Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super-Dee
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Silicon Valley Mountain Bikers in collaboration with Cupertino Bike Shop and Monte Vista HS MTB Club are having their annual bicycle swap meet.

This is what used to be the ROMP swap and has a new date and Location. This year we are teaming up with the Monte Vista High School MTB club and a portion of the funds raised will be going to support the team.

Sunday May 4th from 10am-4pm – NEW DATE for 2014!
Monta Vista High School – NEW LOCATION
21840 McClellan Rd, Cupertino, CA 95014
https://www.google.com/maps/place/21840+McClellan+Rd/@37.3151044,-122.0571622,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x808fb45c17fecf5b:0xfca27da6ba00118e
Buyer admission is STILL $2.00 per person ($1 if you cycle in). Free buyer parking in the Faculty Lot. Bring plenty of cash – no sellers accept plastic or checks (but a few with Smart Phone technology). No ATM machines nearby. We will have food trucks on-site this year and there bathrooms on site at the High School.

This is the LARGEST bike swap in the San Jose area with well over 75 vendors and 1,000+ attendees. This is the spot to buy road, mountain, BMX and vintage bike parts, frames, tires, tools, clothing-everything bicycle. We have shops, racers, clubs, Reps, and loads of items that you don’t need to pay retail for.

Vendor spaces are still $60.00 each, and now come with SHADE from Solar Panels overhead. Spaces are 9 ft wide, 22 ft long, and 8’9″ tall. The NEW VENDOR PARKING LOT is in the student lot–where the swap will be held. To reserve vendor space call Cupertino Bike Shop at 408-255-2217 (they have moved and have a new location), or email . Please note this year, we have MORE ROOM for vendors and you can bring in your car or truck!

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
Hey dknoel -

How does the 'swapping' work? If I have a few tires and spare parts to sell (or swap) I don't need to pay the whole vendor fee do I?

·
Super-Dee
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you want to have an assigned booth to setup a table, then you would need to pay the fee. If you want to just show up and barter with folks that are there then I guess that would work.

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
OK that's not a bike swap. That's just a bike sale. A swap is where everyone can turn in gear at the beginning, and name their price. Then all the gear is tagged and goes on display for sale, and unpurchased gear must be picked up at the end or donated.

If everyone who wants to sell anything must pay, this is more commonly referred to as a rummage sale or flea market.

See for example:
Selling Stuff | Aspen Ski Swap
When and How to Sell
Blank Price Tags can be picked up at Alpine Bank locations in Aspen, Snowmass, the AABC and Basalt and at the Aspen Schools beginning about October 6th.
Fill out the 3-part tags completely
Bring your tagged sale items to the Aspen Middle School between 4pm and 6pm on Friday October 18th and volunteers will check your items in.
Come shop the Swap on Saturday October 19th from 9:30am – 1:00pm
Get paid or retrieve unsold items the SAME DAY, OCT 19 between 2:15pm – 4:00pm
Cash or Equipment not retrieved Saturday will be donated and greatly appreciated.

48th Annual Marin Ski & Snowboard Swap | Demo Sport
"BRING: your used ski and snowboard equipment and outerwear to DEMO SPORT in San Rafael between 8am and 11am Saturday, October 20th.... Plan to collect money from sales (less service charge) and retrieve unsold items between 4pm and 6pm Sunday afternoon. . . . $1.00 per item. Pricing assistance available. Admission is FREE! "

You could probably make a lot more money if you added that to the event.

·
Let go lightly
220 Posts
Super-Dee - Seems like you and SVMTB are doing the right thing. Don't fight 20 years of success by ROMP with the swap meet. I'm told it's the biggest in the Bay Area so I plan on coming and hope to empty my garage ;-)

·
Registered
356 Posts
I went to the swap today. I have been going to this swap since its inception. Unfortunately most of the items out there was garbage IMO. The sellers are pretty savvy and I would have a good hunch that the really good items went on EBAY, craigslist, or where just kept for themselves. Then again, if your just looking to spend some time and fill up the garage some more, then it is a great place to be on a Sunday!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts