Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seeking input regarding a suspension fork. I have been riding a SS unit with rigid forks for 3 years. I looking for a 80 mm travel fork that has good lateral and torsional stiffness and good durability(low maintanance). I of course would like to keep weight down but not at the cost of longevity or performance.

I am sure that this has been covered many times however the search feature has not yeilded anything that clarifies it to me. From the review section all of the forks appear to be good. I know that the reba is well regarded but I have seen some complaints also.

Have been riding for 25 years with most of my miles on rigid bikes. Have used in chronological order a scott shock, Mountain cycle shock, Hanebrink XC fork, Action-Tec and a head shock. In rigid I have used the Yeti forks, Pace forks and am using a vicious cycles fork currently. I have almost always returned to a non suspended fork in the end. I ride mostly at a quick pace for an hour of two. No epic rides or Supersized downhill rides.

I am having more back and hand pain.

I don't have time or patience for constant repairs. I can take care of my bike but resent having to do it too often.
Please advise me regarding possible choices and things to avoid.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The Tora has the virtues that you are seeking.
It is compatible with the Pop Lock handlebar mounted remote lockout, something you might appreciate coming from rigid forks.
A o-ring kit costs $12 and you can do it yourself.
You can run it at 80 or 100mm travel.
It is usually $100-200 cheaper than a Reba and weighs about a pound more.
There is only one air filler on the Tora that fills both the negative and positive air chambers which makes it easier to set up and maintain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forks

Thanks for the input, should I be overly concerned with the offset changes from last year to this year. Any other significent differences between 2008 and 2009 model year. Website was a bit ambiguous.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.