Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to my kids I've run out of space at the house. No more room to store the bikes inside so they'll be moving out to the shed. Anything to worry about storing the bikes in a shed with no heat or a/c?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, John, how's it going?

While I am worried about theft I'm also wondering how the fork and shock will react to the heat over long periods of time.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You and Donna riding anywhere this weekend, John? Clint and I going to Mt. Zion on Saturday morning......

·
No Clue Crew
4,108 Posts
I've no scientific data to support this but I suppose LOTS of heat like we get here in AZ can't possibly be good for tires & tubes, etc... . I just replaced an old Velociraptor that appeared to be starting to dry rot and it's always in the garage. With that said, I haven't ridden the bike much in the last 4 or 5 years so it stands to reason it would dry rot.

Since I've gotten back into it in the last couple months I plan on actually WEARING out tires each year so that issue is moot. That's the plan anyway...

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Ive been keeping bikes in a metal shed for years. No problem. Well, I had one problem, never keep chemicals in the same shed. I had paint have a chemical reaction with some cleaning solution and ruined 4 bikes :(. For security, I am building a wood rack to park the bikes, that also allows me to chain the frames. Bing

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
bad mechanic said:
Details!!!
I can't be certain, but this is what I know. I finished painting our iron gate and put the supplies away. Well, the box had a half full gallon of paint, same amount of primer, a can of graffiti remover, and a container of thinner. I SUSPECT my wife topped it off with a leaky container of chlorine bleach, which I SUSPECT rusted the bottom of the containers, which I SUSPECT caused the stuff to mix which I SUSPECT created caustic fumes. The shed reeked of fumes when I found out what had happened. All unpainted surfaces, including chromed parts were rusted. Some of the spokes actually rusted THROUGH. Only the seats, tires and the painted frames were salvageable. I fixed my sons bike.

It took me 2 years to buy my family another set of new bikes :(

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bing! said:
Well, I had one problem, never keep chemicals in the same shed. I had paint have a chemical reaction with some cleaning solution and ruined 4 bikes
Yeah, I already thought of that. Going to be mindful with what we keep in there. Gonna have a gas can and mower in there....but not much else.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Zoke2 said:
I'm up for that, what time are you heading up there ... are you doing that 40 mile training ride for the Tour for Cure Sunday?
Gonna leave his place in Mandeville around 7:00.

Not planning on the 40 miler....want to...just can't ditch the wife/kids 2 days in a row.

Shoot me a line so I'll have your email......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts