Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swapped cranks on the SS last night, and whilst comparing my old Surly ring to the brand new one, I noticed no difference. After over 6 months of beating on it in all conditions, hopping logs without a bash guard, and occasionally being lazy with chain cleaning, I think I could wash the old ring off and it would be look brand new. No wear whatsoever. Impressive, most impressive...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
ionsmuse said:
Swapped cranks on the SS last night, and whilst comparing my old Surly ring to the brand new one, I noticed no difference. After over 6 months of beating on it in all conditions, hopping logs without a bash guard, and occasionally being lazy with chain cleaning, I think I could wash the old ring off and it would be look brand new. No wear whatsoever. Impressive, most impressive...:thumbsup:
that sounds really good, i´m just thinking about getting one of those rings too...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Be careful with the log-hopping part. I just bent one (36t x 104mm) a couple weeks ago going over a log pile. A little crescent-wrench work straightened it just fine, but that kind of damage isn't covered by warranty. I don't feel like having to walk back to the trailhead again, so I put a bash guard back on.

·
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cloughja said:
Be careful with the log-hopping part.
I've got an e-13 on order for the new cranks. Durability aside, the durn thing doesn't slide very well on rough pine bark. There's a local log that, 4 of 5 times thus far, I've stalled out when the ring refuses to slide easily. I'm going technology over technique on this one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.