Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many fellow riders service their own suspension?

I have been thinking about giving it a crack on my RS revelation 409 forks and monarch 3.3 rear, does anybody have experience with these models that can give some good advice.

I do all other wrenching requirements myself no problems and this is the last frontier for me to try and get to grips with.

How easy do you find it?

Any problems you have encountered?

Best place to buy service kits from?

Send them replies on in, i look forward to some good responses.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm planning on tackling air sleeve and oil changes on my new bike with fox stuff. The 30 hour maintenance cycle would cost me a ton of money if I took it to a shop several times a year. I figure worst case I'll just be "that guy" with a half disassembled fork in the shop asking for help.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I did the Fox Air Sleeve Service kit. The YouTube video(s) are good.
Here's one.....
Buy the seal kit for $8.50 from www.enduroforkseals.com

I'll never go back to a Specialized Brain type shock. Specialized demands you pay $150.
I coulda rebuilt that shock, if I wanted to find a hypodermic needle system of Nitrogen injection. Not a household item!!

Fox stuff is easy.
I rebuilt my Fox F100 forks too. A fluid flush is really all I do, religiously. Those things will last forever if they are clean inside. I use 5w-20 motor oil to save money. The detergents in motor oil don't hurt anything. I might even clean it some!

I also have redone the Epic and Blur frame pivot bearings. You can pick out the seals and re-grease them OR you can buy the (www.enduroforkseals.com) bearings and do it yourself. If you need to pull bearings, buy a 3/8" threaded rod at Home Depot, with a bunch of washers and nuts. Any cheap socket set seems to have the right diameter sockets to pull and push those bearings in the Blur. The Epic's bearings were only hand tight.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just got a Reba RLT Ti and its set at 100 and I need to add the spacer to make it 80mm. Its a brand new fork just out of box. My last fork was a 97 manitou that just had elastomer in it. So I am a bit nervous to tear into a new fork. But only one way to learn. I figure as long as I follow the tech manual I should be ok.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I do all my own wrenching. I hadn't service a fork until last weekend when I tore my r7 down and replaced the fluids. It hadn't been serviced since I got it a couple years ago.

I found a glob of heavy oil on the bottom of the left lower. It had seeped down past the piston, where I added it every few months. Don't think it was enough to affect the ride, but it sure rides sweet after the fluid change.

As mentioned, following the manual is the key. Looking at other resources like enduro seals might help clarify something in the manual.

·
Bike Addiction
763 Posts
My first time this past weekend. I made a mess but their both working great after changing fluids and seals on Fox 100mm and 120mm. Didn't notice any difference on the 120 but the 100 works better. I don't think it had the right amount of fluid in or some had gotten past the seals.
Guys got any suggestions for puttin in fluid? The Maxima fluid I used was clinging to the sides of my measuring cup and I had to guess how much I lost. I used a syringe for the bottom holes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.