Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there have any experience with them. Here on Long island dealing with moron drivers who feel the urge to adjust the radio, talk on the cell phone , yell at the kids all at the same time while attempting to drive leads me to buy something that I can crawl out of after it gets hit.
I know the Subaru is a nice car but I want something with ground clearance, full frame and low range 4WD.
Thanks

·
Registered
630 Posts
Suzie

I had one as a rental for a week and hated it.

It was an underpowered slug. The brakes were so touchy it was nearly impossible to slow without giving my passengers whiplash.

Cheap looking interior and uncomfortable seats with no place to rest your arms while driving.

IMO, a full frame is overrated in terms of crash worthyness. Unless you are towing, I would broaden your search to include sub-frame vehicles.

C

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
My wife has been driving one for two years now and she is very happy with it. For the price you can't beat it. It is comfortable on trips and has plenty of power compared to other six cylinder SUV's out there. It is not as nice as a 4-runner or a grand cherokee but what do you expect, it only costs half as much.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have one and love it! We bought one to tow behind a motorhome and we needed something to put bikes inside. We can fit 2 road & 2 mtb. bikes inside with the back seat folded down. I don't think it looks cheap at all. I have the 4wd version with the leather seats. There's lots of room inside. I don't think it's doggy at all. It's no BMW, what I sold to buy it, but I didn't expect it to be. I haven't had to use the 4wd for anything yet.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Artie159 said:
Does anyone out there have any experience with them. Here on Long island dealing with moron drivers who feel the urge to adjust the radio, talk on the cell phone , yell at the kids all at the same time while attempting to drive leads me to buy something that I can crawl out of after it gets hit.
I know the Subaru is a nice car but I want something with ground clearance, full frame and low range 4WD.
Thanks
Well according to autos.msn a Subaru Outback has 8.4" clearance compared to 7.6" on the XL-7. A 4 cylinder subbie has nearly the same HP (~15 less) as the XL-7 6 cyliner and at a much better mpg.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.