Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a wide base asking:

I have a Kona Hot that I want to make a 96er SS.

Can I use a suspension fork on it and do this? Or is the geo going to be way off?

If possible, what do I need to check?

Jimms

·
Registered
139 Posts
It should be possible to use a suspension fork on your build as long as you know the limits of your bike geometry and front fork recommendations. For example, my BMC trailfox recommends a 26" suspension fork at ~ 130mm. Instead I used a 100mm 29er Reba fork. The extra 1.5 inches of wheel radius is about 36mm. So ultimately I have the front at 6mm more than recommeded (0.2 inches), and am still able to keep the recommended geometry. The bottom line is you have to give up that extra 36mm somewhere (axle to crown or suspension)

My bike HA is fairly steep at 71 degrees, so if you don't mind going more slack on H/A, you can go past the recommended total fork height recommendations and slow down your steering. Honestly I think I couldve gotten away with 120mm Reba 29er fork, as the steering is still razor precise and I could use more travel. But this is more a try and feel it kinda thing.

HTH

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.