Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Bikes, Beer, and Sex
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone could help me out. I have a specailized enduro with a fox dhx shock on it and I want to stiffen it up some. I feel like its too soft and slows me down and I'm botteming it out pretty regularly. I'm already running 20 lbs more pressure than what is recomended for my weight. Can I run more without hurting the shock? What should I set my pre load and sag to? Or should I just say f u c k it and buy something better?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,371 Posts
Yeah, you're pretty screwed with the DHX air. It has exceptionally poor mid-stroke damping, causing it to blow through travel and reach the end of travel easily, plus it doesn't leave much travel available for the next bump, so it gets easily overwhelmed at speed.

I had to try it, as it was "all the rage" when it first came out.

Well, strangely Fox decided to use different damping bits in the DHX air than they did with the DHX coil.

The DHX coil is a far more consistant shock and has much better mid-stroke support.

I don't know what your shock options are, but the DHX air is not one of the better shocks I've used, it seems to be too "plush" at low speed, which probably sells bikes out of the bike shop, but on the trail it gets overwhelmed easily. Even an RP23 is better IMO.

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
its not a freeride bike . So jumping it and doing drops will bottom out the shock . Also I owend an enduro and the dhx air mid stroke is very weak . I always blew through my travel even trailriding. You can hunt down a 8.5x 2.5 vanilla that will work without clearance issues. But to make it work you also need to press out the rear du bushing to get the specialized rear bolt thru. The coil will feel much better but it doesn't make the frame stronger and if your a big guy I would be careful on how far you push the bikes limits with DH/fr.

As for sag it should be around 1/2 to 3/4 inch of shock stroke. It is also aright to add more air just don't go over the max pressure which is labled on the shock . More air will stiffen it up some but the mid stroke will still be weak . Propedal affects the inital part of the stroke and bottom out works on the last part of the stroke . No matter what the dhx air will blow thru its mid travel way to easy .

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
Also look in the specialized forum for a thread about beefed up enduros there is some good info on what coil shocks will work and with what frame sizes. Hard part is finding the right size coil as the length and stroke are weird sizes from the norm . No thanks to specialized.

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,981 Posts
Man, if I had a dollar for every person that complained about this shock blowing through its travel, I would be a very rich man. I hope they fixed this for 09. That being said, I don't think that helps you. Some people put a a different canister on to help it not be so soft.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,371 Posts
NMPhi767 said:
I hope they fixed this for 09.
EVERY year someone says it's fixed. EVERY year we learn it's not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.