Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new mtn biker. I own a Montague Paratrooper with a Suntour fork. When I climb a hill or when I stand up in general to pedal the front suspension bounces up and down and I almost lose it. I'm 6'2" and weigh 265 lbs. I've never ridden a bike with front suspension. I've read on the forum I might need a fixed fork. Should I tighten the suspension and make it as stiff as possible? Fixed fork? Something else?

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,136 Posts
You can use a ridged fork,
Or...
Your fork is an inexpensive simple design with one spring meant for a weight range. Suntour doesn't have a spring for your weight.
They do have an air fork upgrade that would work better, although your weight will have some effect on its performance.
The Raidon has a sealed oil filled damper cartridge with adjustable rebound in one leg. An air chamber in the other leg is pumped up with a high pressure shock pump to set the sag for your weight. Nick at Suntour can send you one. Call him to discuss details. If possible get one with an aluminum steerer.
http://forums.mtbr.com/beginners-corner/if-you-want-upgrade-your-suntour-fork-830657-30.html
Go to REI and test ride a Raidon equipped Novara Ponderosa to see how it works. They will set it up for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm looking into the above. Next time i am in indy i will swing by REI and test it out. One thing I learned tonight while riding was it is better if I'm in a higher gear. I also tightened the suspension and these two things made a little improvement until I can upgrade. Thanks again.

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.