Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Just Ride
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the word on the new Manitou Revox? yay? nay? i was on the phone with intense today and the guy said it was supposed to be the sh!t. said it was the nicest shock he'd ever seen and recommended it much more so over the DHX. so yeah anyone heard anything on em yet? any broken ones yet, anything like that?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Uses the new Intrisnic dampening, same as the Travis forks. Super sweet dampening. I got to test ride it on a Trek Session frame at a demo day. Hated the frame, but loved the fork and shock. It's a platform, but it's not notchy like previous SPV and SPV Evolve forks/shocks. It's extremely smooth, it works without you even knowing it. It's got a big shaft on it too, handles the lateral loads very well. Super adjustable, etc, etc.

·
Innovate or die!
702 Posts
lol yeah could be true.........cane creek double barrel is another sick but pricey shock....

bear in mind that Intense is fully sponsored by manitou......

I dont get why a revox is better......... basically all tehy did is get rid of SPV for the first half of the stroke (no pedal platform!!!) and made stuff adjustable by knobs....... anyone ride it yet?

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
It seems like they're taking the right steps with SPV. I ride SPV on my rear shock and absolutley love. I just recently recieved my first fork with SPV Evolve. I'll see how this performs. I think its very functional and practical. It suits a lot of people's riding styles who don't have a huge budget to have 2 or 3 bikes for different applications.

Intrinsic looks like a step in the right direction without completley ditching an entire dampning system. Hopefully it'll be good competition to RC2.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,000 Posts
with every hype thing manitou has done lately...you think the stuff was gold...first the Xworks...that fork isn't being produced, the travis is having problems now......

My advice sit and wait a year and let others be guieny pigs....don't buy them right away

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Just checked one out yesterday...

... at the local distributor - not on a bike :)

The shock comes stock with a titanium coil spring, hence why it's so expensive. However, it is CRAZY LIGHT. I was looking at a 9.5 x 3.0 shock and it was silly how light it was. We are supposed to be getting a sample soon.

As for performance, I can't say if it's going to be great or not, as I simply haven't ridden it.

The biggest issue that I can see (for frame manufacturers) is that the knobs mounted on the top of the reservoir "mast" make the shock difficult to fit into many frame designs. This will of course vary by design, but with a frame like ours where we drop the top tube as low as possible for better standover clearance, it could be an issue.

However, if Manitou manages to pull off "intrinsic" damping the way they want to, it could really, really be cool.

There are lots of really cool rear shocks in the market for 2006 from a LOT of vendors:

OEM Avalanches
Marzocchi Roco
Progressive 5ths
Fox DHX coils and airs
Manitou Revox
and we'll see about this Ohlins shock that Cane Creek is doing...

As an aside, I just had my Roco ripped apart this afternoon by Naz at Marzocchi Canada and we custom valved the rebound shim stack, added variable viscosity oil and generally tuned the @#[email protected] out of the shock. HOLY CRAP - what a huge difference! The Roco that I have is a preproduction shock so a few things aren't totally dialed yet, but the new tune is just sick, sick, sick! More reviews on that after I go beat on it for the next week :)

Cheers,

Noel Buckley

·
Light, Strong and Long
194 Posts
revox

Manitou is deffinatly on to something with their intrinsic dampening. It feels way better than normal spv. I think they should intigrate it into their whole line, not just DH stuff.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
KonaStinky05 said:
Check that huge *** thread about the double barrel on the shocks board, it seems like thatll be the best shock out.

So

Manitou Revox
Push'd DHX
Cane Creek Double Barrel

Those are my choices now I guess
Looks like a list of the most expensive shocks. If the Marz ROCO wasn't vaporware we could probably assume it would work quite well. Double Barrel seems like vaporware too.

·
Innovate or die!
702 Posts
the double barrel is actually an amazingly well thought out shock.

All push, no pull on the damping, ever, therefore everything has the same resistance(figurative), and can be adjusted accordingly while affecting other circuits.

Ohlins shock research took the car racing suspension market by storm, im just sad that someone like cane creek got the liscense for their tech, because they do not really have a reputation in FR/DH.

I just wanna get rid of my swinger 4 way sometime soon.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
RobsterCraw said:
Looks like a list of the most expensive shocks. If the Marz ROCO wasn't vaporware we could probably assume it would work quite well. Double Barrel seems like vaporware too.
It's not vapour ware - it's just not publically available yet! :)

I've been running a couple of these over the past month and it is really promising. It's not going to be for everyone, but then again, which shock is? There are still a one or two minor issues to sort out, but overall the shock is super smooth.

And, yes, the range of shocks on the market this year is stunning: both in terms of numbers as well as quality.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Its not vaporware as in fictitious, but if you market a product for a few months like its already available but only insiders can get their hads on it, it pretty much qualifies. Marz really should have tried to bring it to market before the hype died out. Which is about whats happening. I'm speaking from an objective stance, though. I'm happy with my DHX and rear shocks are one of those products that I won't buy in their first year.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
12 grams heavyer than an Air DHX is pretty crazy but im looking forward to seeing something on Rock Shox's new Air DH shox. considering there products of late, it should also be up there as far as peformance/quality goes...

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
BJ- said:
12 grams heavyer than an Air DHX is pretty crazy but im looking forward to seeing something on Rock Shox's new Air DH shox. considering there products of late, it should also be up there as far as peformance/quality goes...
Yeah, hopefully they got that SRAM quality injection. Sram rules.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
RobsterCraw said:
Its not vaporware as in fictitious, but if you market a product for a few months like its already available but only insiders can get their hads on it, it pretty much qualifies. Marz really should have tried to bring it to market before the hype died out. Which is about whats happening. I'm speaking from an objective stance, though. I'm happy with my DHX and rear shocks are one of those products that I won't buy in their first year.
Ya, I totally hear you on this. However, I think when you're Marzocchi and you put a prototype rear shock on a high profile rider's bike (like Cedric) who used to ride for another suspension company, people are going to notice. Marzocchi probably doesn't even have to hype it that much - the Internet forums will do it for them. Like any well known manufacturer who's going to prototype new products, the development time is going to be long enough that at some point, the public is going to notice before the component is available to them.

Yes, first year is always interesting - with the Roco, they seem to be doing it right and taking the time to ensure that the performance and reliability is what it should be. As well, the shock is relatively easy to service. I watched the local tech rebuild mine (we were modifying the rebound shim stack) on Tuesday and it took only about 30-45 minutes. Of course, he's totally trained, but there wasn't anything that couldn't be done with out a vise, a screw driver, a couple of allen keys and a cresent wrench :)

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts