Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in hearing about how much travel people use. If you're going to contribute, then try to be specific as to maintain accuracy.

Front:
*list which fork you have, it's advertised travel and how much you are really using
*if you've modified it, then let us know what you've done (from manufacturer or aftermarket)
*define how you check (o-ring or zip-tie on stanctions, or something else?)

Rear:
*list whick shock you have and your frame
*if you've modified it, then let us know what you've done (from manufacturer or aftermarket)
*define how you check (o-ring or zip-tie on shock tube, measured at wheel <~ preferred)

I'm curious to see how many people have taken the time to check and see if they have what they were told by the OEM. Also, if some were disappointed with what they found. Spend a few minutes with a tape measure, please. You might just be surprised...... or not.

I just found i've got 2.25" (76 mm) up front as an absolute max (mechanically limited) and 4.25" (108 mm) out back - and there's room for more (at least in the back). I figure i'm using about 3" of the rear's travel on average and probably 2" of the front. I'm a fast, reasonably smooth, technical rider that favours single-track, but don't shy away from much. Well, as long as it's not higher than a 3' drop. :eek:

I'm not interested in making this an "I have more than you have", one-up-man-ship thread. I simply want to have some comparisons.

Anyone care to share?

PATIA!

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
marz am1 on a yeti 575 with a 5th element...
i get full travel on the 5th lots (have had lots of time to set it up)
i have 3 rides so far on the am1 and am still tweaking it, but typically use about 5 inches of the six inches of travel and once about 5 1/2 on a jump...

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
got 3 for you

AndrewTO said:
I'm interested in hearing about how much travel people use. If you're going to contribute, then try to be specific as to maintain accuracy.

Front:
*list which fork you have, it's advertised travel and how much you are really using

Rear:
*define how you check (o-ring or zip-tie on shock tube, measured at wheel <~ preferred)

I'm curious to see how many people have taken the time to check and see if they have what they were told by the OEM. Also, if some were disappointed with what they found. Spend a few minutes with a tape measure, please. You might just be surprised...... or not.

I just found i've got 2.25" (76 mm) up front as an absolute max (mechanically limited) and 4.25" (108 mm) out back - and there's room for more (at least in the back). I figure i'm using about 3" of the rear's travel on average and probably 2" of the front. I'm a fast, reasonably smooth, technical rider that favours single-track, but don't shy away from much. Well, as long as it's not higher than a 3' drop. :eek:

I'm not interested in making this an "I have more than you have", one-up-man-ship thread. I simply want to have some comparisons.

Anyone care to share?

PATIA!
I set my fronts just a bit on the softer side so here goes:

First

03 Jamis Dakar XLT with a White brothers VT 1.3

Front: I actually get 135mm travel - measured by the dirt ring on my stanchion
Rear: Fox propedal R use just under 2 inches of full shock stroke per o ring - the rear triangle hits the seat post and with the shock depressurized, I get about 4.5 inches of travel instead of the full 5 inches advertised.

second

GT Idrive 5 with a 03 Z1 FR 130mm

Front: 130 mm again - dirt ring on mystanchion
Rear: Fox propedal R with it deflated measures out a true 5 inches of travel. The o ring on the shock says it cycles the full 2 inches of stroke

Third

03 Giant AC1 fox vanilla R propedal with a Z150 SL

Front: 150mm - dirt ring
Rear: set up for 7 inches of travel but hard to say in reality as it's a coil shock how much I use. I've felt like I've bottomed it on a few nice size drops though.

REEK

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Turner 5 Spot. RP3 in the back, use ~4.5" on regular rides, all 5" when I hit some drops. 04 Z1 FR (130mm) use ~110mm on regular rides, all 130mm when I hit some drops, haven't gotten the bravado to hit anything above 3 feet.

Hardtail with 100RLT, so far I hit 95mm. It is set a bit firm, since this is my racing rig and after riding a 5"x5" bike, it feels unsafe to be doing jumps on that bike.

_MK

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
OK a few things then I'll list my stuff.............
AndrewTO said:

Front:

Rear:

I'm curious to see how many people have taken the time to check and see if they have what they were told by the OEM. Also, if some were disappointed with what they found. Spend a few minutes with a tape measure, please. You might just be surprised...... or not.PATIA!
Since you seem a stickler for US to give all these figures why didn;t you, guess you figured we're all phycics - where's the info for your ride???

AndrewTO said:
I just found i've got 2.25" (76 mm) up front as an absolute max (mechanically limited) and 4.25" (108 mm) out back

PATIA!
Not sure what you're using to do your measurements or if you're measuring in say MM and converting or vice versa, BUT if you check your math you'll see your fron travel is wrong. 2.25"= 57.5mm ..........76mm=2.99" . In case you didn't know 1"= 25.4mm.

Now unto the survey............
I'm riding a Trance3, running a RS REBA SL fork and a FOX FloatR(PP) shock. I use about 3.5" of travel (up front) on an average ride and maybe 3.75+" if there's jumps drops -use the plastic indicator that came with my original DUKE XC.
On the rear I use up about 36-38mm of the travel on the FloatR - I have had the o-ring come to within 1-2mm of coming off the shock -shock has about 42-44mm of travel (very hard to get into the new Maestro design to measure properly).

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
"How much travel do you use?"

All I have available to me, including ~12" from my arms and legs and however much the tires compress.

XFly 100: I get 95-100 mm
66VF: I push the zip tie all the way up
'05 Coiler DL w/Fox DHX 4.0: ? it has a coil spring.

·
Registered
421 Posts
AndrewTO said:

Front:

Rear:

Anyone care to share?

PATIA!
Fork:

oem Marzocchi EXR Pro Coil (120mm, or 4.74"). Changed oil to 7/10wt mix. Stock springs.
I use 7" (kidding, I need a new fork) actually 4.75"
zip tie

Rear Shock:

2" (reported) Fox Vanilla R, (which I'm very happy with)
Replaced 600# coil with 700# on '04 Haro X2. (reported 6" travel)
I think I get a little less than 2" because of the bottom out bumper.
I slide the bumper back. I havn't measure at the wheel, I'd have to take the spring off and check it that way.

·
inner peace to make peace
2,305 Posts
front 75 out of 130mm

front: 5.7#, advertised as 5"/130mm travel 'Zoke Z1...actually exposed stanchon is about 105mm ...use about 75mm, based on dust rings. have sent the Z1 fork to the 'Zoke factory to increase the exposed stancheon to full 130mm.

meanwhile, i'm looking ofr a xc air sprung fork that weighs 3#s and has 100mm travel.

rear: none, don't need 'em unless I'm riding around Downieville, where i wish i had five or six.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
my fork travel

I have specialized stumpjumper 2003 modified with Deore discbrake system and shimano 765 wheel set. I have raceface carbon riser bar, Thompson seatpost and stem.

Front fork: Fox TALAS RLC 120mm . I adjusted it for 3inches of travel. I am cautious rider. I have fully exploited full limit of this fork yet.

Rear shock: Fox Vanilla RL. I set travel to 2inches at back. I don't know the maximum of travel.

I ride the bike mostly on XC trails. I am not skilled enough to do jumps or downhill.

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
Pace RC36 Proclass 2

I got 80mm...but discovered recently that it was configure for 100mm (not 80mm like I though) but the spring that gave rthe 20mm was broken (must have been like this since owning the fork as i never got over 80mm. I figured the slack between top out and main springs was just design lol.

I have changed the spring and just measured the o-ring...80mm funnily enough....but it wasn't that lumpy on the first fixed ride yesterday.

Will see how much I get tomorrow on the way to work on it.

Stu

·
Registered
215 Posts
Specialized Enduro Pro 2004

Front: Fox Vanilla 125RL, using all 125 mm's and using the green spring (blue is standard). I have a ziptie around my stanchion.

Rear: Fox Float RL Itch Switch, no propedal. I deflated the shock to see how much travel it had (travel o-ring) and I'm using all that travel. I don't know if I'm using 132mm's of frame travel as advertised.

On previous bikes I got 110mm out of a 105mm MX Comp Air and 106mm out of a 100 Z5 Air.

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
Marz Marathon S up front - 120mm of travel, getting about 110 via dust ring measurement. My shop is working the first oil change in right now, so that may change when it comes back.

Vanilla R out back, 100mm. Getting most of it, though I don't bottom it out ever. I have put on a Float R with the rubber O-ring and found that my bike will get the full claimed travel, but it's hard to tell on a coil shock

Frame is an Ellsworth Isis.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Specialized Big Hit Comp '01.

Front:
*'01 Monster T with advertised 170mm, set up not to use more than 167 for worst case scenarios (doesn't happen).
*Bone stock
*Dust rings

Rear:
*Avalanche DHS 8.75x2.75 giving 8" of travel with BigLink form Specialized.
*kustom valved
*Buttom out maybe once a month, but I'm trying to be smooth. Never measured actual travel, but it's under 8".

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LyNx - HAHAHA! You're absolutely right. I was in a rush yesterday when I was typing that and wan't paying enough attention to exactly what I was typing. My bad - completely. Apologies. I also forgot to mention what I ride, as you also pointed out. I'm on an oooooold '98 K2 3000 with a Noleen Elite CrossLink fork up front. (stop laughing) Bought it years ago, couldn't ride it and now i'm getting back into the swing of things. Too cheap (read: broke) to get a new ride and I don't think I need to.

It's funny to look back at when people were happy to have 3". :p I also wanted to get an idea of how many people out there REALLY use all they have - or if it's just a case where they bought more to "grow into", or "be safe", or whatever.

Thanks to all who have replied so far. Appreciated muchly. Keep 'em coming if you like. I'm actually surprised that so many have responded.

Apologies again on my errors. I'll fix them right now (I hate making mistakes like that!).

EDIT - stupid edit button is gone! Dammit!!!!!! :mad: Stupid timers!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a Marz MXcompw/ETA on a Devinci Guzzler with 5 weight oil. I get about 100 of the 120mm of travel. Ive never bottomed out. the rear has a TALAS and Ive never bottomed it either. I usually use about 1/2 on the 1/4 setting and about the same on the 1/2 setting. Ive used 3/4 at the most on the extended setting and that was kicking down some steps and hitting a huge log at the bottom. Im 200 pounds w/gear and keep the MX @ 35psi and the TALAS @ 195psi. I rarely get more than 2' of air unless its a dropoff on a downhill. I ride aggressive XC. I use the o rings that came on them and have them set @ 10% sag. I guess I could bottom out if I set the sag more. the bike came with more than I need but the ETA makes it a good climber. I cant tell a difference between 1/4 and1/2 on the TALAS but the full setting raises the bike about 25.4mm at the pivot point.changes the whole geometry and is weird feeling if I click in on the hill and not before

·
Registered
510 Posts
Single Speed
Front:
*'02 Sid SL
*Added spacer to bring it to 50mm travel
*Dirt marks on the legs tell me the travel :)

Rear:
*None - Hardtail

'02 FSR S-Works M5
Front:
*'04 SID Team
*Stock 80mm, getting 76mm
*o-ring

Rear:
*Push Tuned Fox RL air shock 90mm rocker
*Push revalved it spring '05
*Don't know how to measure it, but the o-ring says I'm using full travel

Shane

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
*Bike1: 4.75" on the back ('04 swinger 4way) and 5" on the front (an old vanilla -a few years old?). Most of the time I can tell by the dirt lines after a ride. I've felt the "CLUNK" front and back so I know when I got full travel.

Bike2: Just under 6" on the back ('05 5th coil), judging by the dirt line. And just under 6" on the front ('05 zoke 66). I haven't got to the point of bottoming out bike #2 yet.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
1) Hardtail w/ Manitou Black Comp (all coil) @ "100mm": I regularly show 3" of travel, and have bottomed it occasionally.

2) Fisher Cake, 5x5: Rear-- Manitou Swinger Air 3-way, I get full travel, pushing the o-ring guage to the edge of the slider. Front: Manitou Minute 2:00, heavy spring, I get 3.5" regularly, have gotten up to 4.5" on large hits and have never bottomed it out.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Santa Cruz SL. Float 100mm front and Float 100mm rear. Geting about 85mm up front (and have it set very plush.... about 60 psi for 170 rider weight) and about 95mm rear (also plush set up....110 psi for 170 rider weight)
The rear shock feels good but the fork.... it's imposible to get all the travel with the correct sag and neither with more sag :-(

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.