Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bird watcher
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you all think of this? I dont know too much about suspension forks. I put a manitou 2 on my p23 back in the day and it made it ride like poo.Is this just the way it will be? I have a mag 21 sl, a 98 sid sl, and a manitou 2&3 at my disposal. The frames that I am asking in reference to are a p23 and a pre front deraileur roller,1.25 headed, ovaled toptubed yeti fro. Actually the manitous are the only ones I have with a 1.25 crown. Any and all opinions are welcome. Educate me.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Why take a P-23, that is one of the best handleing rigid bikes ever made and mess it up with a suspension fork?? :nono: If you had one of the later Ritchey's that was designed for a suspension fork I'd say go for it. As far the Yeti, go ahead and put the Manitou on it, the frame will probably crack shortly anyways :eekster: ;)

·
Bird watcher
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with your comments on the p23, and the yeti to some extent. I have 2 of the ritcheys and was just wondering as I've never riden suspension forks too much.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
As long as the frame is designed for forks its not a problem. Forks will reduce the rack and slow the sterring, it may also cause the front end to push. It's usually a trade off but like you said, it made your P-23 handle like poo

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,921 Posts
It probably wasn't helped by Ritchey forks being rather short. Normally the 15.9" length of a M1/M2 isn't enough to upset a frame, but ritchey forks are only 15" long...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Try a Softride stem

Try giving a Softride a try. You can pick them up for pretty cheap, they are light, they won't throw off the handling, and they work pretty damn good.
Happy Trails
Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
696 Posts
Rob M. said:
Try giving a Softride a try. You can pick them up for pretty cheap, they are light, they won't throw off the handling, and they work pretty damn good.
Happy Trails
Rob
Yeah, I agree. I'm running a NOS Girvin GlexStem on my 1993 Trek 930. It works great, but will be coming off soon though, as I'm making that bike into a slick tired neighborhood ride. I might sell of trade it if you've got something useful to me. It fits the 1-1/8" threaded headset, is pretty long (120mm?). Actually, here it is:

Attachments

·
Bird watcher
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I was never a fan of those stem. But thanks. I guess i may never know the joys of having a suspended ritchey, in my size that is. My arms and legs will have to do for high end suspension.

·
Registered
696 Posts
ckevlar said:
Yeah, I was never a fan of those stem. But thanks. I guess i may never know the joys of having a suspended ritchey, in my size that is. My arms and legs will have to do for high end suspension.
Yeah, I understand what you mean. I liked mine for a while, but it creaks like a son-of-a-b!tch when standing and mashing while really wrenching on the bars. Greasing it helps a little.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you have never tried a Softride, give it a try. I think you would be very surprised. I am not trying to get into a my stem is better than yours debate but I think the softride feels a little better because the bars don't rotate, and I think it more active also. And if you lube the pivots it won't creak.
Rob

·
Registered
696 Posts
Rob M. said:
If you have never tried a Softride, give it a try. I think you would be very surprised. I am not trying to get into a my stem is better than yours debate but I think the softride feels a little better because the bars don't rotate, and I think it more active also. And if you lube the pivots it won't creak.
Rob
That's most of the problem with the Girvin stem. Plus, I can't yank up on the bars for clearing obstacles without it feeling like the bars are moving without the bike foloowing it. Kinda hard to explain. I'm going back to rigid before the weekend.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,650 Posts
A 63mm 98 SID won't mess with anything too much. Mine rode great with this set up....but I like the way they ride as a full rigid much better. Same goes for the Yetis too...

'Vintage' suspension just doesn't work as well as the new stuff....so IMHO, either go full rigid, or modern (late 90's and up) suspension.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts