Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in getting a 1X1 but I'm having a little trouble deciding on which size. I am 5'7" tall with a 30" inseam. I see that they have 16" & 18" frames. Any suggestions?

·
the cool nerd
8,643 Posts
i'm 5'10" (ish) 31/32 inseam and ride the 18.

about surly sizing..30 days of only surly will definitely change your life, but unlike supersizing, it will change your life for the better...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whoa!

gatman said:
I guess don't listen to me, I am ridiculous.
Who said that you were ridiculus? I wasn't trying to contradict you in any way. We had been using the 16", 18"....etc to discuss frame size when you recommended a "medium". I just looked it up so that I would know that medium = 18". You recommended a medium a.k.a. 18" frame based on your experience. Thanks for your input (I mean that sincerely). Does she like a more stretched out position or does she sit up more when riding?

·
Registered
578 Posts
porkchop said:
Who said that you were ridiculus? I wasn't trying to contradict you in any way. We had been using the 16", 18"....etc to discuss frame size when you recommended a "medium". I just looked it up so that I would know that medium = 18". You recommended a medium a.k.a. 18" frame based on your experience. Thanks for your input (I mean that sincerely). Does she like a more stretched out position or does she sit up more when riding?
Sorry Porkchop, my resonse was more from what Padre said. I am 5'8 and use a small aka 16" frame. I did not recommend a medium or 18", I said I could probably ride one, but I have alway's rode 16/17/small frames.

I am not offended just being my usual smart ass

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
woops - nevermind what I was going to post here. I think the woman I was thinking of must be on your wife's team but not your wife.

Unless your wife's name is Leslie and she'll now be riding a Niner at Sea Otter

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
gatman said:
Sorry Porkchop, my resonse was more from what Padre said. I am 5'8 and use a small aka 16" frame. I did not recommend a medium or 18", I said I could probably ride one, but I have alway's rode 16/17/small frames.

I am not offended just being my usual smart ass
I think "could" is the appropriate word.
From the looks of things..
your saddle is slammed ALL the way back...
you are running a high rise stem and riser bars....
it seems to me...in my experience, that you could "solve" those 3 issues by simply going to the next frame size...
then you wouldn't have so much weight over the rear axle...and wouldn't have to build an erector set to get your bar height correct.
as a big guy...i would relish the opportunity to be able to go bigger on a frame size..and not have to do what you've done....
no offense intended...

·
Registered
578 Posts
Padre said:
I think "could" is the appropriate word.
From the looks of things..
your saddle is slammed ALL the way back...
you are running a high rise stem and riser bars....
it seems to me...in my experience, that you could "solve" those 3 issues by simply going to the next frame size...
then you wouldn't have so much weight over the rear axle...and wouldn't have to build an erector set to get your bar height correct.
as a big guy...i would relish the opportunity to be able to go bigger on a frame size..and not have to do what you've done....
no offense intended...
The stem was a stock stem that I have had here for awhile, not to get my bars up. There is riser bars on the bike because ss'rs say that more leverage is better and riser bars can give you more leverage. I said that I probably could ride an 18" frame. I have only rode 16/17" frames (since my '91 Trek 990) and all of the 18" frames that I have ever tried were too big. Most of them were FS rigs since this is the first SS frame that I have. I have never been the one to worry if my bike was set up "correctly" I just ride what feels good. I have never noticed too much weight over the rear axle either. I do ride a lot of wheelies, but they are planned. The small frame may suit me too because I still race BMX on 20" and 24" bikes and that is what I feel at home on. Maybe before I buy another SS frame, I should ride someones bigger frame.
non taken :D

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some good info so far. When I saw the available sizes I knew that getting the "right" one may be a challenge. I kind of fall between sizes. I have had bikes both to big and to small for me. In the big bike I was way to stretched out and the small one was so twitchy that I couldn't keep it on a narrow trail. Looks like riding style will be a big factor. A little bit short and fast handling or a little long and slower handling.

·
Registered
573 Posts
That's quite a personal choice that depends on many aspects.

I'm 5'6", 30" inseam, and ride a 16" frame, because I like the way a smaller frame responds.

The stem I use on it is a 100mm 0 rise and sits all the way down on top of the headset, wide flat bars. That's another reason I wanted a small. I could go a tad lower but it's a good compromise for climbing/going downhill as it is. A medium would be too high already.

The seat position is ok, seat post clamp smack in the middle of the rails.

In short, I could ride a medium but I would be too "upright" (everything is relative...) and I may not like the handling as much.

I hope this is not too confusing...

Maurice

·
Registered
573 Posts
porkchop said:
[...]
In the big bike I was way to stretched out and the small one was so twitchy that I couldn't keep it on a narrow trail. Looks like riding style will be a big factor. A little bit short and fast handling or a little long and slower handling.
Didn't catch that. FWIW the small frame -for me- is still a tad on the slow handling side on tight singletrack. Which is good I think since the bike is otherwise quite fast.

Maurice

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maurice said:
Didn't catch that. FWIW the small frame -for me- is still a tad on the slow handling side on tight singletrack. Which is good I think since the bike is otherwise quite fast.

Maurice
Thanks, My experience was with my I-Drive I originally bought a small frame. I got "lucky" when it came time to replace the frame for the second time. The LBS had a medium frame in stock. I tried it with the same bar/stem set up and I like the fit to this day. I wasn't uncomfortable on the small but I had a heck of a time controlling it. It steered much to fast. I spent more time off the trail than on.

·
Registered
578 Posts
porkchop said:
Thanks, My experience was with my I-Drive I originally bought a small frame. I got "lucky" when it came time to replace the frame for the second time. The LBS had a medium frame in stock. I tried it with the same bar/stem set up and I like the fit to this day. I wasn't uncomfortable on the small but I had a heck of a time controlling it. It steered much to fast. I spent more time off the trail than on.
Porkchop,
Check your PM's

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.