Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m 6’2”, 225#, and I’d like to pick up a suspension fork after riding rigid for the past year and a half. I’ve owned a couple of Marzocchis in the past and haven’t been too impressed with the recent stuff. The MX Comp I bought last year ended up on my wife’s ride due to noodliness and lack of stiff enough springs.

I was thinking of a Manitou Black, Fox Vanilla or Fox Float, but I’m open to suggestions and I’m in no hurry. The only criteria is 100mm of travel since that is what my frame is designed for, and something that doesn’t track like a total noodle. I don’t go big, and I’m completely clueless on this, so any suggestions from other clydes would be welcome.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hmmm...

Rocket Reducer No. 62 said:
I'm 6'2", 225#, and I'd like to pick up a suspension fork after riding rigid for the past year and a half. I've owned a couple of Marzocchis in the past and haven't been too impressed with the recent stuff. The MX Comp I bought last year ended up on my wife's ride due to noodliness and lack of stiff enough springs.

I was thinking of a Manitou Black, Fox Vanilla or Fox Float, but I'm open to suggestions and I'm in no hurry. The only criteria is 100mm of travel since that is what my frame is designed for, and something that doesn't track like a total noodle. I don't go big, and I'm completely clueless on this, so any suggestions from other clydes would be welcome.

Thanks.
Hmmm,

I'm exactly the same size and my Marzocchi MX Comp w/ ETA is a great fork for me, especially in rocky, rooty situations. The fork is one side air and one side coil, which rides quite differently than the regular MX Comp (which I have owned too, and didn't like). The ETA is also great for out of the saddle climbing on the SS. my $.02

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I cheaped out

whitewashedwalls said:
Hmmm,

I'm exactly the same size and my Marzocchi MX Comp w/ ETA is a great fork for me, especially in rocky, rooty situations. The fork is one side air and one side coil, which rides quite differently than the regular MX Comp (which I have owned too, and didn't like). The ETA is also great for out of the saddle climbing on the SS. my $.02
I bought the coil only version as well. Thankfully my wife digs it, but it caused me to kinda write of Marzocchi...

But, you aren't the first person to say great things about the air/coil models with ETA, so I'll add it to the list. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought the coil only version as well. Thankfully my wife digs it, but it caused me to kinda write of Marzocchi...

But, you aren't the first person to say great things about the air/coil models with ETA, so I'll add it to the list. Thanks!
Over the last couple of years/bikes I've owned the following forks:

03 Marzocchi MX Comp w/ ETA 105mm

03 Manitou Black Elite w/ Extra Firm Spring kit 80/100mm

03 RockShox Duke SL

04 Marzocchi MX Comp 105mm

04 Marzocchi MX Comp w/ ETA 105mm

I kept wanting to try new/different forks, but I kept coming back to the MX Comp ETA. Good handling, not so complicated to set up (like the Marathons, some Fox), and great value for the $. Good luck w/ your search.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$$$$$

whitewashedwalls said:
Over the last couple of years/bikes I've owned the following forks:

03 Marzocchi MX Comp w/ ETA 105mm

03 Manitou Black Elite w/ Extra Firm Spring kit 80/100mm

03 RockShox Duke SL

04 Marzocchi MX Comp 105mm

04 Marzocchi MX Comp w/ ETA 105mm

I kept wanting to try new/different forks, but I kept coming back to the MX Comp ETA. Good handling, not so complicated to set up (like the Marathons, some Fox), and great value for the $. Good luck w/ your search.
Value is key right now, and the reason I included the Black on the original post. I kinda shot my wad building up a new wheelset recently and the cheaper the better on fork, and the air/coil Comps are close in price to the Blacks right now.

I'd really love to check these forks out on my bike before I commit. Too bad shops don't stock loaners to mount on your bike and check out for the weekend. ;)

Late,

·
Registered
885 Posts
Psylo...

I'm just alittle smaller than you. Just picked up a Rock Shox Psylo SL 2003 model new for $239. Seems a great fork for the price, stiffer than my Atom Race 80mm too.

MC

I'm 6'2", 225#, and I'd like to pick up a suspension fork after riding rigid for the past year and a half. I've owned a couple of Marzocchis in the past and haven't been too impressed with the recent stuff. The MX Comp I bought last year ended up on my wife's ride due to noodliness and lack of stiff enough springs.

I was thinking of a Manitou Black, Fox Vanilla or Fox Float, but I'm open to suggestions and I'm in no hurry. The only criteria is 100mm of travel since that is what my frame is designed for, and something that doesn't track like a total noodle. I don't go big, and I'm completely clueless on this, so any suggestions from other clydes would be welcome.

Thanks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MellowCat said:
I'm just alittle smaller than you. Just picked up a Rock Shox Psylo SL 2003 model new for $239. Seems a great fork for the price, stiffer than my Atom Race 80mm too.

MC
I wanted to check out the Psylo, but my shop-rat buddys are a little leary of Rock Shox these days, for reasons no one has yet to fully explain. I still think the Psylos are slick. Let me know how it goes for you.

Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
All M_anitou products SUCK for big dudes. No arguements here please.
F_ox is okay, but lacks key things like ETA ECC unless you fork over $2k for the TALAS.
I LOVED my MxPro. Locks down, 100mm or 130mm of travel. I think it's even offered w/ a 20mm axle if you want.
Let's address this "noodly" issue. No squishy fork will feel as stiff as a rigid. That's the point. Now if we're discussing side flex, okay.... My 03 MxPro had none, my 01 Z1 had plenty.
Get an MxPro and you'll thank me repeatedly, you won't even have to mess with heavy springs since one side is air and you just pump it to your fat content, then ride.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wanted to check out the Psylo, but my shop-rat buddys are a little leary of Rock Shox these days, for reasons no one has yet to fully explain. I still think the Psylos are slick.
I'm 6'4" and about 210 and I've got a 2002 model Psylo SL. It's a great fork, as far as I'm concerned. I had a couple of mods done to it (www.tftunedshox.com) which has made it just about the best fork I've ever owned.

If you want it any beefier, get the Tullio-axled version with the 20mm QR axle. Should be plenty stiff enough.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Padre said:
Let's address this "noodly" issue. No squishy fork will feel as stiff as a rigid. That's the point.
Really? ;)

I think I have that bit figured out, and I'm certainly not expecting it to track like a rigid. I have had suspension forks that I liked in the past, but if you are a bigger person, you will understand what I mean by "noodley", yea? I'm wanting something that is plush, yet goes the direction I point it within an acceptable amount of time.

Thanks for your input.

·
Cyclist
493 Posts
Fox Vanilla RL vote here

Going on two years with xero problems. I'm 6 foot, 220# . It was reccomended to me by folks on this board and I haven't looked back. It is tough, doesn't flex too much and always works. I wanted a coil on my SS to keep in line with my KISS theory for single speeding. My only issue with the fork is the weight. Air forks weigh less.\

Good luck with your decision.

Attachments

·
Is that Bill rated?
440 Posts
32mm Stanchions are the answer

I wouldn't spend to much time looking at forks with 30mm stanchions as you will find they are fairly uninform in their steering precision. I have ridden:
The 2004 Manitou Black Platinum - poor steering and the lowers don't have correct spacing
The 2002 Psylo SL - only tracks well in 80mm mode
The 2001 Z1 freeride - excellent damping, but steered like a Walmart bike
The 2004 Z1 Dropoff - adequate damping performance as long as you don't go huge and excellent steering
The 2004 Sherman Firefly with Hexlock axle - excellent damping and steering that betters most rigid forks I have tried.
You should note that the forks that offered the best steering in that list both have 32mm stanchions. I do not view this as a coincidence. You seem pretty set on 100mm of travel so I think I would try to find a Fox Vanilla R, rather than the RL or RLC, because they generally go fairly cheap.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lord Humongous said:
You seem pretty set on 100mm of travel so I think I would try to find a Fox Vanilla R, rather than the RL or RLC, because they generally go fairly cheap.
I'm not opposed to spending some dough, I'd just prefer not to. :)

The Vanilla is looking good. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Late,

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Air, Coil and ETA works for me

You can't go wrong with the MX Pro ETA, air it up to your preffered stiffness and enjoy. The ETA feature is nice it's like a lock out with the added benefit of still leaving you with a bit (25mm) of travel, nice the first time you do a bumpy decent with it locked. The fork lowers when locked giving an improved climbing posture. I ride one on my SS bike.
I would stay far away from the Rock Sux Psylos, unless you know a good source for an aftermarket spring kit. The extra firm kit is still only good to 180 or maybe 200#. I bought an '03 Psylo XC ( it came on my FS bike) and scrapped it for the Marzocchi Z1 FR SL right away. The Psylo bottomed constantly even with the extra firm kit. A major bummer.....I've owned 2 Rock Sux forks in the last 2 years and sold each for a loss as soon as I figured out they were worthless for a big guy, which took about 1-2 short rides.
I hear good things about Fox but I have no personal experience with them.

·
The Top Cap Guy
952 Posts
Over the last year or so I have had a few suspension forks and I'm a Cyldesdale.....

2003 Marz Z1FR-SL ... Super Stiff - and loved the air adjustability until I forgot to pump it up before a ride and then sold it right away for an all coil fork.

2003 RS Psylo SL - Custom built with HD Spring and 7 weight oil - loved the adjustable travel - but the lock out was not nearly as easy to use as the Marzocchi.

2004 Manitou Black Super 80 SPV - first fork I've had from Mani-Poo - very suprised with it. I was very skeptical about it before I got it - but it just flat works - so no complaints on it.

But keep in mind nothing will track better than a good rigid fork!

Hope this helps some,

FF

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.