Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Go faster!
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I wanted to buy a new suspension but there is a slight problem beyond not knowing what fork to buy, (I don’t know if i should buy a RS REBA or FOX RLC 80 or 100mm...) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I don’t know the suspension heights so I could make a better decision, first I don’t want to change my bike geometry and pedaling position, 2nd I can make my mind in one time instead of hammering myself on witch fork to buy! :madman: :D
Resuming I need to know the distance between the center of the wheels axle and the top of the suspension crown near the frame like in the picture.. or total fork lenght:

If someone can catch or measure those values for me would be very nice!
thanks

Attachments

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
sergio_pt said:
(I don't know if i should buy a RS REBA or FOX RLC 80 or 100mm...)
Both of those have about the same height, Reba and Fox. 100mm will add 20mm to your a2c height. What's your current fork? You mention not wanting to alter the geometry.

_MK

·
Go faster!
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am currently using an old 2002 marzocchi MXC ECC tunned to 80mm, it weights 1670g. From memory i cant remember the fork lenght.

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
crisillo said:
According to the Reba's Specs and Standards, it has an Axle-to-Crown height of 458 +/- 5mm at 85mm travel.
Fox is 3mm shorter being 450mm at 80mm.

sergio, if your current fork is an 80mm fork, you should stick with an 80mm fork to retain your geometry.

_MK

·
Go faster!
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot!
I guess the winner is: '07 FOX F80 RLC ! Yeeeeahh!
I’ve been measuring my suspension a litle while ago and it has 450-450mm a2c, the reba would be very tall even changing the stem spacers, so the option is FOX! :thumbsup:
thanks all

·
Go faster!
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pvd said:
ever hear of 'ride height adjustment'?

almost all forks come with it.

buy the reba.
Yes.. but how do you ajust the reba? Marzochi had to take 2 heavy springs inside to reduce height. And after that the susp start leaking a bit of air til now.

·
Super Moderator
20,808 Posts
MK_ said:
Fox is 3mm shorter being 450mm at 80mm.

sergio, if your current fork is an 80mm fork, you should stick with an 80mm fork to retain your geometry.

_MK
I wouldn't sweat it much about the 5mm difference in travel (8mm A to C) between the Reba and the Fox.... if it was a bigger jump maybe... but less than 10mm is no biggie..and 10mm is about half a degree in head angle... not that big deal.. at least for me anyway..

·
Go faster!
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I understood you were talking about the fork on the erlier post...

Now I've made my mind! :)
My concern was about the A2C between a 100mm fork and a 80mm fork. The reba WC is a very nice light, stiff and cool suspension but no 80mm version, so the 2nd option is fox at 80mm, wich is a very nice fork or maybe better than reba!
any good deals on fox?

·
Super Moderator
20,808 Posts
good deals on fox come by rarely.. while deals on Rebas are far more common....... both are great forks so there is no wrong way... a U-turn Reba could give you a lot more chance to try different ride heights as pvd mentioned before..

EDIT: the weight difference between the WC and the race is minimal, while the price difference is HUGE.. so I'd recommend you look for the Team model..

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
sergio_pt said:
I understood you were talking about the fork on the erlier post...

Now I've made my mind! :)
My concern was about the A2C between a 100mm fork and a 80mm fork. The reba WC is a very nice light, stiff and cool suspension but no 80mm version, so the 2nd option is fox at 80mm, wich is a very nice fork or maybe better than reba!
any good deals on fox?
Reba is a better fork than Fox. The damper is superior. You may want to consider the air u-turn model for on the fly travel adjustment.

_MK

·
Go faster!
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
crisillo said:
good deals on fox come by rarely.. while deals on Rebas are far more common.......
Yes! Thats not good!

I think 80 mm is plenty enough for me, I never botom down the susp. I'm more a XC racer, with some agressive XC flashes from time to time!.. :D Most of the time I like to ride fast and low. The marz has performed good all these years at 80, so its ok.

·
Go faster!
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MK_ said:
Reba is a better fork than Fox. The damper is superior. You may want to consider the air u-turn model for on the fly travel adjustment.

_MK
That sounds nice. -> uphill 85mm, downhill 115mm! hhmmm But the uturn will had some more weight.

·
Super Moderator
20,808 Posts
sergio_pt said:
That sounds nice. -> uphill 85mm, downhill 115mm! hhmmm But the uturn will had some more weight.
then just go for the team dual air and set the spacers to 85mm :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Go faster!
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
crisillo said:
then just go for the team dual air and set the spacers to 85mm :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Are the spacers alredy inside to swap or do I have to buy them sep.?

·
Super Moderator
20,808 Posts
sergio_pt said:
Are the spacers alredy inside to swap or do I have to buy them sep.?
the aftermarket forks usually come set at 100mm and the 15mm spacer is included in the bag with the manual.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts