Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed that the rear shock on my RIP has around 1/2" of the bottom of the shock shaft that isn't used for travel. Aired the suspension down and cycled the suspension to full bottom out and don't use all the shock shaft.

When setting up the rear suspension do you base your 25-30% sag setting on the actual travel range of the rear shock (not including that last 1/2") or on the visible length of the shock shaft (including that last 1/2")? If you set it up based on the actual travel, then you obviously end up with a more firm suspension.

·
NMBP
1,158 Posts
According to the "Niner Encyclopedia": https://s3.amazonaws.com/NinerDocs/NIN_OWNERS_UNIVERS.pdf 25% sag will be achieved when the o-ring is 12.5mm down the shaft. This looks true for both the older version and the newer air formed version. The Rockshox Monarch rear shock on my newer version doesn't use all of the shaft, but my older versions with the Fox RP23 shock did. Just curious, is yours the older version?

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2012 RIP with an RP23. Weird that I don't get full stroke if I should. Will drop the pressure and cycle it again to be sure I'm seeing it correctly. What year was your older version that did use all of the RP23 shaft?

Anyone with a 2012 that can check to see if they use the full shock shaft at bottom out?

Thanks for the link to the older manual! Riding today so I'll set it up based on the 12.5 reference and check it out.

·
NMBP
1,158 Posts
Mine was a 2010. Maybe give Fox a call and see what they have to say. I had a shock on a Mach429 I had a problem with, and they were very helpful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts