Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think is the optimal travel for a 29er hardtail with a sus fork up front? I really like the rigid ride in the technical, rocky singletrack around WV, but can't hang on the creekbed type fireroads we have around here. granted, my right arm has no muscle left due to being immobilized for months, but i was thinking that a 2.5 inch travel fork would be about all i needed with big wheels to maintain better control untill i get my strenth back. anyone with experience with care to enlighten me? thanks.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
This is the 29" forum :)
If any Manitou, he might want to check the semi-offroad capable South fork.
The former WB CX-1 might be ideal for that type of riding, under 3" of travel, and stiff as a rigid. Ebay may hold some of those from time to time.

·
Registered
215 Posts
winwoods are adjustable to 65mm

I'll post a complete overview of this in the next week but here's the scoop.

Windood air forks have an air cartridge that can be easily disassembled. There is a stop spacer in there that can be removed to turn a 85 into a 105 or you can add an additional spacer spacer to make the 85 a 65mm.

I ordered the parts direct from winwood but they are just nylon & rubber spacers. Probably available at the hardware store.

While I'm waiting for the parts to arrive, I've made some spacers to put my fork at appr 65 and like it much better (I've been riding rigid for the last 2 years). Just enough to take off the edge but not too much.

I will also experiment with doubling the bushings to reduce any slope and maybe add longevity.

The 2 people I spoke with at Winwood (QBP) were great. Returned calls fast and were extremely helpful in figuring out how to make this work.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It does!

That was the main reason I looked into it. I really like the way my spot handles with the non corrected Kelly rigid fork. I put the winwood on and lost over 1 deg of head angle. Bike still handled good but not as quick as the rigid. Plus it was just too plush up front for my taste.

So I took the fork apart and started checking things out and figured you could put a stopper in place (similiar to the SID's). I contatced Winwood and talked to a tech guy and he said it should work and sent me out some of the factory spacers they use to set it at 85mm. I expect them tomorrow or Thursday and I'll take some pics, measurements etc and post a write up on it by the end of the week.

Measurements (uncompressed) so far with my own homemade spacers are:

105mm Travel (no spacers) A-C 495mm
85mm Travel (1 spacer) A-C 480 (factory setting)
65mm Travel (2 spacers) A-C appr 465

In 65mm with sag the fork should be within 1cm of a non corrected 29er rigid fork. I'm going to play around with the spacers to get the fork just were I want it.

Also found out that the OEM oil is 2.5w and you can experiment up to 10w to play with compression rebound.

I don't have any info on the coil version.

This is going to be an awesome sub $300 fork once everything is dialed in. It's never going to be as plush or stiff as the WB. But for rigid riders wanted a good inexpensive adjustable fork it is nice. Replacement parts are available through any LBS that deals with QBP.

I'll keep the board posted.

·
rider
808 Posts
Rockdogger said:
Measurements (uncompressed) so far with my own homemade spacers are:

105mm Travel (no spacers) A-C 495mm
85mm Travel (1 spacer) A-C 480 (factory setting)
65mm Travel (2 spacers) A-C appr 465
Rockdogger - have you tried this fork in the 105mm mode? How'd you make out with your 65mm mods?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Winwood

I have had a chance to ride the fork in a few different configs 60-105. I will post when I get back from the SM100 with conversion pics and review. Overall I'm very pleased with the fork. Not super stiff but stiffer than most suspension forks I've ridden (been riding rigid for the last 1.5 yrs).

Conversion takes less than 5 minutes and is super easy.

The 105 mode is just way too much travel for me but works well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.