Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a few questions about fork and shock setup. I am 110lbs and ride mostly fr/dh.

Fork: I have a rockshox domain 318 (static 180mm version) and I'm currently running the white spring (softest, supposedly rated for 100-140lbs). However, it seems really soft, even for me. And some of us can almost bottom it by just pushing it down really hard. Is it supposed to be like that? Do I need a higher rate fork spring? And would a heavier fork spring change how responsive/reboundy your fork is?
Also, it seems like the response in the fork just isn't quite there. When I try my friend's fork, it's much more responsive, however, my friend's fork is air, so that may make a difference... Even with my rebound cranked all the way up, it still doesn't return quite as quickly as some other forks I have tried. Could this be because of the soft spring? Or maybe because of something having to will oil? Idk...

Rear Shock: My rear shock (van r) seems pretty good. I have a 400 spring in right now, does that seem right for my weight?

Basically I'm wondering all of this because I haven't tried out many other properly-tuned bikes, so I really don't have much to compare my suspension to. This means mine could be way off, or just right.
Thanks

·
Pro Crastinator
12,018 Posts
spacemarine5 said:
...I have a 400 spring in right now, does that seem right for my weight?
since i remember you have a big hit (though others may not) and we already went thru this, what do you think? are you still bottoming easily? if not, sounds right to me...

as for your fork, i think RS springs are on the soft side already, since everyone i know has needed the x-firm springs. your fork is most likely undersprung as well...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
.WestCoastHucker. said:
since i remember you have a big hit (though others may not) and we already went thru this, what do you think? are you still bottoming easily? if not, sounds right to me...

as for your fork, i think RS springs are on the soft side already, since everyone i know has needed the x-firm springs. your fork is most likely undersprung as well...
Lol I was wondering whether people would remember me from that other thread... Anyway, the rear shock isn't my main concern this time. Going up to the next highest spring would make it a lot livelier, right?
What do you mean by undersprung?

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
I never got the idea that everyone thinks bottoming is terrible for your bike. As long as you aren't bottoming 24/7 you're good. You should use most of your travel.

Your spring seems on the heavy side, but it all varies by design of the frame.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Raptordude said:
I never got the idea that everyone thinks bottoming is terrible for your bike. As long as you aren't bottoming 24/7 you're good. You should use most of your travel.

Thats good to hear.

And I have heard multiple people say that RS springs are on the soft side, but does that mean that a spring rated up to 140 is too light for me at 110 (a little more all geared up)? One thing I know, it is way too light for some of my friends in the 135-140 range...

·
Registered
374 Posts
Raptordude said:

Agreed. They gave you X amount of travel for a reason. If you have 7 inches and your only using 5 1/2 of it, your not using it hard enough. But if your bottoming just by pushing down? Then you deff. need some stiffer springs. I have the near same problem with my 888.

·
Pro Crastinator
12,018 Posts
the kid would ride a of a 4 foot drop to a decent tranny and his bike would bottom out easily, in whose eyes is this a good thing?

there is an obvious difference between using all of your properly tuned suspension and a bike that bottoms out all the time...

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
the kid would ride a of a 4 foot drop to a decent tranny and his bike would bottom out easily, in whose eyes is this a good thing?

there is an obvious difference between using all of your properly tuned suspension and a bike that bottoms out all the time...
what he said.

id bump up to a heavier spring

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
.WestCoastHucker. said:

Your talking about the fork right? I have since gone from a 350 to a 400 in the rear shock.

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:

Definitely true. Just pointing out that bottoming on occasion with properly setup suspension isn't the end of the world.

·
Banned
1,372 Posts
Raptordude said:
While I agree that you should use most of your travel, bottoming out is a bad thing because it produces a very high stresses due to the instant stop. Particularly bad for frames.

Somebody stated a while ago that you should bottom out once per ride....I don't think that applies to modern suspension. You should be able to come very close to bottoming on the biggest drops you do, and only bottom if you mess up. If you are bottoming often, get new springs or be prepared to break something.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.