time frame? Do we have any idea?

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

·
middle ring single track
4,673 Posts
So is this approved by the county and just needs funding? What are the next steps?
What I'm hearing is that the County wants an entity established to manage the park; could be SVMTB or more likely a new discreet group only concerned with managing the bike park. They want to see a business plan (management plan?) and with this in hand then SCCParks can go to the BOS and seek approval. I think the County has all it's ducks in a row; they're wondering why the biking community is taking so long.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I ask why the county can't manage it as a park funded by taxpayers. Why do other trail users get the special sauce and we don't?

·
middle ring single track
4,673 Posts
I ask why the county can't manage it as a park funded by taxpayers. Why do other trail users get the special sauce and we don't?
They don't; activities like archery, boating, golf, hang gliding and etc. are managed by a concessionaires, clubs or some sort of lessee. It forms a level of insulation between the County and the activity; a necessity for dangerous activities (like golfing :) )

A good example would be the club that manages hang gliding activities Wings of Rogallo: Sites: Ed Levin

Boats at Vasona (county park) are handled by the Los Gatos (city) Rec. Dept.

An exception would be the Metcalf Rd Motorcycle Park but that gets its funding in part from the State OHV dept.

Green stickers for MTB's anyone??? :)

·
Registered
815 Posts
That looks pretty rad. Why do I get uncomfortable? The maps all have a trail listed as: "Slope Styles." Do the planners ride? It is: Slope Style - not plural, very simple and most riders would see it immediately. Yet it is everywhere on the maps.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
That looks pretty rad. Why do I get uncomfortable? The maps all have a trail listed as: "Slope Styles." Do the planners ride? It is: Slope Style - not plural, very simple and most riders would see it immediately. Yet it is everywhere on the maps.
The people involved are absolutely riders and good ones too. I may be speaking out of turn but I believe the plan presented used Whistler as a benchmark for how it would be built... Should be dope.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
The only funny thing about this is the location. Sanborn, though accessible by road bike. is not really a location that anyone would ever ride to. All the pump tracks / jumping spots in Santa Cruz county can be ridden to by kids. Is this more of a build it and they will come situation?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts