Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully the mods will have a heart and allow this thread to stay in General Discussion where more will see it and it won't die a slow painful death.

I was paying my cable bill and this one came to mind. :lol:

One of the worst, the Sligshot from the early 1990's. A cable as a down tube and a pivot allowed some movement. Talk about flex. :eekster:

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel

Yellow Bicycle accessory Material property Bicycle part Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Yellow Tool accessory Tool Steel Nut

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol
And now, thanks to you, I’ll be humming it for a few days.:madman:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Hopefully the mods will have a heart and allow this thread to stay in General Discussion where more will see it and it won't die a slow painful death.

I was paying my cable bill and this one came to mind. :lol:

One of the worst, the Sligshot from the early 1990's. A cable as a down tube and a pivot allowed some movement. Talk about flex
What was the one with the michelin man stack of elastomer donuts?
Friend had an ibis bowtie that immediately ejected him.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
How odd and funny looking the Slingshot is/ was, it rode really well for its time. I raced one for the summer back in the early 90's( gave my Merlin a rest)
I was impressed with the small amount of suspension it had and really never noticed much of any BB flex.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
I know there are a few guys riding the soft tail, I remember really wanting one a long time ago, probably best I never got one.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle fork

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Cannondale's HeadShok was a PHENOMENAL fork for control and sensitivity.
Nothing of the time came even close. Even today, I think the HeadShok was superior in handling and small bump compliance.
But, it was ridiculously weak, and had zero damping characteristics.

The Super V original was a great working bike I always thought. The suspension design did have bob, but it climbed like a raped ape. During hard pedaling, the suspension extension locked the rear to the ground, and of course would steepen the front end. It's biggest drawbacks were the pedal kickback (which was tough sometimes) and the chain tension bobbing, but I always thought it worked pretty darn well.

·
No known cure
5,749 Posts
Oddly lost in time. The 1998 Rocky Mountain DH Race. Their DH frame set up for trail riding. Featured in the first Kranked vid but mysteriously absent from a single magazine review, even in Europe. It sported 140mm of rear travel and a 68*HA. Several us on MTBR agonized over a rear disc mount before moving back to US made steep six inch bikes.

Attachments

·
Nothing seems to kill me
742 Posts
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel
Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

The progression of the fully Proflex. I had a few of these back in the day.

·
slow
7,747 Posts
The first full suspension bikes I remember seeing when I was working in shops in the late 80s and early 90s were the Kestrel Nitro in 1988 and the Boulder Gazelle in 1991 (who could forget the advertisement with the brunette on the red and white Gazelle with the blue sky as a background). Those were pretty revolutionary and cool designs way back then, especially the carbon fiber Kestrel.

The Trek Y/ GF Joshua and the Klein Mantra both come to mind on the ugly side.
Agreed, though I find almost all suspension designs ugly.

I know there are a few guys riding the soft tail, I remember really wanting one a long time ago, probably best I never got one.
Yep, still riding mine. This 100+ year old design keeps on working.
Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,178 Posts
I bought this bike - a Scott Ransom LTD - in 2007, and rode it for 7 years. I still have it. I loved that bike. At the time, it was revolutionary. One of the first carbon frame mountain bikes made.

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle fork
White Style Line Bicycle frame Black
Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part
Bicycle frame Bicycle part Line Bicycle accessory Black

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Mode of transport

1 - 20 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.