Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1839 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the new Troll is looking pretty nice. I guess it's a 26" and appears to have braze-ons and attachment points for racks front and back. Sweet. I'll be curious to see what the geometry is. Sure would be nice if it could sport a Woodchipper h-bar. For so long I've been threatening to sell my CC frame and replace it with an LHT but now...

I wonder if it'll be frame only or available as a complete.

If people have more photos or info, post it here.

--Leaf S.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Waiting to see photos . It seems that running a Niner carbon fork or other aftermarket forks on the Troll wouldnt alter the geometry much. A minor plus point I consider .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
875 Posts
dfltroll said:
So the new Troll is looking pretty nice. I guess it's a 26" and appears to have braze-ons and attachment points for racks front and back. Sweet. I'll be curious to see what the geometry is. Sure would be nice if it could sport a Woodchipper h-bar. For so long I've been threatening to sell my CC frame and replace it with an LHT but now...

I wonder if it'll be frame only or available as a complete.

If people have more photos or info, post it here.

--Leaf S.
Have you seen the blog on the Surly webpage? http://www.surlybikes.com/blog/ Geo is the same as the 1x1 (which is a great thing). Looks like its just a frameset for now, but they are contemplating a complete in the future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's always something with Surly

bolandjd said:
Have you seen the blog on the Surly webpage? http://www.surlybikes.com/blog/ Geo is the same as the 1x1 (which is a great thing). Looks like its just a frameset for now, but they are contemplating a complete in the future.
Every year at this time of year I'm contemplating something with Surly. I get caught up in the hype of new stuff. Their products are solid and very affordable. Same with Salsa. I have a couple of bikes but nothing for heavy duty touring. Not that I plan on riding to Tierra Del Fuego or anything in the near future but I'd just like to have a sturdier bike for bike-camping. I'm heading out for a couple of days in Gifford Pinchot NF for a few days and am kind of kicking myself for not being more proactive with replacing my CC with an LHT...

Salsa has some nice offerings also which further complicate my bike lust.

--leaf
 

·
Down South Yooper
Joined
·
1,010 Posts
XJaredX said:
Is there a Salsa Woodchipper H-bar now? I thought it was just the dirt drop style.
I'm pretty sure he was just abbreviating 'handlebar', not inferring a new shape to the 'chipper.

Plum
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,144 Posts
dfltroll said:
Every year at this time of year I'm contemplating something with Surly. I get caught up in the hype of new stuff. Their products are solid and very affordable. Same with Salsa. I have a couple of bikes but nothing for heavy duty touring. Not that I plan on riding to Tierra Del Fuego or anything in the near future but I'd just like to have a sturdier bike for bike-camping. I'm heading out for a couple of days in Gifford Pinchot NF for a few days and am kind of kicking myself for not being more proactive with replacing my CC with an LHT...

Salsa has some nice offerings also which further complicate my bike lust.

--leaf
Don't kick yourself - the Crosscheck is 90% as good a touring bike as the LHT and is more fun to ride than an LHT when not loaded down with gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
699 Posts
Thor29 said:
Don't kick yourself - the Crosscheck is 90% as good a touring bike as the LHT and is more fun to ride than an LHT when not loaded down with gear.
For a two day trip, the crosscheck would be just as capable a steed as the LHT. If you're gonna be gone for months at a time, then maybe the LHT would be a better choice. That said, I've owned an LHT and it's a really nice ride, but it's best for road touring and as a reasonable commuter. Having ridden it offroad, I would say that it's definitely not the strongest choice for anything not paved.
 

·
Bicyclist
Joined
·
2,849 Posts
Looks like fun

Troll

The idea behind this sucker is a commuter, tractor, off-roader, tourer, dethmachine.

Features:

1x1 geometry with 100mm suspension-corrected fork

Multi-use dropout – horizontal rear track-end type with der hanger, fender/rack eyelets, AND trailer specific mounts that will work with Surly trailer nuts (10x1mm thread)

Disc on chainstay for rack and fender friendlieness

Rohloff compliant

Frameset MSRP: $495 Complete bike? Maybe.

ETA: November



https://surlybikes.com/blog/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,943 Posts
That's such a nice looking bike. Plus it's not black or gray. I especially like the blue CC.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,358 Posts
aljee said:
this would be one of the better post-apocalypse bikes out there. of course, it would depend on the type of apocalypse.
Ya for zombie apocalypse clearly the Big Dummy with a front mounted flame thrower and a passenger sporting twin chainsaws is the way to go.

For a nuclear winter apocalypse I'd go with a Pugsley for floatation over the fall out.

I think the Troll + trailer would be my killer virus hide in the woods till it's over apocalypse bike.
:cool: :thumbsup: ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
ha ha HA

dummy would be a good choice, don't get me wrong. the 26in wheels are the most important aspect, if you are thinking long term. the horizon will be littered with shite magnas. ripe for the scavenge. the only thing that would take away from the dummy would be the long cables, though that could be easily solved with a diy coupler.
as for the weapons choice....i think flame would be less effective...chainsaws would be heavy, but potentially effective, though they need fuel. the dummy has a good advantage with different brake choices as well.

i have considered the nuclear winter aspect as well. though the pugsley would be ideal, i would have to also consider availability of tires, etc.

i agree on troll + trailer, as long as the trailer could take 26in, or be made to take them. full racks would be good too. i like that it could be very maneuverable if you ditched the trailer, if need be.

frankly, i think the best bet would be to proactively build a rohloff chupacabra. keep it under wraps. keep a couple spare endos or larrys. but make the bb height somewhere between 26/29in average. there could be a lot of built-in flexibility. like derailleur hanger, etc.
 

·
Glorified Hybrid Owner
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
Anyone know what bars are on that mocked up Troll?

As a sidenote:

I wish Surly would stop putting brake posts on their frames...a disc-only CC would be awesome. And the 1x1 (and now the Troll) would look a lot cleaner when running 650b and 700c wheels and discs.
 

·
-_-
Joined
·
4,748 Posts
aljee said:
this would be one of the better post-apocalypse bikes out there. of course, it would depend on the type of apocalypse.

That's why it has the trailer attachment points.

Buy the trailer too?

Partially to stow your provisions, but more so to mount your defenses..


ROFL..maybe I should post that in the Surly Marketing Thread, they could say..

Our New Surly Trailer is: "100% Anti-Zombie Related" in both functionality as well as durability! Additionally it's guaranteed to Haul 4 Kegs for the party after the end of the world.

:D
 
1 - 20 of 1839 Posts
Top