Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pressing the new bearings in to the top tube when they both went in crooked and have no scarred the inside of the bearing seat. I'm planning on taking a dremel on low speed to smooth out the bearing seats in the top tube. Is this a good idea or is there a better way to go about this?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Whatever method you use, only take out the high spots or burrs--anything that gets in the way of the bearing being pressed in. Nothing you can do about the gouges or low spots other than maybe a bearing retainer compound.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Have the head tube reamed and faced by your lbs and then use a small amount of loctite bearing lock,If its really bad invest in a deep headset and fit that after you have checked the maximum depth of headset you can use.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not installing headset bearings but that's good to know if I ever press a headset in wrong. I'll try to snap some before and after pics. Unless I botch the frame up really bad hahaha.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
I think half the posters here think this is a suspension bearing and you're using the wrong terminology for its location (which you likely are), or the other half thinks you're talking about your headset, in which case, all the advice here is null and void and from the fact that it's being done improperly, I'd recommend you go to a bike shop, have them do it before you ruin your frame due to inexperience.

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,807 Posts
my experience with bolluckin' up brearings and bores usually happens when using the wrong tools to press them. Remove the bearing then measure the bore. I would not do anything to the bore until you know the measurements and condition of the bore because once it's oversize then you have another set of problems. It's also common to use a loctite as a gap filler for situation like this. Post some pics

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Ok i thought you meant headset.I use an arbour press at the engineering company i work at.I have also just brought a small arbour press for home use.I didnt have much luck using anything other than a vice and sockets as press tools.

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,807 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
A local bike shop.
Even bike shops are ill-equiped.......can't tell you how many bike shops I visited in the NorCal area offering my DU Bushing Tool.....only to find out they use a socket. If I took my bike to a shop to be worked on and say the wrench using something like this on my equipment I'd go ballistic.

When pressing in bearings/bushings the force should be applied equally and uniformed to the outer edge of the bearing. The mating surfaces should be throroughly cleaned and deburred to avoid galling, peening or damaging bore or bearing. I use an arbor press along with some special tools I've made over the years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.