Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
archer said:
Contemplating a suspension seatpost for my hardtail.

Help talk me into or outof the idea.
Get a thudbuster. There's no reason not to, and there's no reason to buy anything else. Set up properly it WILL make your ride very noticeably more plush. Wont make you faster, but it will give you more comfort and more control and downhills that you had to stand for before that you can now sit on.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I don't know if Tamer is still making it, but the Tricky Dick was a nice post.
It was a linkage design like the Thudbuster, but had a shaft going the tube which led to the coil spring. It has a good damping characteristics. It was heavier, but the ride was very smooth.

I don't have mine anymore, have moved over to full suspension nowadays.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
I give the ThudBuster two thuds up! (groan)

Especially if you can catch it on sale for under $90. Usually it's around $120 or so.

Have it on my Trek 4900 and don't notice a huge difference, but when you slam the rear tire unexpectedly over a curb, say, you'll be grateful! Maybe it's b/c my weight is in between one type of polymer and another, that I'm the minimum weight for what it's currently set up for, hence the subtlety.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Definitely try something..

I have only firsthand riding time on three kinds of suspension seatposts, but all of them were an improvement over rigid posts.

In my Cannondale hardtail I used the CODA post, but it was heavy and gummy feeling, so I sold it and tried a RockShox post. That was much better in function and weight, but I found I needed a little setback and a longer than standard (350mm) length.

I installed a USE shockpost, and have loved it ever since. Three years on, and I can't imagine riding without it. The bike has recently become a singlespeed and now sees only a few trail rides a month, but the post has been a champ through it all. I chose the XCR because of the 390mm length and setback.

Learn more here.. http://www.use1.com/shokposts/shokposts.htm

Good luck!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thudbuster works great

I went from a rigid seatpost to a thudbuster on my HT and it works great. Used it for about 3 years and with a crud buster on it looks pretty good still. It will definetly help your back by absorbing some of the smaller hits and make everything more comfortabe in the backside region. If I didn't have it I would probably ride my FS most of the time, but since I do I ride my ht more than my FS.

·
rack admirer
665 Posts
Sag

For me the only draw back is the suspension sag. When you get behind the saddle, the seat rises (say 1/2 inch) and is more difficult to return on top.
I have a Rock Shox version. Very old but dependable. Saves your vertebra from absorbing every hit. Quite worth it for my hardtail riding. I mostly ride FS now, but go back to the hardtail for change-up.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I have a RS post as well on my hardtail. While it does seem to smooth out small to medium jolts it has the drawback of constantly changing the geometry of my riding position, whereas a rear suspension bike does not.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Another Thudbuster vote.

Started with one for my wife a couple summers back. After 8 years of struggling on her hardtail, she really began to enjoy riding and a marked improvement in attitude and skill followed, precipitating a move to full suspension.

I was impressed enough that I put on on my own hardtail. Gotta remember that it's there to take the edge off, but not absorb the big hits. Your knees are still the primary suspension when the trail gets rough.

The "2G" (second generation) Thudbusters are still available from places like Universal for around $90, probably less now that the 3G/LT and 4G/ST (short travel) versions are out. Both of the new posts feature larger, servicable pivots, and both offer ~15mm more setback (whereas the previous generation offered approximately none).

I just ordered a 1.3" travel 4G for my Buzz Bomb to replace the 3.5" travel one on there now, mainly because of the extra setback which will prove useful for this particular application. The extra 100g of weight savings of the shorter travel version is of minor importance, but beware that all of these posts are fairly heavy (but worth it, in my opinion).

·
Registered
118 Posts
The USE is practically the same weight as most stock seatposts and travels in a straight line. The Thudbusters are heavier and travel in an arc. If you have a preference to the way your saddle is going to move about while you pedal, you should try them out first to make sure you don't get annoyed by the motion of the suspension seatpost. I have the original USE shokpost ordered from England about 7 years ago. It's never let me down and I'm able to stay seated and pedal over a lot of stuff when my friends need to stand. I hear the XCR works even better and has more travel. However, you need to be realistic about it and know that suspension seatposts are not going to give you a super smooth ride. They take some of the bumps out, but you essentially end up with a rear suspension that has a virtual pivot about the handlebars or somewhere up in that area.

·
Registered
335 Posts
CharT said:
The USE is practically the same weight as most stock seatposts and travels in a straight line. The Thudbusters are heavier and travel in an arc. If you have a preference to the way your saddle is going to move about while you pedal, you should try them out first to make sure you don't get annoyed by the motion of the suspension seatpost. I have the original USE shokpost ordered from England about 7 years ago. It's never let me down and I'm able to stay seated and pedal over a lot of stuff when my friends need to stand. I hear the XCR works even better and has more travel. However, you need to be realistic about it and know that suspension seatposts are not going to give you a super smooth ride. They take some of the bumps out, but you essentially end up with a rear suspension that has a virtual pivot about the handlebars or somewhere up in that area.
I have a rockshock with a long red elastomer in it tightened up so there is very little sag...i dont like the downside of sag...when you are behind saddle on steep descent and need to come forward for a log or rock...lol. I am nearly 200lbs so it still takes the big hits esp when climbing...i dont have to come out of the saddle as much.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the responses.
I'm thinking of going with the NitroPro.

I know someone with one and they have good things to say about it. Would be nice to try some different types before dropping that much change. Doesn't look like any of the LBSs actually stock much of anything including the Thudbuster or RockShox.

·
Registered
72 Posts
archer said:

Three years ago, it was either buy a F/S or quit riding. My lower back was killing me for a week after every ride. I did a bunch of research, tried various brands of suspension seatposts, and bought a ThudBuster. The four-bar set-up is much better than a linear movement because it doesn't affect your pedal/saddle geometry much if at all. Sure, the rearward arc affects fore/aft position, but that's not as crucial.

The only drawback (to basically ALL suspension seatposts) is that there's no damping. They give back 100% of the energy they absorb, and they do it RIGHT NOW. If you're really cranking, and just let the post take the edge off of the bumps, it's fine. If you're just putting along, it's fine. But if you're going fast when you're too tired to stay light on the saddle, they can buck you off the bike. I learned this the hard way in my last race... Landed a jump at speed, bounced off the saddle and went *******s and teacups. Blew my SID and toasted an XTR/517 when the bike tumbled. Finished in 23rd place. Aside from the down time for repairs, the out-of pocket cost was about $225. :(

Sooo.... Caveat emptor. Or more appropriately, rider beware. I wouldn't ride without it, but it's not the panacea.

I understand that White Industries (great motorcycle suspension company) makes a sus seatpost w/ damping. It's a linear post, but... Anyway, check out the reviews before you buy: http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/Suspension_Seatpost/product_88558.shtml

$0.02

Mark

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
$$

I was once seriously considering buying a Thudbuster a little while ago, but i decided not to because of the price. Around here the LBS wanted $210 CND. I would rather save the cash. I'm a cheapskate, what can i say. Thats why I bought my tires at Canadian Tire and my helmet at Sportcheck yada yada yada. Thats also why I don't have a fs bike. Never tried a Thudbuster, but they are supposed to be really nice.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did check out the reviews for the White. It seemed folks were generally happy but the comments seemed to indicate a rather high breakage rate. I think the air damping for the White and the supposed internal oil damping of the Nitro may be a wash. The White probably weighs a bit less while the sealed cartridge set up for the Nitro does not seem to require the same degree of servicing.

One of my problems with both seatposts and forks is I seem to weigh in right at the break point between standard and large riders. I'm thinking of upgrading the shock springs as well but I've not bottomed the puppy out.

·
No. Just No.
5,360 Posts
Archer, check your PMs

I have a used suspension post for sale if interested - details already sent in PM to your user ID.

·
Registered
248 Posts
i like my thudbuster. i also tried a POS transx seatpost. the transx sucks, but still gives a little relief.

the thudbuster does bounce around a little, but not enough to warrant any real complaint. my only complaint is how it matches up with certain frames. i have an old gt, that is probably on the big size frame wise for me, but still comfortable. i can't put the thudbuster in because it makes the seat too high, so keep that in mind. if you ride with a lot of seat post exposed, you should be alright. it works great on my schwinn hardtail, since it has more downward slope in the top tube.

·
Registered
601 Posts
archer said:

I got a Rock Shox sus seatpost about 2 years ago after reading all the reviews here in an attempt to relieve a very strong lower back pain I would get around few tracks I race on.

I have ridden it exhaustively for about a year and in the end I sold it because not only could I not tell the difference in the ride quality but in fact I still got the very same back pain on those few tracks riding the suspension post. Furthermore there is no way you get the claimed 50 mm travel out of it, more like 20-25 mm at best. Before you all go off at me the post was adjusted with the correct elastomer for my weight and preload.

I even tried the infamous 'go back to a rigid post' test after riding it for about a year. Didn't have any soreness, didn't feel the ride any more harsh and all in all no different impression than when I had the suspension post on it. After that and also after I got that same lower back pain on suspension post that I had before, I decided to get rid of it.

Having said that although it didn't work for me there is no reason why it might not work for you as, judging objectively from all those positive reviews (and responses here) lots of people seem to like them. The Rock Shox post itself is of excellent construction. Mine never got ANY slop, was rock solid for the time I owned it even through some tough winter/rain/mud riding. Disassembling it was also as easy as anything and on top of that it came with a rebuild kit, not that I was going to need that for a few years if I had kept it.

As for all those people who got projected OTB - It's not the suspension post that's launching you, its you attempting to sit while riding harsh bumps just like you would get thrown when riding any rigid post. That elastomer CAN NOT launch a full size person no matter how much you load it, so next time approaching that root at speed don't blame the post but you attempting to sit when you should be standing.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Boj said:
...As for all those people who got projected OTB - It's not the suspension post that's launching you, its you attempting to sit while riding harsh bumps just like you would get thrown when riding any rigid pos...
Very true! This can also happen on a full suspension bike if you stay seated taking a harsh hit. When I got my first full suspension, I made the assumption that I could sit through absolutely everything, even drops. Hey I was young and dumb! Took a 1 foot drop at full speed the bike bucked me on the rebound. I quickly learned.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.