Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple questions about the instructions that come with the Surly SS Spacer Kit that maybe someone can clear up? I have determined the chainline on my Karate Monkey (running a 34t RaceFace Evolve X type SS crankset with one spacer on the drive side) to be 43mm approximately.

So, I am trying to match up my measurements with the chart provided to determine the correct spacer/cog (Surly 18t) position on my freewheel (Hope Pro II).

The headings on this chart say: Zero Spacers inboard, One spacer inboard, Two spacers inboard, etc... but I am unclear on what this means? Referring to the spacers on the inboard side of your crankset or something else? So I am not sure what heading to look under.

The other question is the spacer and cog positions are described in terms of position one, two, three, etc. but there is no illustration. Does position one start near the "dropouts" and move in towards the hub or the opposite?

Sorry if this a a dumb question and I suppose I could just eyeball it and be fine. But now I am hellbent on understanding these instructions.

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - that makes sense but my chainline measurement falls under different categories. I guess that means I can use different spacer positions to achieve the same results? I never said I was the sharpest tool in the shed when it came to this stuff ;) That chart is not in front of me right now. Maybe it will make more sense to me when I take a second look.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Don't worry about spacer x or y or whatever just use a tape to check by trial and error.

Chainline is easy to measure precisely.

Measure from the centre of the BB shell or seat tube to the centre of the chainring teeth. (say 50mm)

Rear hub width (MTB) is 135mm, 1/2 this = 67.5mm.

Subtract first measurement from second 67.5 - 50 = 17.5.

Now the rear cog centre should measure in 17.5mm from the RH drop-out inner face. Just try different spacers until this is achieved.

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks - that seems easy enough. I measured the distance from the center of my BB shell to the chainring (SS crankset) and came up with approximately 43 mm. I am going to measure it once more.

So that number minus half of the rear hub width (67.5) gives me 24.5mm from the drop-out, or track end in my case. I'll give it a try tonight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.